The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Proteus
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Buff58
I ware a full face helmet and a reflective jacket.
sorry, but:

just kidding you...

Old 05-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
Have read the labels in any of the stuff you buy from H-D?
There's nothing more corporate American that exploiting third-world countries for cheap labor and their natural resources.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:51 PM
RussH
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake911
There's nothing more corporate American that exploiting third-world countries for cheap labor and their natural resources.

Yep, "made in china"

Old 05-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's more than just cloths, look at the parts you buy to...

Old 05-29-2013, 11:02 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 16,962 Likes on 8,627 Posts

Originally Posted by hdgzr
Maybe the guy has taken his motorcycle course, obtained his endorsement and has finally reached a level in his life where he can afford what he's always wanted, possibly even saved enough to avoid the finance charges. Maybe he didn't have any gear, because he's never had a bike. Maybe he can finally live the dream and be able to ride down the road with the biggest grin on his face he's ever had.

Evidently this guy has joined the very crowd Frenchman preaches about. I jumped the gun a bit with my post. I don't claim to be a biker, like those mentioned, those that do deserve respect and the tag of "biker". I just ride a Harley; it's my fourth, if you count my Buell. Before that it was Hondas and Yamahas. And yeah, my office is a cubicle in a high rise. But for a brief moment most every day, I get to live in another world that exists when I climb on the back of my Harley.
I`m the same as you. I couldn`t afford a new Harley, so I bought a good used one. I don`t care about all of the glitz talked about; I just like to ride. I agree with Frenchman about the crowd that buys the new bikes, and trades them in after a few miles. That`s the bike I bought. I`m old enough to remember when I rode back in the 60s & 70s, and I had four Harleys and a couple of rice burners once upon a time. I don`t think that makes me less of a biker though. But hey, whatever turns you on.....

Old 06-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Gimp
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moparnut426
Ok, It irritates the crap out of me when someone, 2 people at work, buy a harley, in this case a pair of trikes, and think they are total bad asses. I mean litterly overnight they went from polaris snowmobile riders, and honda quad riders to a "bad *** biker" She even went a got a freekin tattoo on her lower forearm.
So she not only gave some money to someone for the bike, she also supported a local artist. Good girl!

And when she hopps on her trike, her elbows go up, her back arches, she lights up a cigarette, and puts on her best bad *** look.

The approved posture for making the ***** stick out and bounce. Plus a cancer stick to be sure she inhales deeply now and then.

I'm startin' to like this chick.

Total posers. Ive been riding bikes all my life, and have been on a harley for a while now, but I havent gone nutso over having a harley.
And why not? Smatterchew, anyway? Proud or sump'n?

Yes I give the metric guys crap, but they dish it back.
Do go on...

The other day I was in a dealer who had 2 stores, metric, and Harley. This dude came inn litterally wearing a pair of dress shorts, flops, and a golfers polo. Must have had cash cause while I was buying my Ultra he bought a street glide, a leather coat, a bunch of shirts, chaps, gloves, and boots. An overnight transformation.
Yes...and...?

Im sure he was gearing up for Sturgis, or Algona or something just so his ego could feel warm and fuzzy.
Sure of that, are ya? Wonder...hey, think maybe he just cashed in his retirement and did something he always wanted to do? Just because he could?

Naaaaah. Must be a no good poser.

Kind of a rant here, but man I wishthe POSERS would just stick to the leadwings,

Kasey
I'm thinking of telling you what I wish...but never mind. I think maybe you got it.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:46 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchman
...says the tough biker. I don't know if you get it, but you are part of the problem. We used to pull clowns like you off their bikes, where I come from. Just jump in your RV and have fun the next "bike week". Don't forget your wife and kids.
I really hope that the next yuppy-fad is around the corner, so that people like you decide to rather be in a boat or something similar. I wouldn't share the road with you if you were the last person on a bike. YUK!
Dayyyyyaaaaaaamm...Think I will just keep the Yamaha....A lot less complicated to own. So much for the Harley "brotherhood"

Love reading the forum though..No other brand is so divided amongst themselves. To think I was considering a Harley with all the old technology and workarounds, simply to belong to "something" special again.

I am beginning to understand Victory owners a little better.
Kind of like metric owners. they just ride. no dissing each others for how they dress or don't dress, what they ride or don't ride, Has to be a huge disappointment to stroke a check for a Harley then find it was nothing more than a superficial ideal, an illusion of the rebel we will never be, or once were.

Its too friggin complicated to step into this world today.....Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't....The avg Joe and Joan thinks everything that looks like a Harley is a Harley.

Its no wonder Victory sells bikes at the same cost and more and people drop $15K+ on new Yamaha Clones. There is only one really good reason to buy a Harley. The tank badge.

Many seem to agree when I read their words about other bikes that blantently ripped off the "classic" HD look and added modern technology, "It's nice, it handles better, it brakes better, its a lot faster, it may even be "more American"----- "but its not a Harley"

It simply is not a Harley.....so it apparently really isn't about the bike. Harley does not market a motorcycle. They haven't in years. They don't have to make a great modern marvel. They admittedly market a "lifestyle" A rebel who goes against the grain and joins a special breed of rider.

A glimpse into these entertaining forums reminds those of us "looking" it's really a mirage. No matter how much money we have to drop, we will never be accepted into the "exclusive" club (maybe because we can pay cash and not get out hands dirty or knuckles busted) . I get it. Other than that the bike really isn't all that American, technologically at the top of the game, It is purdy though, But so are a lot of motorcycles.

I have been perusing and deciding and looking at Sportsters if only because they are easier to maintain and bullet proof. Against the rip off Yamaha Bolt the Sportys looked weak technologically. Not to mention the BTs are more desirable to me. This thread has been a wake up call and particularly the quoted post.

I don't want to be part of any "problem" I just want to ride like I have for the past 30 years. The last Harley I owned was purchased in the 80's before HD was "hip" and owners were really united.

I sold it to someone just like me now in the 90's for way too much money. and never looked back until now. I actually thought about getting another and recapturing the brotherhood I enjoyed then.

Thanks for saving me a pile of money and you some more grief. You see I believe today most people who buy Harleys do care what others think. Even the old "real" bikers like you. Far more than those of us who ride Metric cruisers or Vics. We ride alone. Maybe we are the real rebels. Who knows.

Rant over.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:53 AM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

*** no!....A beemer has!

Old 06-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Good luck finding that ol' "brotherhood" in your metric or euro circles too. You may find yourself some camaraderie in with the Wingers, providing you are fat, retired, and have plenty of aches to discuss at the meal stops.
The closest thing to the old bike family we had back in the 70's is probably more in very small groups of friends and the outlaw nation, but of course, that can come with a price and some very difficult side effects.
Heck, because of the way I ride, I only have ONE brother (on a modified Yamamamama) I really hang with. Our RC is just a 'thing' where we get together to ride way too slow, hang out to eat and talk bikes; I wouldn't expect one to have my back.
Me and my pard DID wind up in a pack of crotch rockets and found ourselves totally in tune with their ride; and they thot it was a hoot to have 2 guys on cruisers old enuff to be their dads outriding some of them in the twisties. Some, not all. We plan to meet up with 'em again.

Talkin' about odd...a guy goes and spends more on a Wing than a hog and rides it like it was a mule-drawn hay wagon. Those things can freekin' HAUL with the right rider.

Last edited by Quadancer; 06-02-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:32 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Good luck finding that ol' "brotherhood" in your metric or euro circles too. You may find yourself some camaraderie in with the Wingers, providing you are fat, retired, and have plenty of aches to discuss at the meal stops.
The closest thing to the old bike family we had back in the 70's is probably more in very small groups of friends and the outlaw nation, but of course, that can come with a price and some very difficult side effects.
Heck, because of the way I ride, I only have ONE brother (on a modified Yamamamama) I really hang with. Our RC is just a 'thing' where we get together to ride way too slow, hang out to eat and talk bikes; I wouldn't expect one to have my back.
Me and my pard DID wind up in a pack of crotch rockets and found ourselves totally in tune with their ride; and they thot it was a hoot to have 2 guys on cruisers old enuff to be their dads outriding some of them in the twisties. Some, not all. We plan to meet up with 'em again.

Talkin' about odd...a guy goes and spends more on a Wing than a hog and rides it like it was a mule-drawn hay wagon. Those things can freekin' HAUL with the right rider.
I understand Wing owners. They are more about Buicks than motorcycles. The Valkyrie was supposed to be the *** hauler. The new F6B will find those riders you are talking about. LOL

I think I may have placed too much emphasis on "brotherhood". I expected more UNITY, Corvette owners don't slam those who can afford new ones vs old ones. They are ALL Corvette owners. The prefer their own "C series" but respect all. They may not have "Covette tattooed on their bodies but if it were not for the old school MC clubs neither would modern day "bikers" (whatever that term means anymore). Tattoos are a throwback to the 1%er world. There are no metric circles except sportbikes. Metric cruiser riders and I am finding new younger Harley Riders are the real independents. I don't see a whole lot of Harley garb on young HD riders. Its almost as if they refuse to succumb to that part of the experience.

OTOH Harley riders hang out at a wide choice of those places without officially joining a group . Kind of like going to a sport's bar that is supporting your fav team on Sunday. Wearing the jerseys and caps and by doing so doesn't mean you actually play for that team. Pull up on a Raider with Harley Garb on LOL The avg Joe won't blink. A Harley rider like the "real biker" who posted above my last post, may scream blasphemy!!

I just don't feel that "judgement" nor read about it in any other forum of common branded bikes. Yeah you get the former HD rider or new metric rider who disses the mechanics of the Harley and in many cases this cannot be logically defended. I did some research into their rants.

Who else uses cam tensioners the size and possibly material of a pair of dice and considers that part a maintenance item (but does not list it as so) or weakens well designed parts over time to save a dollar on a premium priced exclusive motorcycle? HD started using the more expensive Timkin bearings in 1954 to solve the crank slop issue and all of a sudden the "traditional" old roller bearing design is back with all the issues Timkin resolved!! Welded vs Bolt on crank assys. Shifters falling off. Aftermarket parts that USED to be standard or at least should be today.

I and the MOCO knows new owners do do this depth of research and when they do their loyal defenders will rush to the gates. They have their minds set on their "life long dream" and completely disregard the mechanical history in favor of the social history and intended social benefits. I cannot afford to because I view time as more important than money and I absolutely hate wasting a great day wrenching. Someone should do a Sociology study on Harley Davidson. Would be a great read. These forums sure are.

However all that said about mechanics, I am not likely to put on more than 4000-5000 miles a year.( and I don't even want and never have owned a trailer). Before I moved east, 300+ mile rides every weekend plus the daily commute were routine. Long Term Reliability was a concern in the desert. So any late model or new HD would be fine for me for years. If I liked the performance out the gate.

The entry price is not a factor anymore. All brands of new bigger twins cost within a couple thousand of each other. Many choices. Plus Anyone who has as little as $5K to burn can buy a late model Sporty or for another $3K or $4k buy a TC Dyna and claim to own a Harley. Thats where the complication begins LOL

Last edited by TenMidgets; 06-02-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??