The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:39 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchman
My mom lves too far away, and I'm separated from my wife. Who could explain it to me?
I got a sneaky suspicion that you live in a man's world.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:44 PM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlackPharoah
The mission is sacred, thou the executed until the end and , if you need to, at the risk of your life
Close...

It's Article 6 of the French Foreign Legion - Legionnaire's Code of Honor, which when translated goes:

The mission is sacred, you carry it out until the end and, if necessary in the field, at the risk of your life.

The original in French.

Art. 1 – Légionnaire, tu es un volontaire, servant la France avec honneur et fidélité.
Art. 2 – Chaque Légionnaire est ton frère d'armes, quelle que soit sa nationalité, sa race ou sa religion. Tu lui manifestes toujours la solidarité étroite qui doit unir les membres d'une même famille.
Art. 3 – Respectueux des traditions, attaché à tes chefs, la discipline et la camaraderie sont ta force, le courage et la loyauté tes vertus.
Art. 4 – Fier de ton état de Légionnaire, tu le montres dans ta tenue toujours élégante, ton comportement toujours digne mais modeste, ton casernement toujours net.
Art. 5 – Soldat d'élite, tu t'entraînes avec rigueur, tu entretiens ton arme comme ton bien le plus précieux, tu as le souci constant de ta forme physique.
Art. 6 – La mission est sacrée, tu l'exécutes jusqu'au bout et si besoin, en opérations, au péril de ta vie.
Art. 7 – Au combat, tu agis sans passion et sans haine, tu respectes les ennemis vaincus, tu n'abandonnes jamais ni tes morts, ni tes blessés, ni tes armes.

Full English Translation

Art. 1 – Légionnaire, you are a volunteer serving France with honour and fidelity.
Art. 2 – Each legionnaire is your brother in arms whatever his nationality, his race or his religion might be. You show him the same close solidarity that links the members of the same family.
Art. 3 – Respectful of traditions, devoted to your leaders, discipline and comradeship are your strengths, courage and loyalty your virtues.
Art. 4 – Proud of your status as Legionnaire, you display this in your always impeccable uniform, your always dignified but modest behaviour, and your clean living quarters.
Art. 5 – An elite soldier, you train rigorously, you maintain your weapon as your most precious possession, and you take constant care of your physical form.
Art. 6 – The mission is sacred, you carry it out until the end and, if necessary in the field, at the risk of your life.
Art. 7 – In combat, you act without passion and without hate, you respect defeated enemies, and you never abandon your dead, your wounded, or your arms.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:53 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Originally Posted by FXD_TG
Close...
art.7 In combat,you act without passion and without hate, you respect defeated enemies, and you never abandon your dead, your wounded, or your arms.
Thats why marines will always bail out the french.............no passion or hatred,in their fighting, honor is one thing, winning is another, imo.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket23
Thats why marines will always bail out the french.............no passion or hatred,in their fighting, honor is one thing, winning is another, imo.

Only thing French about the Legion is it's in France , it's an international collection of misfits that make it up in bulk . Only way they can get a effective fighting force . Legion is no joke .

Old 01-02-2012, 07:05 PM
JayDRod
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is about the freedom of riding... they want a piece of that no matter they are trapped in a cubical during the day. I had a discussion on this very subject with a lady friend of mine... you know how getting a bike makes on "bad to the bone" all of a sudden. She said something that rung true to me. Here it is... (ad lib as best I can) she said:

"It seems to me that a motorcyclist is choosing the trade their person saftey in exchange for for a bigger slice of freedom. They are choosing adventure and danger over complacency and saftey. In my book they are 'bad asses' for having the gaul/***** to do it. [The roads are a very dangerous place.]"

I couldn't hardly argue. But it seems to me that HD and the movie industry in general has done a good job of projecting the "bad ***" thing and a lot of folks have bought into it. The bikers I have known... it seems to me the tougher they appear the more "warm hearted and kind" they really are. Especially around "family."

If having courage makes one a "bad ***" then they are... but there are even cubical monkeys that posses this same courage so you really can't categorize folks by appearances alone truly the only way to know is "the test of fire." That is what I tell my son anyway... when you are on the battlefield you don't know which of your fellow soldiers possess the courage and fortitude to back you up and which will go running for the hills until they are truly tested. This same test applies to friendships and I don't know about you or others here but I have had a few "friends" tested by fire over time and discovered the were not friends at all... posers. I think every one has one or two sad stories to tell. Cheers!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:10 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Only thing French about the Legion is it's in France , it's an international collection of misfits that make it up in bulk . Only way they can get a effective fighting force . Legion is no joke .
Hell I'm half french, I'm not laughing......crying, mebbe, but not laughing
Originally Posted by JayDRod
It is about the freedom of riding... they want a piece of that no matter they are trapped in a cubical during the day. I had a discussion on this very subject with a lady friend of mine... you know how getting a bike makes on "bad to the bone" all of a sudden. She said something that rung true to me. Here it is... (ad lib as best I can) she said:

"It seems to me that a motorcyclist is choosing the trade their person saftey in exchange for for a bigger slice of freedom. They are choosing adventure and danger over complacency and saftey. In my book they are 'bad asses' for having the gaul/***** to do it. [The roads are a very dangerous place.]"

I couldn't hardly argue. But it seems to me that HD and the movie industry in general has done a good job of projecting the "bad ***" thing and a lot of folks have bought into it. The bikers I have known... it seems to me the tougher they appear the more "warm hearted and kind" they really are. Especially around "family."

If having courage makes one a "bad ***" then they are... but there are even cubical monkeys that posses this same courage so you really can't categorize folks by appearances alone truly the only way to know is "the test of fire." That is what I tell my son anyway... when you are on the battlefield you don't know which of your fellow soldiers possess the courage and fortitude to back you up and which will go running for the hills until they are truly tested. This same test applies to friendships and I don't know about you or others here but I have had a few "friends" tested by fire over time and discovered the were not friends at all... posers. I think every one has one or two sad stories to tell. Cheers!
And now , for something completely different!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

I wrote without all the French girliness...

La mort avant qu'il déshonore
Death before dishonor

Originally Posted by FXD_TG
Close...

It's Article 6 of the French Foreign Legion - Legionnaire's Code of Honor, which when translated goes:

The mission is sacred, you carry it out until the end and, if necessary in the field, at the risk of your life.

The original in French.

Art. 1 – Légionnaire, tu es un volontaire, servant la France avec honneur et fidélité.
Art. 2 – Chaque Légionnaire est ton frère d'armes, quelle que soit sa nationalité, sa race ou sa religion. Tu lui manifestes toujours la solidarité étroite qui doit unir les membres d'une même famille.
Art. 3 – Respectueux des traditions, attaché à tes chefs, la discipline et la camaraderie sont ta force, le courage et la loyauté tes vertus.
Art. 4 – Fier de ton état de Légionnaire, tu le montres dans ta tenue toujours élégante, ton comportement toujours digne mais modeste, ton casernement toujours net.
Art. 5 – Soldat d'élite, tu t'entraînes avec rigueur, tu entretiens ton arme comme ton bien le plus précieux, tu as le souci constant de ta forme physique.
Art. 6 – La mission est sacrée, tu l'exécutes jusqu'au bout et si besoin, en opérations, au péril de ta vie.
Art. 7 – Au combat, tu agis sans passion et sans haine, tu respectes les ennemis vaincus, tu n'abandonnes jamais ni tes morts, ni tes blessés, ni tes armes.

Full English Translation

Art. 1 – Légionnaire, you are a volunteer serving France with honour and fidelity.
Art. 2 – Each legionnaire is your brother in arms whatever his nationality, his race or his religion might be. You show him the same close solidarity that links the members of the same family.
Art. 3 – Respectful of traditions, devoted to your leaders, discipline and comradeship are your strengths, courage and loyalty your virtues.
Art. 4 – Proud of your status as Legionnaire, you display this in your always impeccable uniform, your always dignified but modest behaviour, and your clean living quarters.
Art. 5 – An elite soldier, you train rigorously, you maintain your weapon as your most precious possession, and you take constant care of your physical form.
Art. 6 – The mission is sacred, you carry it out until the end and, if necessary in the field, at the risk of your life.
Art. 7 – In combat, you act without passion and without hate, you respect defeated enemies, and you never abandon your dead, your wounded, or your arms.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:16 PM
JayDRod
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like this... I wish we had someting like it in the US military forces... a kind of oath to live by. I would add an additional one...

"When you become a civilian someday live life for your fallen comrads to honor them. A full and long life of courage, honor, and goodness." [something like that]

Seems to me that is missing... a soldier who survives has lost folks around them that are tighter than a brother and then go to lead a "little life" and it seems to me that one should take those comrads with them and let their sacrifices push one to living large. [just thinking out loud here... ha]

Old 01-02-2012, 07:22 PM
dothedoo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some day I'm gonna ride coast to coast and back.

Or maybe to Alaska and back and back.

Originally Posted by baust55
I'M not a BIKER or a Posser .. i just am Me .

I been riding Harleys for over 30 years close to 200,000 miles .

I have rode coast to coast and back a few times.

I have been called a biker and a posser buy those who don't really know me .

Old 01-02-2012, 07:32 PM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JayDRod
I like this... I wish we had someting like it in the US military forces... a kind of oath to live by.
Yo mean like the Code of Conduct for Members of the Armed Forces of the United States, established back in 1955?
Article I: I am an American, fighting in the armed forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

Article II: I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.

Article III: If I am captured, I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

Article IV: If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information nor take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.

Article V: When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service, number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.

Article VI: I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

Quick Reply: Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??