The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:02 AM
kudige
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BearNVa
WoW.... I just bought my first Harley like 2 months ago. Why? Because once I rode one there was no other feeling like it. I'm not a banker, ins salesman, cop, or anything else but a person who finally got talked into riding a Harley. I want "Harley" boots because they are made for riding and I assume can hold up to the stresses of riding NOT because they have a Harley logo (find me another pair that is cheap and can hold up). I wear a t-shirt most of the time and jeans and a Harley helmet because that is what was GIVEN to me by the dealer when I bought the bike (didn't see no reason to buy a helmet when I could get one for free). So does that make me a "poser"? Does that make me a "biker"? Does that make me a "rider" **** NO!!! It makes me ME!!! Why do some of the people on here seem so damn shallow that they have to divide people into groups like little school kids because of the things they wear or the bike they ride... Holy **** I thought high school was over years ago!!! Grow the hell up!
+100 ... Enough said!

Old 04-15-2012, 10:44 AM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol...

Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Bellefourchian
Tourer

Great thread!

Old 04-15-2012, 01:20 PM
ACRblaze
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just started reading this thread today and it cracked me up. It's so typical of internet arguments on basically any subject.

I bought a Harley for one reason...the sound. I know the BMW's and super bikes are fast but they don't have the sound. For years I have been collecting and building guns (legally) and it's just like the argument between plastic guns and 1911's of which I have several of each. I will admit I chuckle when I see someone at a 3 gun shoot for the first time all decked out in crazy chest rigs looking like they are about to be shipped off tot he desert but I don't think of them as gun posers.

I don't really give two pinches of **** if someone thinks I am poser becuase I bought a HD jacket or I ride a 2012 bike. I had tattoo's before I ever thought of buying a HD.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:42 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by alkay191
smooches

Old 04-15-2012, 01:55 PM
frankenwick
Tourer

It is a sub-culture and there's nothing that can be done about it. It takes all kinds. Trust me, I know... The three largest uncountable pop-sub-cultures are "Bikers", Star Trek "Trekkies", and Grateful Dead "Deadheads"... for instance, my rant about my Deadhead experience via frenchman's rant:

Well, here's my little rant.
there used to be few of us. When we crossed each other on the road, we raised a peace-sign in the wind, just because it was nice to see another head from time to time. Now, you'd get a nasty cramp in your biceps holding up your fingers looking for a ticket) to everybody.
We used to gather in places like Winterland, The Fillmore, Red Rocks. Then, in the 90ies, something changed. The lawyers and clean cut cubicle monkeys started showing up, and there were more and more every year. They transformed the bike weeks into family events, showing up with their trailers, their Volkswagon Busses and their little spoiled brats. The old hardcore people couldn't even find each other anymore, because the whole thing became huge, and with those clowns came the greedy vendors and all those people who just wanted what's in your wallet.
Society used to leave us alone. We kept for ourselves on our side of the fence, and the lawyers, teachers and insurance agents stood on theirs. We stood up for ourselves and for another. We were'nt pretty. Beards, long hair, and what the fancy guys on here call now "hippie outfit". Then, it became a fashion statement to see The Dead, and all those nice citizens started riding, just to show their community that they could afford a ticket with better seats then the next guy. Didn't make them Deadheads, tho. It takes more then moving a bike from A to B to be one. It takes *****. Want an example? Take Gypsylady. Lost an arm in a motorcycle accident, got back on her feet, and first thing she does is to get a bike that fits her needs, and get back on the road. That girl has more grit then a million of these stock brokers in their overpriced high viz gear, their full face helmets and their HD brand mesh jackets.
The rest of society used to look down on us. In their book, we were scum, and we used to pitty them for their way of life. Now, those buffoons wat the best of both worlds. They want their nice 9-5 jobs, their fancy houses with white picket fences and 2 car garage, they want their middle class cage and their middle class hobbies AND they want to be like us. They dress up on the week end as if it was fuggin halloween, and would love to blend in with the real guys (yep, still a few of us out there). What they don't get is that as long as you have the cops on speed dial #1. your layer on #2, and your office number on #3, you won't get acceptance from the old hardcore crowd.
And stickers. They love stickers. Dancing Bears and Skeletons, skulls and roses. If not that, it has to at least be a Steal Your Face skull on their brand store jacket. GD everywhere. 5 times on their jacket, twice on thetie-dyes , the belt, the zippo (if they really dare smoking, duh)
, rose-colored sunglasses, doo-rag, and so on. Gotta show what you got.
2 weeks ago, I met one of the old school guys. He had a ticket stub from Shoreline Sometimes, I exactly know how that feels like.
BTW, I just described 98% of the people on here. Guys like that frankenwick, cosmic okie, and few others, not so much.

Don't get me started on the Trek Thing... never was my bag, but had friends that would say the same thing about the Final Frontier.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:58 PM
frankenwick
Tourer

Originally Posted by frenchman
Well, here's my little rant.
there used to be few of us. When we crossed each other on the road, we raised a fist in the wind, just because it was nice to see another biker from time to time. Now, you'd get a nasty cramp in your biceps if you'd give the "Harley-wave" (yup, that's what they call it nowadays) to everybody.
We used to gather in places like Sturgis, Daytona and Laconia. Then, in the 90ies, something changed. The lawyers and clean cut cubicle monkeys started showing up, and there were more and more every year. They transformed the bike weeks into family events, showing up with their trailers, their RVs and their little spoiled brats. The old hardcore people couldn't even find each other anymore, because the whole thing became huge, and with those clowns came the greedy vendors and all those people who just wanted what's in your wallet.
Society used to leave us alone. We kept for ourselves on our side of the fence, and the lawyers, teachers and insurance agents stood on theirs. We stood up for ourselves and for another. We were'nt pretty. Beards, long hair, and what the fancy guys on here call now "pirate outfit". Then, it became a fashion statement to ride a Harley, and all those nice citizens started riding, just to show their community that they could afford a harley with more bling then the next guy. Didn't make them bikers, tho. It takes more then moving a bike from A to B to be one. It takes *****. Want an example? Take Gypsylady. Lost an arm in a motorcycle accident, got back on her feet, and first thing she does is to get a bike that fits her needs, and get back on the road. That girl has more grit then a million of these stock brokers in their overpriced high viz gear, their full face helmets and their HD brand mesh jackets.
The rest of society used to look down on us. In their book, we were scum, and we used to pitty them for their way of life. Now, those buffoons wat the best of both worlds. They want their nice 9-5 jobs, their fancy houses with white picket fences and 2 car garage, they want their middle class cage and their middle class hobbies AND they want to be like us. They dress up on the week end as if it was fuggin halloween, and would love to blend in with the real guys (yep, still a few of us out there). What they don't get is that as long as you have the cops on speed dial #1. your layer on #2, and your office number on #3, you won't get acceptance from the old hardcore crowd.
And patches. They love patches. HOG, SOA, black label society, silent skulls. If not that, it has to at least be a ***** G. skull on their brand store jacket. HD everywhere. 5 times on their jacket, twice on the kevlar reinforced pants, the boots, the belt, the zippo (if they really dare smoking, duh), a HD ring, sunglasses, helmet (yuck), and so on. Gotta show what you got.
2 weeks ago, I met one of the old school guys. He was on a RK custom, having a coffee next door to where I work. He even stopped riding for a while, when those legions of biker playing suburb warriors took over. Sometimes, I exactly know how that feels like.
BTW, I just described 98% of the people on here. Guys like that cameraboy clown, or that Dan Conner jackwagon, are a dime a dozen here. Others, like twizted biker, Hamburglar, Gumpmeister, Gonzeh, Alkay and few others, not so much.
^^^^^^^^^^see above revision^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 04-15-2012, 02:04 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by frankenwick
^^^^^^^^^^see above revision^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hi-light the words by color change or nobody is gonna read that , warn you now and use a gap between paragraphs

Old 04-17-2012, 06:17 PM
LL247
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread is friggin' priceless. I'm actually upset to leave work because I want to read the hundred+ pages I skipped!

My 2 cents, being a biker is a mix of everything from attitude to lifestyle to history to passion about bikes and riding. There really is no true definition in my opinion, bikers are bikers and we can spot our own. I know guys who have been riding for 5 years I consider more of a 'biker' than some who have 20 years on two wheels.

At the end of the day we just all need to be who we are, it's the people trying to be what they're not we all have to worry about...

Old 04-17-2012, 06:32 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by LL247
This thread is friggin' priceless. I'm actually upset to leave work because I want to read the hundred+ pages I skipped!

My 2 cents, being a biker is a mix of everything from attitude to lifestyle to history to passion about bikes and riding. There really is no true definition in my opinion, bikers are bikers and we can spot our own. I know guys who have been riding for 5 years I consider more of a 'biker' than some who have 20 years on two wheels.

At the end of the day we just all need to be who we are, it's the people trying to be what they're not we all have to worry about...
well put

Quick Reply: Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??