The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I didn't see real performance on the dirt until I got my YZ250 and later a Suzuki 250 I used for jumping. Didn't miss the English iron then, sort of like I don't miss my old Trumpets since I started riding Harleys - started with a sportster, but had to fatbob it front to back to make it look like a big incher. I guess that was a pose, but everybody really liked it.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:16 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I didn't see real performance on the dirt until I got my YZ250 and later a Suzuki 250 I used for jumping. Didn't miss the English iron then, sort of like I don't miss my old Trumpets since I started riding Harleys - started with a sportster, but had to fatbob it front to back to make it look like a big incher. I guess that was a pose, but everybody really liked it.
Check the thread https://www.hdforums.com/forum/off-t...-harley-4.html posted a couple shots of my old BSA's way back when . Wish I had any of them back loved those things .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 12-30-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:17 PM
RockerSE
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket23
There's got to be more to this story..............
As the music from The Blue Oyster Bar strikes up in the background.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:28 AM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Put the smallest front sprocket on I could and it would climb an almost vertical hill just thumping a rooster tail with bucket sized chunks flying , the ricer big inch bike where just hitting it big then had me so outclassed wasn't funny . It was big , heavy , not a fast revving bike and beat senseless with stoneage suspension . No starting bitch too .
Sounds alot like a Bultaco I had. Ancient suspension, no brakes, only started about half the time, but when it did I was either in for a scary *** ride or a trip to the ER. Or both. It was a blast

Old 12-31-2011, 08:33 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by spankdog
Sounds alot like a Bultaco I had. Ancient suspension, no brakes, only started about half the time, but when it did I was either in for a scary *** ride or a trip to the ER. Or both. It was a blast
Had a Wombat 100 somebody tossed out in my driveway one night and left . 3 of us took it out with intention of just trashing that thing . 2 broken fingers , a couple ribs , assorted torn muscles & stuff , everybody was bleeding from numerous places and all we did was knock the seat and foot peg off .

Old 12-31-2011, 08:41 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Had a Wombat 100 somebody tossed out in my driveway one night and left . 3 of us took it out with intention of just trashing that thing . 2 broken fingers , a couple ribs , assorted torn muscles & stuff , everybody was bleeding from numerous places and all we did was knock the seat and foot peg off .
yup. those Hodakas are virtually indestructible. My buddy VMX'd one, passed it on to me in a parts trade and we let my kid thrash it for a couple of years.

I came up in Europe on Jawa and CZ thumpers with occasional DKW wich was even more of an anchor w/ motor. With no real MX tracks or woods nearby we used to ride big strip mines. Lots of WFO on sharp gravel and little protective gear....

Old 12-31-2011, 09:11 AM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alkay191
yup. those Hodakas are virtually indestructible.
No kidding. My first bike was a Hodaka 100 Ace; I dumped that thing every way you could (unintentionally) and it always was in better shape that I was.

Replaced it with a '73 Honda Elsinore CR250M which was really too much bike. Hell, the thing was taller and faster than my friends Yamaha MX360. It was replaced with a '74 CR125M which was a better fit. I think I paid ~$1,000 for the CR125M back in the day... which would be $5,200 today. Pretty much what a current CRF150R costs.

Good times...

Old 12-31-2011, 09:33 AM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man you guys are bringing up some good old memories. My first bike was a orange and black Honda Elsinor 50. I think I was about 6 or 7. I remember just pushing that thing up and down the street when I first got cuz I couldnt wait for the weekend and my dad to take me riding.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:00 AM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Originally Posted by spankdog
Man you guys are bringing up some good old memories. My first bike was a orange and black Honda Elsinor 50. I think I was about 6 or 7. I remember just pushing that thing up and down the street when I first got cuz I couldnt wait for the weekend and my dad to take me riding.
oh they made others.'' Friend'' of mine had a 250. He hit a jump one day an kneecapped the fuel tank. lol.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:06 AM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I haven't read through the 100 + pages, but what is a "poser" to you guys? I just happen to be an insurance agent, I have a job and a wife I love and work that job to support my family. I can't ride my bike everyday, I don't have any tattoos, I don't smoke and I don't walk around in my leathers.

On the other hand, I have a bike that I ride a few times a week. I've done my own work and mods. Is the OP saying I have to be in an MC to be a true biker?

The example of the "posers" at your workplace seems poor...you say they hop on their trikes and arch their back and put on a biker face ( i agree kind of weak to have that attitude) but hey, sounds like they ride their Harley's to work each day. In my opinion, if you own a bike and you ride it, you're a biker.

Why can a lawyer not be a biker? Some of us are educated and have good jobs, but love the feeling of wind on our face and the roar of an engine. We're all on the same side.

If I ride 5 hours a week and you ride 10 hours a week, are you double the biker that I am? Doesn't make much sense...That's like measuring someone's worth based on their income. Is the lawyer more of a man because he makes more money?

Quick Reply: Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??