The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

I'm developing my theory on all this but it's based partly on that old foundation of "earned" versus "bought"

And that's all that needs to be said in a nutshell , but tell you now your gonna **** off the masses in here . Welcome to the club

Old 11-20-2013, 09:10 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker

And that's all that needs to be said in a nutshell , but tell you now your gonna **** off the masses in here . Welcome to the club
Talk about ruffled feathers. Try to tell someone that took out a loan with no down that they are merely renting that bike and they get all pissy.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I was hard on ya before, but dangit, I'm actually beginning to like you.
Step aside of the rant and you often have us ol' duffers (some of us still ripping and shredding), looking at the crowd on the Dragon or the gas station, and wondering just exactly what happened or just exactly where ARE the REST of us?
Don't get me wrong completely though; I have YUGE respect for the crotch rocket crowd, or at least the contingent me and my crew can't pass. The HOG's? They're always just in the freakin' way.
Rock On, Garth!

Old 11-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Homeward Bound
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you. I'll take a bow ... exit ... and immediately embarrassing myself by stalling my bike or trying to ride off forgetting that I've left the steering lock on.

BTDN.

You know, in truth, I find the vast majority of biker literature huge disappointing and that includes Barger's, partly because he does not go far enough into many of the controversies and probably because his ghost writers aren't bikers either or are pandering to the market. It's loses something in the translation.

No one has written the 'The Five Rings of motorcycling' yet and perhaps we should be grateful for that. Pirsig, who is still alive BTW, did not quite get it, despite all the fuss about his book. "Close, but no cigar" ... the guy rode a 305 cc 1964 Honda SuperHawk. Or perhaps he just wasn't writing about it? As he said, "It's not very factual on motorcycles, either".

In my day, at the most elementary level, there was a difference between a biker and a motorcyclist, or a motorcycle enthusiast, and the relationship between the two wasn't without some mutual respect. I have a lot of respect for many motorcycle enthusiasts. They often put in many more miles than bikers, had excellent mechanical skills and were equally committed to their own lifestyle or tribe, but they still weren't bikers.

But where have we got to now ... hasn't it gone from enthusiasm to conspicuous consumerism?

Gypsylady has one of the other essences about it, it's something about need rather than want ... and then following that through to commitment.

I'm not a martial artist but I am sure the senseis see the same things when a new student walks through the door.

Miyamoto Musashi, who wrote the Book of 5 Rings, was a cool guy. Legend says he became the best swordsman in Japan and then gave it up and spent his last years just wandering around with a wood sword, still defeating wouldbes and wannabes just wanting to be left alone to contemplate and appreciate life.

I'm sure he would have ridden a Shovelhead in flip flops too.

Robert Pirsig on his, albeit revolutionary at the time, Honda SuperHawk

Last edited by Homeward Bound; 11-20-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:40 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I was hard on ya before, but dangit, I'm actually beginning to like you.
Step aside of the rant and you often have us ol' duffers (some of us still ripping and shredding), looking at the crowd on the Dragon or the gas station, and wondering just exactly what happened or just exactly where ARE the REST of us?
Don't get me wrong completely though; I have YUGE respect for the crotch rocket crowd, or at least the contingent me and my crew can't pass. The HOG's? They're always just in the freakin' way.
Rock On, Garth!
Those of us who survived have blended into the background and do our own things with a few select friends if that , too damn many peacocks out there anymore . Used to mean something ,now it's all been drowned with mediocrity .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 11-21-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:19 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those of us who survived have blended into the background and do our on things with a few select friends if that , too damn many peacocks out there anymore . Used to mean something ,now it's all been drowned with mediocrity .
pretty sure I'm the only one at the marina with shovelhead wiring diagram tattooed on my leg, but trying to blend in ...

Old 11-21-2013, 08:30 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by alkay191
pretty sure I'm the only one at the marina with shovelhead wiring diagram tattooed on my leg, but trying to blend in ...
I thought about getting a twin cam wiring diagram but ran out of flesh. Prolly would get me some street cred at the next HOG chapter meeting with something like that....

Old 11-21-2013, 08:41 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by alkay191
works for boats too, less youse got a diesel

Old 11-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

I have a sneaky suspicion if some of the old scooter trash in this forum got together for a beer it would turn out to be a night to remember.

OS

Old 11-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Ya, but it would pale next to the nights of,say, the 70's - age, wisdom and mellow have changed some of our paces. Oddly though, at 60, I'm riding faster and harder than ever before - probably because we practice it so much, plus do cone work for slow handling. I got nothing left to prove, ever.
I like speed.
With OldSchool and Homeward in here now, it's given lease on some fresh perspective. Had me thinking about the 5 rings and the MC heirarchy, from wannabee to hangaround to friend to prospect to patch to...I recall seeing many quit, move to the mountains and isolate; Harleys parked on the porch next to the jug of shine.
They had nothing left to prove, no one they needed to impress.
I think most these guys at the hangouts aren't even aware of any of it; just the point of this thread.

Last edited by Quadancer; 11-21-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??