The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How often do you ride your bike?
Daily with a 2nd vehicle for bad weather
63.77%
Daily only vehicle
13.04%
Few days a week max
18.84%
Weekend rider only
4.35%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Daily Bike Riders??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:17 AM
darkcvc
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Daily Bike Riders??

I searched around for a thread about this but did not find anything, If I am wrong point me in the right direction please.

I was curious to see how many other riders out there ride their bike every day, as a primary vehicle. I got my bike in February, and have only had to drive my car a handful of times since then. I live in Virginia so I know there will be a few really cold months I will use my car, but otherwise I plan to keep this up as long as possible.

Anyone else use their bike every day to go to and from work?

Old 06-10-2011, 10:39 AM
01ragtop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride my Wide Glide to work everyday because my wife needs the F-150 for work and school. The only times that I wished I had a car was last week when I had the flu, and in the rain because Southern California interstates make me nervous when they are wet. A MSF instructor was killed a few months ago here when a car in front of him lost control in the rain. I wasn't there when it happened, but I rolled through just as the EMTs got there; he, a SUV, and a semi all got together. Maybe there are a hundred things the rider could have done differently, but if it can happen to a long time MSF instructor, it can happen to anyone.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:39 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,156 Likes on 1,795 Posts

I'd say, during summer months, 75% of the time. And I go to clients offices for my work (take care of their computer networks/servers)...so I ride all throughout the day when I take the bike to work.

I live in New England..so winter months get difficult w/snow on the ground. But I still usually ride through Nov, Dec, this past year I got out New Years Day (see sig pic..that's snow on the ground on New Years). Had about 6 weeks this past winter without any rides.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:40 AM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

During the summer I do. But during the school year I have been taking my daughter to school on my way to work, so I have been using the truck. When the next school year starts tho, I will be taking her to school on the bike more often than not. It's been real nice going back and forth to work all week on $8 worth of gas.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

Florida here, so pretty much, yeah I'm a daily rider. Now, I don't always go to the office to work and sometimes I have to carry too much crap, but other than that I'm pretty much on the bike all the time to/from work.

Of course, other things will influence my decision. Like whether or not I need to pick up the kids and if I'll have time to change vehicles first, etc...

Old 06-10-2011, 11:11 AM
drbald1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride more days than not. My wife figured it out one time (she's a science nerd and likes numbers more than me). It's something like 75% of the year.

There was a period of about 6 years where I only had the bike. It's been kind of nice to choose to ride.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:18 AM
darkcvc
Tourer

Originally Posted by drbald1
I ride more days than not. My wife figured it out one time (she's a science nerd and likes numbers more than me). It's something like 75% of the year.

There was a period of about 6 years where I only had the bike. It's been kind of nice to choose to ride.
Where do you live that you rode year round?

Anyone have any suggestions for what to wear to cut the wind? I dress business casual for work and when the weather is cold, it goes right through the pants. that is really the only part of my that gets cold. I have nice gloves, jacket, boots, and full face helmet, but can't keep my legs warm...

Old 06-10-2011, 11:18 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

80 miles a day 5 days a week for me. When I bought the bike I thought it would be only recreational ridding but that was 88,000 miles ago on my 07. One of the best things about living in california!

Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

If you dont like chaps check out leg gators. I here they work pretty good.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:24 AM
darkcvc
Tourer

Originally Posted by soft 02
80 miles a day 5 days a week for me. When I bought the bike I thought it would be only recreational ridding but that was 88,000 miles ago on my 07. One of the best things about living in california!
Wow that is some serious riding! I would love to live in a place with weather like CA...

Quick Reply: Daily Bike Riders??