The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 03:17 PM
jwhardin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
It sure did look how is simplified your wardrobe .
sure could have.

I never got into the whole advertise the moco for free thing. maybe cuz it wasn't a mid-life crisis thing.

I have a few event shirts, not big into that either.

dunno.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:24 PM
carrdoc
Advanced

Back about 10 years ago I bought a sporty from a bud to get back and forth to work.went over to his house to give him the cash.he was in yard clothes,just chilling.he asked to have one last ride,so I said ride to my house.about a half hour later he rolls up totally decked out in pirate costume.I almost died laughing.I asked wtf? He said you'll see.boy did I.I still think the HD clothes are corky,but I do own a costume too

Old 03-02-2012, 07:05 PM
ckal704
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whew. I could only make it through the first page of this thread! So, what constitutes a biker?
I read about one fella that was raised that way by his parents. Seems like that was none of his doing-he was raised that way. Another seemed to have found the lifestyle to his liking in his later formative years and embraced it for decades. He calls himself a "biker" but doesn't meet the criteria of the fella whose parents were bikers. Yet he is "superior" to those of us who, for whatever reason, were not able to afford the bike we always wanted until later in our lives.
Is it because we put family and stability before the purchase of a relatively expensive means of motor transportation? Is that the precluding set of circumstances that prohibits us from being "bikers"?
Well, I waited 30 years due to finances, marriage, the responsibility of being a father to my children, etc. until I finally was able to purchase the bike I had dreamed of for all those years.
I guess because I chose to be responsible for and to the things and people I held dear that I have precluded myself from being a member of the "club".
So be it.
I'll still wave to anyone else on a bike, just like I did 30 years ago on my little Kawi 440.
And I'll still stop to assist any 2 wheeler that appears to be having difficulty roadside.
No matter whence they came or what their philosophy.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:45 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

huh,
I don't remember having to chose between riding and being a responsible parent

Old 03-02-2012, 07:53 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by alkay191
huh,
ya mean there was an option???

Old 03-02-2012, 08:08 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by alkay191
huh,

Old 03-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I read it in the entrails

Originally Posted by ckal704
Whew. I could only make it through the first page of this thread! So, what constitutes a biker?
I read about one fella that was raised that way by his parents. Seems like that was none of his doing-he was raised that way. Another seemed to have found the lifestyle to his liking in his later formative years and embraced it for decades. He calls himself a "biker" but doesn't meet the criteria of the fella whose parents were bikers. Yet he is "superior" to those of us who, for whatever reason, were not able to afford the bike we always wanted until later in our lives.
Is it because we put family and stability before the purchase of a relatively expensive means of motor transportation? Is that the precluding set of circumstances that prohibits us from being "bikers"?
Well, I waited 30 years due to finances, marriage, the responsibility of being a father to my children, etc. until I finally was able to purchase the bike I had dreamed of for all those years.
I guess because I chose to be responsible for and to the things and people I held dear that I have precluded myself from being a member of the "club".
So be it.
I'll still wave to anyone else on a bike, just like I did 30 years ago on my little Kawi 440.
And I'll still stop to assist any 2 wheeler that appears to be having difficulty roadside.
No matter whence they came or what their philosophy.
Nawww - you're reading into this too much. Some folks were poor and had to build their bike, wait a year for a part and still buy it hot, and lived in an area that was rough coming up. To those folks, you're not going to fit into that group if you're not that and you can never be if you weren't.

They identify as bikers but it's not just about bikes. Brotherhood in all things - good and bad - was their very core, and it's what they know and what they are. In that way they are superior in those things as they put in everything; 110% of who they are, and some are second generation in it - got a tattoo for their 8th birthday etc - born to the life.

Some folks just did it up different. They're no less of a person or a biker, but they're not what I just described.

Some, like me, have a different story that has a bit of both. Doesn't make me less - makes me different to most. I still prefer a RUB to a cager and hard core posers make me chuckle a bit. I'm not going to walk around thinking I'm better than Joe the poser but if I'm hitting up a strip bar I'm not going to bring him with me either. He doesn't fit in to say the least - but I don't hate him for it.

People who did the life for real get my respect, just like people who raised a family get it too - stand up men and women in who they are and what they do.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Chief Razorback
Tourer

This has to be one of the most moronic threads I've seen on here. In fact I now regret the few minutes of my life that I just wasted reading it.
My dad can beat up your dad.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

I changed Harley's lifestyle...

Old 03-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

2 points. Score.

Quick Reply: Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??