The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:21 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Garandman
I don't think he's saying that buying a new bike makes you a poser. It's the "Badass in a box" that makes everyone puke.

Pulled up to Boston HD a few weeks ago on a Friday night. There were three guys there dressed in Harley uniform: flat black brain bucket, black tshirt, jeans, ****-kickers: but all of it looked like they'd just taken it out of the box. All three of them appeared to be in their late 30's and never been in shape in their lives. One of them even had a German-style helmet with the rim. I've never seen a more ridiculous, Gumby looking crew in my life.

I wear a hi-viz coat (usually) and white FF helmet (always) and never been a "cool guy." I just ride. What drives me nuts are the riders who wear regular riding gear on their other bikes, but when they get on their HD it's the HD uniform. You fool no one, not even yourself. Halloween is in October.
Question: What is this "regular riding gear" that you speak of?

Old 07-01-2011, 08:23 AM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,432 Likes on 2,203 Posts

yeah....but....WTF is blueberry shorts???????..................

Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Crex39
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know where I fall in this, or how much I care. I have always been a blue collar guy up until a few years ago. in the 80's and 90's up until about 2004 I wrenched for a living on factory equipment. I wore greasy jeans, pocket t-shirts or concert shirts, my hair was longer and wore work boots. I spent my nights and weekends partying pretty hard, but I did not ride Harleys, as my priorities were making child support payments and paying my bar tab while keeping a roof over my head and keeping my '71 Nova on the road.. I always liked Harleys and wanted one and partied with a few bikers when I could. I joined the volunteer fire department in 2002, went to a bunch of schools, got my paramedic cert. These guys got me riding, I bought a V-star, that lasted a couple of months, and I traded it at a loss to get my Superglide. I got a job at the V.A. joined the National Guard at 40, went to Iraq as a combat medic and did my 6 years with them and now I am out. Wrenching on my and my wife's bikes had me dressing like the old days, jeans and a t shirt, work boots, and I am growing out my hair now that I don't have to cut it every two weeks again. The only real change from 20 years ago when I wasn't riding is instead of concert shirts, I wear shirts from Dealerships or rallys and I wear a biker style leather when its cold. The question I guess I have is: is it really a badass in a box look, or is it a high jacked blue collar look the working man had back in the 70's-90's? The bottom line is as long as you can live with what you see in the mirror does it matter?

Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by scoteh
Scoteh, that is a completely different thread, dontcha know

Old 07-01-2011, 08:25 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I think he means like if someone owns a busa and a harley, that they wear non harley stuff while on the busa, then switch to harley stuff on the moco.
sort of like they have 2 wardrobes.....one for each motorcycle.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:38 AM
matt1080
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dilemma
because a lot of people don't share that idel. You can't deny it.
+1000

Old 07-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

All you bad *** "bikers" who think own biker culture are funny. Your stories about how you grew up wrenching and living the "life" get old after a while. The stories seem like a internet dick measuring contest. I am tired of all of the pathetic attempts to make a majority of us feel inferior. The fact that real "bikers" wouldn't be complaining about **** on the internet tells me one of two things. Either these internet bikers are full of ****, or they are has-been with an inferiority complex. A real 1%er wouldn't give two ***** about this post since I don't matter. Any "biker" who does respond is just showing his true colors.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:06 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaved Ice
All you bad *** "bikers" who think own biker culture are funny. Your stories about how you grew up wrenching and living the "life" get old after a while. The stories seem like a internet dick measuring contest. I am tired of all of the pathetic attempts to make a majority of us feel inferior. The fact that real "bikers" wouldn't be complaining about **** on the internet tells me one of two things. Either these internet bikers are full of ****, or they are has-been with an inferiority complex. A real 1%er wouldn't give two ***** about this post since I don't matter. Any "biker" who does respond is just showing his true colors.
I'm no 1% and probably not a "biker" by your definitions and don't care, but I'll answer anyway.
I'm a has-been. There was a time when I rode and partied hard with some really hard people. The kind I don't measure up to, so you won't either....
Now, I'm just a working stiff, who still likes the old bikes, old riders who know the score and don't care to about the "majority" any more than we did back in the day.
Internet is a wonderful thing... Its just like a bar where we can swap stories and make fun of squares, but without drinking all day long and getting DUI on the way home. You are simply entertainment. Congrats.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Garandman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
let's ask gypsy

Well, the guy who built my ride is a redhead & he's always been pretty hot...But the dude I married has brown hair. I'm equal opportunity like that!

Quick Reply: Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??