The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:03 PM
danny4456
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frenchman
Well, here's my little rant.
there used to be few of us. When we crossed each other on the road, we raised a fist in the wind, just because it was nice to see another biker from time to time. Now, you'd get a nasty cramp in your biceps if you'd give the "Harley-wave" (yup, that's what they call it nowadays) to everybody.
We used to gather in places like Sturgis, Daytona and Laconia. Then, in the 90ies, something changed. The lawyers and clean cut cubicle monkeys started showing up, and there were more and more every year. They transformed the bike weeks into family events, showing up with their trailers, their RVs and their little spoiled brats. The old hardcore people couldn't even find each other anymore, because the whole thing became huge, and with those clowns came the greedy vendors and all those people who just wanted what's in your wallet.
Society used to leave us alone. We kept for ourselves on our side of the fence, and the lawyers, teachers and insurance agents stood on theirs. We stood up for ourselves and for another. We were'nt pretty. Beards, long hair, and what the fancy guys on here call now "pirate outfit". Then, it became a fashion statement to ride a Harley, and all those nice citizens started riding, just to show their community that they could afford a harley with more bling then the next guy. Didn't make them bikers, tho. It takes more then moving a bike from A to B to be one. It takes *****. Want an example? Take Gypsylady. Lost an arm in a motorcycle accident, got back on her feet, and first thing she does is to get a bike that fits her needs, and get back on the road. That girl has more grit then a million of these stock brokers in their overpriced high viz gear, their full face helmets and their HD brand mesh jackets.
The rest of society used to look down on us. In their book, we were scum, and we used to pitty them for their way of life. Now, those buffoons wat the best of both worlds. They want their nice 9-5 jobs, their fancy houses with white picket fences and 2 car garage, they want their middle class cage and their middle class hobbies AND they want to be like us. They dress up on the week end as if it was fuggin halloween, and would love to blend in with the real guys (yep, still a few of us out there). What they don't get is that as long as you have the cops on speed dial #1. your layer on #2, and your office number on #3, you won't get acceptance from the old hardcore crowd.
And patches. They love patches. HOG, SOA, black label society, silent skulls. If not that, it has to at least be a ***** G. skull on their brand store jacket. HD everywhere. 5 times on their jacket, twice on the kevlar reinforced pants, the boots, the belt, the zippo (if they really dare smoking, duh), a HD ring, sunglasses, helmet (yuck), and so on. Gotta show what you got.
2 weeks ago, I met one of the old school guys. He was on a RK custom, having a coffee next door to where I work. He even stopped riding for a while, when those legions of biker playing suburb warriors took over. Sometimes, I exactly know how that feels like.
BTW, I just described 98% of the people on here. Guys like that cameraboy clown, or that Dan Conner jackwagon, are a dime a dozen here. Others, like twizted biker, Hamburglar, Gumpmeister, Gonzeh, Alkay and few others, not so much.
All due respect Frenchman, You really are not old enough to have been riding in the old days. Just saying.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:36 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I am a dude who rides motorcycles. I ride them far and wide, and I ride them many miles at a time. Nevertheless, I am not a biker. There are few bikers and lots of everyone else. I know a biker when I meet them. There are no checklists or qualifications for what a biker is. They just are what they are. If you really don't know the difference, then you haven't lived a wide-ranging enough life.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:41 PM
1911RK
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent777
Well then you need to get a f***ing life and quit worrying about what "someone" else does.
^This.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:03 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by scoteh
I am a dude who rides motorcycles. I ride them far and wide, and I ride them many miles at a time. Nevertheless, I am not a biker. There are few bikers and lots of everyone else. I know a biker when I meet them. There are no checklists or qualifications for what a biker is. They just are what they are. If you really don't know the difference, then you haven't lived a wide-ranging enough life.
^^^ What he said^^^

Old 04-02-2013, 06:24 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
^^^ What he said^^^
Same here.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Well spoken , can't get any simpler than that .

Old 04-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Yaaap! There it is.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Real recognizes real.. (presses 'SUBMIT REPLY' and walks away like a BOSS)

Well written... I thought it depends on the oil you run.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:23 PM
cb7263
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And to think I paid CASH MONEY for my Harley helmets.
Guess I'm a dumbass too.....
What was I thinkin?

Last edited by cb7263; 04-02-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I started riding in 1956. The only new thing that has come along is the pea brained jerks that think they are the only ones that do it right. Everyone started riding with their first bike.

Those ignorant of history don't know that each era had it's style. The boots up to the knees and gas station attendant type cap. Even riding breeches was the in thing at one time. It is not pre 90's and post 90's. It is each generation.

The only posers that I have ever met are the ones that are like the OP who diss on everyone that is different than they are so that they can feel superior and bad *** and cover their short comings.

I don't care what brand, what apparel, work on your own bike, pay a dealer to work on your bike, how many miles a season, have seven years of payments or paid cash, if you like to ride you ARE a biker.

That is the only thing that separates us from the rest of the world.

Last edited by lh4x4; 04-02-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??