The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:24 PM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Note that I said some HD riders, not all. And our club supports St. Jude exclusively, save for the occasional benefit ride for dead cops families and such. I can't afford to
do most of them, so I ride with a few regular buds more than with the group.
noted ... i failed to make my point clear ... yes , i too wouldnt wipe my snot on some riders ( regardless of bike brand ) but i do make an exception if they are into helping the less fortunate. i was only saying to someone recently that Harleys are the best bike to make people smile

Old 07-20-2011, 11:37 PM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Agent777
So who's the real poser? The ones that can afford a new bike, mind their own business and just want to enjoy themselves, or the one that feels the need to boast to strangers "Ya that,s (sic) a real kick starter and yes I really use it"?
i dont know Twisted much like you , and i had to google kickstarter to see what it means, ( apparently its a really really strong coffee ) but based upon a recent thread i reckon he is alright .

Old 07-21-2011, 03:14 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So who's the real poser? The ones that can afford a new bike, mind their own business and just want to enjoy themselves, or the one that feels the need to boast to strangers "Ya that,s (sic) a real kick starter and yes I really use it"?
So, why wouldn't you just keep minding your own biz, and **** off? Agent 777, the spy who knew too little, I guess.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:53 PM
fast2live
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The real poser is the guy who gets the most pissed off when anyone uses the term poser.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:10 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

does mental pause count, starting in the late 70s

Old 07-23-2011, 10:28 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by fast2live
The real poser is the guy who gets the most pissed off when anyone uses the term poser.
Coming up for air finally ? Good to have you home man , how is it being back ?

Old 07-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Lunch Meat
Tourer

Originally Posted by frenchman
Well, here's my little rant.
there used to be few of us. When we crossed each other on the road, we raised a fist in the wind, just because it was nice to see another biker from time to time. Now, you'd get a nasty cramp in your biceps if you'd give the "Harley-wave" (yup, that's what they call it nowadays) to everybody.
We used to gather in places like Sturgis, Daytona and Laconia. Then, in the 90ies, something changed. The lawyers and clean cut cubicle monkeys started showing up, and there were more and more every year. They transformed the bike weeks into family events, showing up with their trailers, their RVs and their little spoiled brats. The old hardcore people couldn't even find each other anymore, because the whole thing became huge, and with those clowns came the greedy vendors and all those people who just wanted what's in your wallet.
Society used to leave us alone. We kept for ourselves on our side of the fence, and the lawyers, teachers and insurance agents stood on theirs. We stood up for ourselves and for another. We were'nt pretty. Beards, long hair, and what the fancy guys on here call now "pirate outfit". Then, it became a fashion statement to ride a Harley, and all those nice citizens started riding, just to show their community that they could afford a harley with more bling then the next guy. Didn't make them bikers, tho. It takes more then moving a bike from A to B to be one. It takes *****. Want an example? Take Gypsylady. Lost an arm in a motorcycle accident, got back on her feet, and first thing she does is to get a bike that fits her needs, and get back on the road. That girl has more grit then a million of these stock brokers in their overpriced high viz gear, their full face helmets and their HD brand mesh jackets.
The rest of society used to look down on us. In their book, we were scum, and we used to pitty them for their way of life. Now, those buffoons wat the best of both worlds. They want their nice 9-5 jobs, their fancy houses with white picket fences and 2 car garage, they want their middle class cage and their middle class hobbies AND they want to be like us. They dress up on the week end as if it was fuggin halloween, and would love to blend in with the real guys (yep, still a few of us out there). What they don't get is that as long as you have the cops on speed dial #1. your layer on #2, and your office number on #3, you won't get acceptance from the old hardcore crowd.
And patches. They love patches. HOG, SOA, black label society, silent skulls. If not that, it has to at least be a ***** G. skull on their brand store jacket. HD everywhere. 5 times on their jacket, twice on the kevlar reinforced pants, the boots, the belt, the zippo (if they really dare smoking, duh), a HD ring, sunglasses, helmet (yuck), and so on. Gotta show what you got.
2 weeks ago, I met one of the old school guys. He was on a RK custom, having a coffee next door to where I work. He even stopped riding for a while, when those legions of biker playing suburb warriors took over. Sometimes, I exactly know how that feels like.
BTW, I just described 98% of the people on here. Guys like that cameraboy clown, or that Dan Conner jackwagon, are a dime a dozen here. Others, like twizted biker, Hamburglar, Gumpmeister, Gonzeh, Alkay and few others, not so much.
VERY well put sir, you have said what I have been thinking for a very long time. I'm just not that well versed to get my thoughts to words like you did. I got my first HD back in the early 90's, loved the rallies I went to, loved the people I met and rode with, and like you said, got a lot of bad looks from the public, and that was fine with me, now every freakin 2 (and 3) wheeler will give you "the wave"... Everyone thinks its the yups and the rubs keeping the moco going, well who kept it going in the 70's and 80's?? The real men that rode and rode hard and rode free. Would love to be back in those days again.

French, if we ever cross paths I will definitely be buying you a round or 2 of drinks.

Ride Hard.... Life is too short!

Old 07-24-2011, 03:36 PM
razzoo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Lunch Meat
VERY well put sir, you have said what I have been thinking for a very long time. I'm just not that well versed to get my thoughts to words like you did. I got my first HD back in the early 90's, loved the rallies I went to, loved the people I met and rode with, and like you said, got a lot of bad looks from the public, and that was fine with me, now every freakin 2 (and 3) wheeler will give you "the wave"... Everyone thinks its the yups and the rubs keeping the moco going, well who kept it going in the 70's and 80's?? The real men that rode and rode hard and rode free. Would love to be back in those days again.

French, if we ever cross paths I will definitely be buying you a round or 2 of drinks.

Ride Hard.... Life is too short!

The 90's? That does not make you a rebel hanging with the MoCo in the hard times. From Wikipedia " By 1990, with the introduction of the "Fat Boy", Harley once again became the sales leader in the heavyweight class". You were just on the leading edge of the return to popularity. I remember hanging with HD riders in the 70's, these guys were true believers (and no I was not one of them) -- I was in high school and riding a CB350.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson.

I give generally give "everyone" a wave or a nod, whether on my Triumph or the Sporty . I have even been known to wave at a someone riding a scooter. Feel free to give me a scowl in return if you see me wave (for having the audacity to wave at a "real biker").

Last edited by razzoo; 07-24-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Aw man, give the guy cred for coming from where he came from. To them, what they experience is the same as us ol' duffers; we just know it ain't.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wasn't there, but I'd bet bikers in the 1910s,20s,30s,40s etc. thought every crop of the new riders of the times were posers, wannabes, and hadn't paid their dues... the newfangled bikes were nothing like in the "old days".

Similar to music of the day vs. what you grew up hearing, wouldn't you say?

So next time you climb on your high horse, remember there were those who came long before you too and thought of you as the johnny-come-lately.

Quick Reply: Buy A Harley, CHANGE your lifestyle??