The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 AM
DM1975
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me it always seems like their are people out there that are more concerned with playing dress up than actually riding. I understand wanting to wear leather riding gear for protection, but for some it seems like it is all just fashion accessories.

You can take and dress these guys up and stick them right next to a real biker dressed alike and can tell the difference between the two immediately. Mainly because it isn't about the close you wear or the words you say, but more the attitude and actions that tell the story.

In the end I guess it all really doesn't matter. I do my thing, you do yours, and we all enjoy riding our bikes. I've been riding for over twenty years and have friends that just recently got into it, but I don't think any less of them because they just started riding. We all make it here at our own pace. Some of them are just the same as before they started riding and some of them it seems like it was a defining moment in their life and things changed for them. A couple of them seem really more interested in "looking" like a biker than anything and that's ok, but I do think its kinda silly. Not that they changed the way they dress, but more so that they let that aspect of it define them.

I don't let this stuff bother me, it's just my observations. Their is definitely a biker lifestyle though. Anyone that doesn't see that just doesn't have a clue. Not everyone that rides a bike fits in that lifestyle and maybe that hurts some of their feelings, who knows. I don't see why it would, you don't have to be a biker to enjoy motorcycles or ride all the time, but enjoying motorcycles and riding all the time doesn't make you a biker.

I could care less one way or another where I fit in to all of this, I just enjoy the freedom and like doing what I want without being hassled. I have a lot of hobbies and do many things other than ride a motorcycle and no single thing defines me, other than me. I surely don't let any of them change my attitude. More so I believe that my attitude is why I do the things I do.

No matter where you fit in, have fun and stay safe...

Old 04-04-2013, 11:08 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well said DM

Old 04-04-2013, 11:20 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

What's with all of these dicks that think they get to decide who is worthy?

I like to eat, but I have no interest in living the fat bastard lifestyle.

I own a boat, but I'm not a salty dog or a Somali pirate.

I take a **** everyday, but I'm not a proctologist.

So why do I have to be a biker if I want to ride a bike sometimes?

Old 04-04-2013, 11:37 AM
DM1975
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rubberfrog
So why do I have to be a biker if I want to ride a bike sometimes?
I don't see why you would need to be.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:39 AM
DM1975
Road Captain

Originally Posted by alkay191
well said DM
Thanks. By the way, I love that bike in your sig. Really kick ***!

Old 04-04-2013, 12:03 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by DM1975
Thanks. By the way, I love that bike in your sig. Really kick ***!
thanks man. I built that bike just few years ago to replicate the old Shovel Superglide I rode back in mid 80s... my "glory days".
this thing run like a swiss watch for me all over SoCal. the pic is from the top of Malibu canyon somewhere.

Last edited by alkay191; 04-04-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Definitions come and go and it seems that everybody has their own views on the subject. It's really not that complicated, you guys are over-analyzing it. I guess 'cause it's been a long winter. Here's a good one:

THE BIKER'S CREED
I ride because it is fun.

I ride because I enjoy the freedom I feel from being exposed to the elements, and the vulnerability to the danger that is intrinsic to riding.

I do not ride because it is fashionable to do so.

I ride my machine, not wear it. My machine is not a symbol of status. It exists simply for me, and me alone.

My machine is not a toy. It is an extension of my being, and I will treat it accordingly, with the same respect as I have for myself.

I strive to understand the inner-workings of my machine, from the most basic to the most complex.

I will learn everything I can about my machine, so that I am reliant upon no one but myself for its health and well being.

I strive to constantly better my skill of control over my machine. I will learn its limits, and use my skill to become one with my machine so that we may keep each other alive. I am the master, it is the servant. Working together in harmony, we will become an invincible team.

I do not fear death. I will, however, do all possible to avoid death prematurely. Fear is the enemy, not death. Fear on the highway leads to death, therefore I will not let fear be my master. I will master it.

My machines will outlive me. Therefore, they are my legacy. I will care for them for future bikers to cherish as I have cherished them, whoever they may be.

I do not ride to gain attention, respect, or fear from those that do NOT ride, nor do I wish to intimidate or annoy them. For those that do not know me, all I wish from them is to ignore me. For those that desire to know me, I will share with them the truth of myself, so that they might understand me and not fear others like me.

I will never be the aggressor on the highway. However, should others mess with me, their aggression will be dealt with in as severe manner as I can cast upon them.

I will show respect to other bikers more experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will learn from them all I can. However, if my respect is not acknowledged or appreciated, it will end.

I will not show disrespect to other bikers less experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will teach them what I can. However, if they show me disrespect, they will be slapped.

It will be my task to mentor new riders, that so desire, into the lifestyle of the biker, so that the breed shall continue. I shall instruct them, as I have been instructed by those before me. I shall preserve and honor traditions of bikers before me, and I will pass them on unaltered.

I will not judge other bikers on their choice of machine, their appearance, or their profession. I will judge them only on their conduct as bikers. I am proud of my accomplishments as a biker, though I will not flaunt them to others. If they ask, I will share them.

I will stand ready to help any other biker that truly needs my help.

I will never ask another biker to do for me what I can do for myself.

I am not a part-time biker. I am a biker when, and where ever I go. I am proud to be a biker, and hide my chosen lifestyle from no one. I ride because I love freedom, independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me. But most of all, I ride to better understand myself, my machine, the lands in which I ride, and to seek out and know other bikers like myself.

-Anonymous-

I don't know who wrote it, but I think it says a lot about what a biker is.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:27 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Angelfire36
Definitions come and go and it seems that everybody has their own views on the subject. It's really not that complicated, you guys are over-analyzing it. I guess 'cause it's been a long winter. Here's a good one:

THE BIKER'S CREED

many ride only because their friends/co-workers/husbands do. I've met several women who were strong-armed by their hubbies into riding their own

I ride because I enjoy the freedom I feel from being exposed to the elements, and the vulnerability to the danger that is intrinsic to riding.

how much of that can you experience in 2 miles from your house to local Hooters bike night?

again, a lot do

I ride my machine, not wear it. My machine is not a symbol of status. It exists simply for me, and me alone.

is that why there is more room on dealers floor for clothes than bikes?

My machine is not a toy. It is an extension of my being, and I will treat it accordingly, with the same respect as I have for myself.

really? I'm sure every orthodontist h-d owners feels that way

I strive to understand the inner-workings of my machine, from the most basic to the most complex.

BWAHAHAHA !!!!!

I will learn everything I can about my machine, so that I am reliant upon no one but myself for its health and well being.

the dealer can change the oil every other year whether it needs it or not

I strive to constantly better my skill of control over my machine. I will learn its limits, and use my skill to become one with my machine so that we may keep each other alive. I am the master, it is the servant. Working together in harmony, we will become an invincible team.

how many here have done a MSF or any training beyond ?

I do not fear death. I will, however, do all possible to avoid death prematurely. Fear is the enemy, not death. Fear on the highway leads to death, therefore I will not let fear be my master. I will master it.

fingerless gloves, chaps and 1/2 helmets all the way!!!

My machines will outlive me. Therefore, they are my legacy. I will care for them for future bikers to cherish as I have cherished them, whoever they may be.

I will trade my machine for a new one every other year or 2000mi to get best return on investment

I do not ride to gain attention, respect, or fear from those that do NOT ride, nor do I wish to intimidate or annoy them. For those that do not know me, all I wish from them is to ignore me. For those that desire to know me, I will share with them the truth of myself, so that they might understand me and not fear others like me.

bullshit. most here dress for attention. look at my h-d leather collection from g-string to headband and $500 jacket

I will never be the aggressor on the highway. However, should others mess with me, their aggression will be dealt with in as severe manner as I can cast upon them.

yes, I have short cut on my I-phone directly to 911

I will show respect to other bikers more experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will learn from them all I can. However, if my respect is not acknowledged or appreciated, it will end.

I will **** and moan about not being accepted on this and many other forums

I will not show disrespect to other bikers less experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will teach them what I can. However, if they show me disrespect, they will be slapped.

what a crock of ****. who really thinks or said that?

It will be my task to mentor new riders, that so desire, into the lifestyle of the biker, so that the breed shall continue. I shall instruct them, as I have been instructed by those before me. I shall preserve and honor traditions of bikers before me, and I will pass them on unaltered.

why do I need a task? those who want to learn will ask and be welcomed, but the rest can test Darwin's theory.

and I agree with just a few exceptions to the statement below

I will not judge other bikers on their choice of machine, their appearance, or their profession. I will judge them only on their conduct as bikers. I am proud of my accomplishments as a biker (MAN), though I will not flaunt them to others. If they ask, I will share them.

I will stand ready to help any other biker(HUMAN) that truly needs my help.

I will never ask another biker(HUMAN) to do for me what I can do for myself.

I am not a part-time biker. I am a biker when, and where ever I go. I am proud to be a biker, and hide my chosen lifestyle from no one. I ride because I love freedom, independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me. But most of all, I ride to better understand myself, my machine, the lands in which I ride, and to seek out and know other bikers like myself.

-Anonymous-

but I might be over thinking it too ...

Old 04-04-2013, 02:40 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by alkay191
thanks man. I built that bike just few years ago to replicate the old Shovel Superglide I rode back in mid 80s... my "glory days".
this thing run like a swiss watch for me all over SoCal. the pic is from the top of Malibu canyon somewhere.
envious, Brah
shitte....shoulda, woulda, coulda, two pans n four shuvs

Old 04-04-2013, 02:45 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Angelfire36

THE BIKER'S CREED

I will not judge other bikers on their choice of machine, their appearance, or their profession. I will judge them only on their conduct as bikers. I am proud of my accomplishments as a biker, though I will not flaunt them to others. If they ask, I will share them.

I will stand ready to help any other biker that truly needs my help.

I will never ask another biker to do for me what I can do for myself.

-Anonymous-

That has the ring of an indoctrination speech or a twelve step program
My name is Herb and I am a putz/poser old *** wannabe

Quick Reply: Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??