The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by logdon17
Jesus, the back and forth on this thread is worse than the housewife shows my wife watches. How about all these "real bikers" put their computers down and get on their sleds.......
I watched one of those one night for the first time a few weeks ago.... put me right to sleep. This is getting a little boring too. I think this gets beat to death at least once a year here.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Ittl be trailer season in a few weeks then things will slow down in here.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 PM
DM1975
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skidder
I wonder if people who fish get into these discussions.
Ya know, the guys in boats out in the ocean with nets in the water baggin limits and fighting the sea. Or the guys in hip waders fly fishin in a ragin river after walking 10 miles to reach the perfect spot, the guys standing on a frozen lake in the middle of Saskatchewan at -40...who's the real fisherman?
I bet to an extent they do. Anywhere there is a diverse selection of people that share a common interest you will have tier groups that feel they are exclusive for whatever reason. For instance I am a ham radio operator. I don't put my call sign on my license plate or go around with flashing lights during storms, I just like talking on the radio once in a while when nothing else is going on. The storm chasers think they are the bomb, the QRP'rs (guys that talk long ways with minimal power) think they are it, big amp people that have the cash for the antennas and power output wont even acknowledge a weak signal sometimes, and the tube radio guys think everyone else is technically inferior. All of this because someone passed a couple tests that are only 25 questions long.

In the tactical firearms world it is also the same. There it is high money, high dollar equipment rules. The more and better equipment you have the more legit you supposedly are.

I also mess around with high power rockets. There it is the high power guys against the model rocket guys. People that have the money to push higher and faster sometimes get a big head. Then you have commercial motor guys and people who build their own motors. One group thinks they are the true rocket scientists, and the other group just have money to burn (literally). Most everyone in this hobby are extremely friendly and helpful, but superiority complexes can still be found.

And yet another hobby of mine is salt water reef aquariums. Here you have people with different schools of thought. One group says that no substrate is a must to keep a oligotrophic system for coral growth, while others think a eutrophic system can be better. Some rely on water changes alone, and others dosing to add vital ions. Each group are the "real" innovators in the hobby and look down on the others. This is all a highly generalized view of this, but the big ***** argument exists everywhere to some degree.

It's all just silly I think.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by DM1975
I bet to an extent they do. Anywhere there is a diverse selection of people that share a common interest you will have tier groups that feel they are exclusive for whatever reason. For instance I am a ham radio operator. I don't put my call sign on my license plate or go around with flashing lights during storms, I just like talking on the radio once in a while when nothing else is going on. The storm chasers think they are the bomb, the QRP'rs (guys that talk long ways with minimal power) think they are it, big amp people that have the cash for the antennas and power output wont even acknowledge a weak signal sometimes, and the tube radio guys think everyone else is technically inferior. All of this because someone passed a couple tests that are only 25 questions long.

In the tactical firearms world it is also the same. There it is high money, high dollar equipment rules. The more and better equipment you have the more legit you supposedly are.

I also mess around with high power rockets. There it is the high power guys against the model rocket guys. People that have the money to push higher and faster sometimes get a big head. Then you have commercial motor guys and people who build their own motors. One group thinks they are the true rocket scientists, and the other group just have money to burn (literally). Most everyone in this hobby are extremely friendly and helpful, but superiority complexes can still be found.

And yet another hobby of mine is salt water reef aquariums. Here you have people with different schools of thought. One group says that no substrate is a must to keep a oligotrophic system for coral growth, while others think a eutrophic system can be better. Some rely on water changes alone, and others dosing to add vital ions. Each group are the "real" innovators in the hobby and look down on the others. This is all a highly generalized view of this, but the big ***** argument exists everywhere to some degree.

Life is much better when you can just admit you have a small ***** and move on!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by skidder
I wonder if people who fish get into these discussions.
Ya know, the guys in boats out in the ocean with nets in the water baggin limits and fighting the sea. Or the guys in hip waders fly fishin in a ragin river after walking 10 miles to reach the perfect spot, the guys standing on a frozen lake in the middle of Saskatchewan at -40...who's the real fisherman?
That hardcore schmoot fishing at subzero gets MY vote!
Hey, I ain't gonna really knock a guy for not being a fabricator, or for having more money than God; but I'll lift up the kid who saves his cashier money to get off his Hondo and get his first Sporty, the Beemer rider who even rides to work in the rain, the dudes who would get a divorce before stopping their rides. I even can respect a RUB, if he/she is acting like themselves.
Just don't try to play me. I got enough fools to laugh at as it is.

Hey, whatever happened to Frenchy? He still around?

Last edited by Quadancer; 04-04-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:32 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
I've a small *****..
feel much better
carry on

moving on up

Old 04-04-2013, 10:15 PM
DM1975
Road Captain

Originally Posted by soft 02
Right? No more stuffing socks, hiding at the urinal, or hearing the laughter? Of course that's.... Not me.... Just someone I know.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:19 PM
DM1975
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Quadancer
That hardcore schmoot fishing at subzero gets MY vote!
Hey, I ain't gonna really knock a guy for not being a fabricator, or for having more money than God; but I'll lift up the kid who saves his cashier money to get off his Hondo and get his first Sporty, the Beemer rider who even rides to work in the rain, the dudes who would get a divorce before stopping their rides. I even can respect a RUB, if he/she is acting like themselves.
Just don't try to play me. I got enough fools to laugh at as it is.

Hey, whatever happened to Frenchy? He still around?
I have a neighbor with a BMW. That guy rides his bike in the snow, cold, rain... Every day I see him head to work and back on it. You see him and he just looks out of place, like he should be on an old panhead or something. Still... No patches on his jacket.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Aha. You get it.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:09 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by DM1975

Then there are the wristwatch guys. And the audio equipment guys....

Quick Reply: Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??