The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:08 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 11,069 Likes on 4,335 Posts

Originally Posted by anarchy67
+1 to that and I'd like to add that in my experience ALOT of the HARDCORE bikers I've known turned out to be the first ones to run when **** went down and were the first ones to tell on the ones who didn't.
If that's true, I feel sorry for you. With a name like anarchy67 I won't doubt you, but that's certainly not true on the East coast.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

am I missing much????

Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 AM
fourhour
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anarchy67
Sometimes i wonder if this a harley forum or an episode of "The View"
Very good analogy!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:03 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Guess not, gonna go to Starbucks on my Beemer

Old 08-08-2013, 10:20 AM
JaySwear
Road Captain

Originally Posted by firefighter616
Guess not, gonna go to Starbucks on my Beemer
I'll see you there, I'm going on my Harley!

I haven't changed MY lifestyle Dammit, I love my frappuccinos.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Nans94
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with most of the threads. The MOCO has changed to accommodate the rich urban biker..Back in the days when a Harley didn't cost almost as much as a house. I am a 53 yo woman who rides literally ever day, rain, snow, whatever. I don't claim to be a bad ***, but I can hold my own. I started on dirt bikes as a kid and started ridin Harleys over 30 years ago. I see the newbies too. They take a course and all of a sudden they have a Harley and an attitude. Harley has geared itself towards these people with their 250,000.00 homes and their no limit credit cards. JMHO. I am old school. I have a sticker on my oil tank that says.. " I was a biker before being a biker was cool " I live by that.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:26 AM
CCgolfer
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best friend of mine was a 1%. I know how these guys are. Twisty, frenchman, and a few others in this thread are the real deal. Everyone else should ride their bikes and have fun but you ain't no biker. Don't be a dick and listen more than you talk, you could learn something.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Seadog57
Advanced
Default Not Really!

Bought my first Harley in 08, its a Sporty got it cause it cost too damn much to commute to work in my Mustang GT. Its my first bike in 20 years but not the only one. I started out on a Schwinn Stingray you know with the bannana seat and big slick on the back, then got a Honda 50, fit in the old mans trunk of his car! I then bought a Honda SL70 to go dirt riding and a couple of BulTaco's. My first bike was a Yamaha RD400 man that thing was fast, got married and had kids didn't get anothe bike till I bought the Sporty in 08. Plan to get an Ultra Classic in 2 more years when I have some bill's paid off. Am I a bad *** biker? Hell no just a guy who loves anything mechanical that floats, rolls, or fly's. I have a Harley Helmet ,a no name leather jacket and a good pair of boots. I collect Harley dealer shirts from all the states and country's I've been to cause I like'em! Don't belong to any club or group,ride and go where I want and show respect to all have never been hassled by anyone! If anything I have meet a lot of really nice people and the occasional jerk but thats life anywhere! Been to rolling thunder twice and do the occasional toys for tots ride. I have one tatoo a Sailor Jerry Anchor or my left arm served 20 years in Uncle Sam's canoe club! Do I care what anyone else thinks? NOPE!

Old 08-14-2013, 07:47 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Anyone who judges others particularly with a few minutes observation has problems both intellectually and factually.

If the OP was in the dealer each of the six times in the past 12 months and saw me in a knit shirt and slacks buy a new HD every time, he would not have a clue as to what I am about.

I started riding in 1956. I got the money by shooting foxes for the bounty. Yes, they gave bounty for them in Illinois in those years. Now you would go to jail.

I had to learn on my own how to keep it going. No service manuals. No internet. Tools? A pliers, screwdriver and even hammer. Started detasseling corn and working at a grocery store. Earned enough money to get a newer bike.

Went to the Army after H.S. Got out found a job and got a better bike. Got married raised a family but had some machine always. Mostly Honda CB models 160cc to 750 over the years.

I developed a dream that I would retire and tour all over on a motorcycle. Worked, saved, invested then at age 65 I bought the one bike that was not reachable during my working years a Harley. It was a 07 FXSTC. Vivid black dripping in chrome. It looked just like a motorcycle should look.

Then I decided that I should have each of the families of HD's. Seemed like a great idea to me since I have a passion for motorcycles. I have devoured at least three mc magazines per month for many decades. As I said I saved and invested. Those resources came from a full time job, part time jobs and overtime over many decades.

I ride 30K a year and have covered 49 states and most of Canada since retiring. I ride to 4 or 5 rallies per year. I have had 850 to over 1K rides in a single day several times a year. I rode 7K miles from Nov.1 to March 31th this past winter.

For Sturgis this year I did the 850 mile trip each way in 14 hours on a loaded down with gear Sportster just for the fun of it.

So when I go into the HD dealer and pop cash for a CVO Road Glide some **** ant looser who can't successful handle his financial life has absolutely no standing to judge me in any way that I don't fit his idea what a biker should be.

Are you reading this OP?

Am I a biker? I don't know. I am a passionate motorcycle enthusiast, I and I only work on my bikes. A dealer never sees them. I read about bikes. I look at bikes. And most of all I ride them at every opportunity that I can.

Have I been on drugs-no. Have I been in jail-no. But I have arrested drug dealers and put them in jail. Does that count?

If being a criminal makes one a biker or being poor then I never want to be a biker.

Last edited by lh4x4; 08-14-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:27 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Anyone who judges others particularly with a few minutes observation has problems both intellectually and factually.
We all make judgments on appearances within the first few seconds of meeting someone. Generally after a few minutes of conversation you can learn a lot.

Quick Reply: Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??