The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:52 PM
dothedoo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think referring to the early 90's as the good ole biker days would have both the "real" bikers and the posers saying WTF?

Originally Posted by Lunch Meat
VERY well put sir, you have said what I have been thinking for a very long time. I'm just not that well versed to get my thoughts to words like you did. I got my first HD back in the early 90's, loved the rallies I went to, loved the people I met and rode with, and like you said, got a lot of bad looks from the public, and that was fine with me, now every freakin 2 (and 3) wheeler will give you "the wave"... Everyone thinks its the yups and the rubs keeping the moco going, well who kept it going in the 70's and 80's?? The real men that rode and rode hard and rode free. Would love to be back in those days again.

French, if we ever cross paths I will definitely be buying you a round or 2 of drinks.

Ride Hard.... Life is too short!

Old 07-25-2011, 01:41 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Aw man, give the guy cred for coming from where he came from. To them, what they experience is the same as us ol' duffers; we just know it ain't.
Sage bit of wisdom there when you look at that way , I remember all the crap I caught from the old school guys when I was still in that starry eyed stage the first few years .

Kudos for kicking the reality check nicely done .

Old 07-25-2011, 10:47 AM
nilro
Road Captain

I have to throw a little twist into the thread here. I haven't been to a HD dealership in about 2 years. However, my 3 year old (about to be 4) son asked me to buy him a Harley shirt. Would you say no?

So, here I find myself strolling to the dealership to get the boy a shirt (which by the way cost $25 for a little kid shirt, but I will do anything for my kids) and there they all are. A bunch of weekend warriors with water bottles in their hands milling around the dealership.

I won't name the dealership but it's a fairly large one, even by Texas standards. I noticed there were quite a few employees in the place, more than I remember.

By the time I found the kiddie section and started looking, I had all but one employee that I counted ask me if I needed help. This includes the salesmen, who left their little cubicle offices to come help me, the three different parts guys came from behind the counter, and the clothes girls. I just figured they were shooting for good customer service. The only one who didn't ask me appeared to be some kind of manager who I noticed was keeping an eye on everything.

So I decided to do a little experiment. I picked a shirt for my boy and then pretended to browse around the store. It was a busy day there and in the 45 minutes I spent there, I counted 9 people who came in the front door off of a bike. This is not including people walking back in to soak up some a/c, etc.

None of those 9 were asked by more than one person if they needed help. Not a single one. In fact, most were just greeted at the door by the cashier clerk behind the desk.

They all came in and gawked over the shiny new bikes and looked at all of the overpriced crap to buy. Two of the nine had to go ask for someone to answer questions about a bike.

Maybe even the dealerships have a "weekend warrior bullshit detector." I was amused. Or, maybe they thought I was going to try and shoplift...

Old 07-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Malum
Cruiser

LOL this thread is still going?
Kill it!
But there is only one way to be sure....

Old 07-26-2011, 01:50 PM
BRW
Tourer

Been riding some kind of bike for 44 of my 49 yrs,dirt, street,mostly Hondas with a Kaw or Yam thrown in here and there.Dreamed about the day I could afford a H-D. About 7 yrs ago said F' it and bought the H-D ( still couldn't really afford it) I've got some H-D gear that I find on clearance table now & then. Don't buy anything at the dealer I don't have to, have a few tats ( no H-D ) The wife & I ride all over the place some rallies & events some with friends mostly by ourselves & enjoy every minute of it meet lots of great people see lots of cool ****. And think'n back I can't think of 1 time that I give a **** what some frenchman or anyone else thinks we are. As long as they aren't endangering me or mine I don't give a **** what they are doing or are! I'm think'n if the whole Biker/Poser thing gets you that worked up it pretty much tells us what column your in there Frenchy!

Old 07-26-2011, 02:36 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Me n the GF rode up 339 to 60 to Zanesville on the 48s

Nice ride, even remembered some of the ginmills I used to crawl in an out of

My **** hurt BUT I looked good as I posed

Old 07-26-2011, 09:54 PM
chromedome09
Road Master

I keep thinking about how good we have it at this moment in history. We have money to buy HD motorcycles and ride em. Most of us have houses or decent places to live. Computers so we can rag on others in the HD forums . electricity so we can have AC. Lights, TV ect.

To the people that live in every century before us . they would all think we're pussies, even the girls.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lunch Meat
VERY well put sir, you have said what I have been thinking for a very long time. I'm just not that well versed to get my thoughts to words like you did. I got my first HD back in the early 90's, loved the rallies I went to, loved the people I met and rode with, and like you said, got a lot of bad looks from the public, and that was fine with me, now every freakin 2 (and 3) wheeler will give you "the wave"... Everyone thinks its the yups and the rubs keeping the moco going, well who kept it going in the 70's and 80's?? The real men that rode and rode hard and rode free. Would love to be back in those days again.

French, if we ever cross paths I will definitely be buying you a round or 2 of drinks.

Ride Hard.... Life is too short!
I wish I could understand the logic in what you boys that spout such hate and anger mean??? Why on earth should you downgrade and belittle anybody forking a wild machine like a Harley??? Just can't see why you fellas think that you got some right to enjoy the bike and the road more than anyone else. Maybe you got more time in the saddle, and have a few more stories to tell, but what does that mean?? Think it makes you special??? Hell, don't wave if someone out there who is enjoying themself has the gall to raise his arm to you. Rant too if you like. Stomp on that kick starter all day if it makes you feel good. But here's a news flash for you........all those "posers" are riding because it makes them feel happy, or they wouldn't be on two wheels.....even with wet blankets like you wishing you could rain on their parade.

The worlds a big place, too bad you morons need to jack up your blood pressure begrudging other human beings occupying it with the likes of you......Hate on....Oh, and have a nice day.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:29 PM
BRW
Tourer

Originally Posted by Montana Cowboy
I wish I could understand the logic in what you boys that spout such hate and anger mean??? Why on earth should you downgrade and belittle anybody forking a wild machine like a Harley??? Just can't see why you fellas think that you got some right to enjoy the bike and the road more than anyone else. Maybe you got more time in the saddle, and have a few more stories to tell, but what does that mean?? Think it makes you special??? Hell, don't wave if someone out there who is enjoying themself has the gall to raise his arm to you. Rant too if you like. Stomp on that kick starter all day if it makes you feel good. But here's a news flash for you........all those "posers" are riding because it makes them feel happy, or they wouldn't be on two wheels.....even with wet blankets like you wishing you could rain on their parade.

The worlds a big place, too bad you morons need to jack up your blood pressure begrudging other human beings occupying it with the likes of you......Hate on....Oh, and have a nice day.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:53 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Why is it so difficult to understand that no one really hates anyone...
Some of us are simply making fun of the new h-d OWNERS that play dress-up and pretend to be something they are not.
It is quite simple. If you were a Honda rider yesterday, you are not bad *** biker if you bought a harley this morning. Plain and simple. No amount of shiny chrome doo-dads, chaps or lightning bolt bandanas will help.
No one will give you **** if you're a new to h-d or even new to riding if you're up front about it. Just don't expect instant cred for dropping 20K on your new lifestyle. Ride a few thousand miles (in all weather), fix your ride when it breaks instead of flashing your Black AmEx at the service counter and just be a reasonable person. Keep your yep shut when people that know more than you are talking and you might learn something. Be a man and stand your ground when challenged and don't start **** with old Joe Motorist just because he didn't see your flashy Squealing Beagle Road Turd.
Don't forget that people that came before you had it much harder and respect that. They dealt with shitty roads, total loss oil systems, finicky magnetos, ******* cops and even people like you.
It wasn't better 30 years ago. It was just different. People were tougher, more resourcesful and just had something.... not sure how to describe "it", but its missing in today's harley riders....
Learn the history and traditions if you want to be a part of this thing or just be an ignorant ******* that demands respect and be treated accordingly. Your choice,

Quick Reply: Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??