The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Gimp
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LL247
This thread is friggin' priceless. I'm actually upset to leave work because I want to read the hundred+ pages I skipped!

My 2 cents, being a biker is a mix of everything from attitude to lifestyle to history to passion about bikes and riding. There really is no true definition in my opinion, bikers are bikers and we can spot our own. I know guys who have been riding for 5 years I consider more of a 'biker' than some who have 20 years on two wheels.

At the end of the day we just all need to be who we are, it's the people trying to be what they're not we all have to worry about...
Nicely put.

I never really cared if anyone thinks I'm a biker or not, but then, I never really cared much what anyone thinks, anyway

Old 04-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

it's the people trying to be what they're not we all have to worry about...
Can't say as I'm exactly worried about them...but they do make me wanna puke.

Met a guy at my gym who rides a Duke...and my first thot's?
"here it comes, all ego, snobby class crap..."
But instead I got this story of how he badly wrecked a while back and quit riding...but just couldn't stand it...HAD to get another bike, but more suited to his size and skill levels...did rehab to get the bod up and got the Duke.
Now I think of him as a "biker".
Even tho a sport rider, the dudes got heart and humility. Gotta respect that.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:12 PM
ceekay
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest, the more logo you sport, the bigger a poser you are. It's not about the brand at all, it's about the RIDE.

Those who trailer their bikes to Sturgis/Daytona/Laconia, then don their Harley-brand leathers stacked full of Harley logos and toss on their Harley-brand helmets, then hop on their 3 year-old Electras/Softails/etc that's decked out in "Live to Ride/Ride to Live" regalia with a whopping 15 miles on the clock..." True posers, every last one of them.

I do know of one old guy (in his late 60s) who trailers his bike occasionally, but that's mainly because he just can't handle 20-some hours on a scoot going cross-country anymore. He sure did, and for a time in the early 70s, it was his only mode of transportation, which coincidentally took him from Florida to CA and back quite a few times! Definitely no poser, but doesn't have a stitch of logo anywhere near him.

All of my uncles ride very regularly. Don't give a **** about the brand-name. They don't wear Harley-brand helmets (used to never wear them, back when bikers were dangerous and sex was safe!!!), and their leathers are made by "I dunno" brand. Their patches are pretty much all related to the Military, except for a few Sturgis pins (back before Sturgis was the "in" place for douchebags, I think one has a '79 pin)...

Speaking of Sturgis, I've been contemplating starting a REAL biker rally, out in the middle of Nowhere, where "Live to Ride/Ride to Live" is verboden unless your bike has at least 50,000 miles. If you've never punched/stabbed/shot/bludgeoned someone, you're not welcome. Beer/liquor/etc is BYOB, but there will be unlimited keg beer for $5.00/cup. NO SHOWER/LATRINE FACILITIES, BRING YOU A SHOVEL AND A ROLL, and maybe some sani-wipes if need be. Grills/fire pits allowed, but DO NOT start a grass fire: dig up a fire line around the pit. Base prices for vendors (if any at all) set by event staff; no more of this $10 per bottle of water bullshit!! I know full well that bottle of water cost you less than 30 cents to purchase from the grocery store down the street, and now you're turning it for 10 bucks!? **** you!!!

Also, the area will be patrolled by armed guards. Anyone caught calling the office to negotiate some hostile takeover or contracts or talking about their cubicle's cat pictures will be shot on sight!!! Also, anyone wearing more than four HD logos.

**** yeah.....

Anyways, I may not have been alive during the real biker era, but I do recognize a poser..... Lots of training from my old-school uncles.

- CK

P.s. I suppose I did it backwards.... I changed my lifestyle (grungy civilian who hardtailed a Honda just for the hell of it, then joined Army and has to shave every day), then bought a Harley.... X)

Last edited by ceekay; 04-17-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i kinda chuckle at guys who go out of their way to avoid owning anything with the HD brand on it. what in the hell is so bad about buying something that says harley davidson on it? probably the same guys who never wave back and walk around like billy bad *** all the time. hey, what ever blows your bugle i guess. i know plenty of guys with 30 years on a harley who wear nothing but HD t shirts and have their mancave and garage decked out with the stuff too. not exactly my thing but i definitely would not say they are posers.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:25 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,114 Likes on 2,797 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_mama
i kinda chuckle at guys who go out of their way to avoid owning anything with the HD brand on it. what in the hell is so bad about buying something that says harley davidson on it? probably the same guys who never wave back and walk around like billy bad *** all the time. hey, what ever blows your bugle i guess. i know plenty of guys with 30 years on a harley who wear nothing but HD t shirts and have their mancave and garage decked out with the stuff too. not exactly my thing but i definitely would not say they are posers.
Yeah, it's like some guys try so hard not to pose, that they're reverse posing.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:39 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
Yeah, it's like some guys try so hard not to pose, that they're reverse posing.
maybe they should start a reverse posing thread? that;s a good one, reverse posing.

RULES: no HD logo's, must have at least two felonies and one attempted murder charge, must be able to ride 1000 miles a day on a hard tail in the rain, must trim nose hairs with a lit cigar. man, that thread could have possibilities.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:53 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

I don't go outs the way unless it's sunday at the poser bar then you have too just as a matter of principle , sometimes it smells like a sale at the mall leather store in there .

Old 04-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

maybe they should start a reverse posing thread? that;s a good one, reverse posing.

RULES: no HD logo's, must have at least two felonies and one attempted murder charge, must be able to ride 1000 miles a day on a hard tail in the rain, must trim nose hairs with a lit cigar. man, that thread could have possibilities.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:02 AM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I don't go outs the way unless it's sunday at the poser bar then you have too just as a matter of principle , sometimes it smells like a sale at the mall leather store in there .
that's when i break out my 70's leisure suit

Old 04-18-2012, 12:12 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,114 Likes on 2,797 Posts

That's when I break out the flamed Harley do rag. Nothing says manly like flames where hair should be. [respectable women of all ages] love that.

Quick Reply: Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??