The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 05:48 AM
alauhog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to put my 2 cents in.
Yes I’m new to the ( Harley Family )
No I don’t work in a cubical
Yes I made 6 digits last year
Bought my 2011 Fatboy Lo and first thing I did was to order ( Bags, Windshield, Engine Guard and Sissy Bar ) in fact it’s sitting in my local Harley shop getting everything installed. While I’m 10,000 miles away from home in Russia working offshore. Will be there until I return in 4 ½ months
Was able to ride for 2 weeks before I had to return to work.
At 45 years old I finally found myself in a position where I can do something I wanted to do since I was a little boy. I now own a Harley. I ride in Boots, Jeans, Long sleeve tee shirt, with a ¾ Harley Helmet.
When I pass another rider ( Harley, Honda , BMW, doesn’t matter) I give a wave, not because I think I’m a bad *** biker but because I’m giving respect to another rider. Whether He/She in leather or a yellow canary suit.
In the 2 weeks I had on my bike I put 300 miles in the seat. Doesn’t sound like much but I enjoyed each and every mile I rode.
I didn’t buy a Harley so people would think I’m a ( Biker ) I bought it because it what I wanted.
So maybe I’m a poser or whatever else you ( Bad *** Bikers ) want to call me .
I RIDE BECAUSE I LIKE TO RIDE

Old 07-03-2011, 06:01 AM
Garandman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast2live
Im one of the new guys who have been lucky enough to have someone take me under their wing. Hes been riding longer than ive been alive and im 38 now. One of the things that posers dont understand is that you have to admit you are new to the game and willing to learn before anyone worth a **** is going to teach you. If you go into this pretending you know it all and have been riding forever than you miss out learning a great deal the easy way instead of the hard way. //
Is being a "biker" about riding or about lifestyle?

Most of my friends, regardless of brand say they are "riders" or "motorcyclists" and would correct anyone that called them a "biker" because they believe it connotes a lifestyle for which a motorcycle is only a peripheral accessory.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:13 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by alauhog
I would like to put my 2 cents in.
Yes I’m new to the ( Harley Family )
No I don’t work in a cubical
Yes I made 6 digits last year
Bought my 2011 Fatboy Lo and first thing I did was to order ( Bags, Windshield, Engine Guard and Sissy Bar ) in fact it’s sitting in my local Harley shop getting everything installed. While I’m 10,000 miles away from home in Russia working offshore. Will be there until I return in 4 ½ months
Was able to ride for 2 weeks before I had to return to work.
At 45 years old I finally found myself in a position where I can do something I wanted to do since I was a little boy. I now own a Harley. I ride in Boots, Jeans, Long sleeve tee shirt, with a ¾ Harley Helmet..
I didn’t buy a Harley so people would think I’m a ( Biker ) I bought it because it what I wanted.
So maybe I’m a poser or whatever else you ( Bad *** Bikers ) want to call me .
I RIDE BECAUSE I LIKE TO RIDE
Nothing wrong with your attitude, but it's not what the OP was posting about; he had a point about phony people. I would make one suggestion for you though, get the Ride Like A Pro video, some small cones and do the practice work, and you'll come off like someone with some serious saddle time and save yourself from that eventual parking lot dumping. Don't just watch the video; that doesn't work.

I know because I'm badass ex-Coast Guard Machinery Tech 3rd Class Petty Officer, 27 year drunk and 22 years now sober! Man, that was a long time ago!

Old 07-03-2011, 07:45 AM
dothedoo
Tourer

If a bad azz outlaw 1%'er is a true biker, is a bad azz outlaw Asian gang member in a loudcanned Subura a gear head?

Old 07-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Dilemma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe i've watched too many movies
I watched "Heat" last night speaking of movies.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:21 AM
fast2live
Tourer

Originally Posted by Garandman
Is being a "biker" about riding or about lifestyle?

Most of my friends, regardless of brand say they are "riders" or "motorcyclists" and would correct anyone that called them a "biker" because they believe it connotes a lifestyle for which a motorcycle is only a peripheral accessory.
I wish i could answer that but i cant. The guy who has taken me under his wing lives and breaths bikes and has since the 70s. Works enough to be able to ride and build cool old bikes. When i think "biker" i always think of him. He describes himself as just an old biker and thats how ill always look at him. His life has revolved around bikes and always will. He never had any kids or wanted to do anything other than ride and turn wrenches. For him its not a lifestyle its his whole life. He doesnt go to bike nights, never rode with a club although hes been approached by many.....to me hes a biker. Compared to him ill always be a motorcycle enthusiast. I know ive got it bad. Ive never got the feeling i get riding that i got from racing cars. Motorcycles mechanically fascinate me the way cars used to and im having a blast making the transition. I still cant picture calling myself a biker even years from now so who knows??? I do know i havent changed since i started riding. I didnt get a bike to be cool or tough or to impress anyone. I dont think im any better or worse than anyone who rides something different or doesnt ride at all.......so after all that all i can say is i have no idea.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:13 AM
rastajacob
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fast2live
I wish i could answer that but i cant. The guy who has taken me under his wing lives and breaths bikes and has since the 70s. Works enough to be able to ride and build cool old bikes. When i think "biker" i always think of him. He describes himself as just an old biker and thats how ill always look at him. His life has revolved around bikes and always will. He never had any kids or wanted to do anything other than ride and turn wrenches. For him its not a lifestyle its his whole life. He doesnt go to bike nights, never rode with a club although hes been approached by many.....to me hes a biker. Compared to him ill always be a motorcycle enthusiast. I know ive got it bad. Ive never got the feeling i get riding that i got from racing cars. Motorcycles mechanically fascinate me the way cars used to and im having a blast making the transition. I still cant picture calling myself a biker even years from now so who knows??? I do know i havent changed since i started riding. I didnt get a bike to be cool or tough or to impress anyone. I dont think im any better or worse than anyone who rides something different or doesnt ride at all.......so after all that all i can say is i have no idea.

This...

Old 07-03-2011, 09:55 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by rastajacob
This...
+1!

Old 07-03-2011, 10:00 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't know the true definition of "biker" either, but I know how to spot a fake one.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:07 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I know some people who bought harleys and immediately turned into dicks....does that count?

Quick Reply: Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??