The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How often do you ride your bike?
Daily with a 2nd vehicle for bad weather
63.77%
Daily only vehicle
13.04%
Few days a week max
18.84%
Weekend rider only
4.35%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Daily Bike Riders??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 PM
rafael53
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Daily rider myself....or rather during the week. Weekends I mostly drive in AC...l know, I'm backwards.

Might be a bit to heavy for just cutting the breeze but try some Carhart bib-alls.

I use them when it gets cold down here and they work great. But, I don't care to suit up in the morning those days so allot more times I'll take my vehicle. Besides did enough of that when I lived in Va. For 3 to 4 years my bike was my only means of transportation. Don't got to do that no mo'...God willing.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:48 PM
whodares
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride daily, but it's just for local errands because I work from home.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Originally Posted by darkcvc
Where do you live that you rode year round?

Anyone have any suggestions for what to wear to cut the wind? I dress business casual for work and when the weather is cold, it goes right through the pants. that is really the only part of my that gets cold. I have nice gloves, jacket, boots, and full face helmet, but can't keep my legs warm...
Haha. You must be one of those guys rhat makes fun of chaps(not assless, they're all assless or they would be pants). Gotta have chaps when its cold. They work great. The guys that say you should wear leather pants, must leave em on all day. I take my chaps on and off to go to work, or shop. Everytime I use them since joining this forum, I laugh at all the good days the guys who won't wear chaps are missing riding. Since I bought my FLHTCUI, I have ridden everyday, except for days I need to haul something with my truck. Or heavy thunderstorms on way to work. Get chaps!

Old 06-10-2011, 08:25 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I "gave" my jeep to my son for his daily driver when I bought the Dyna...so unless I borrow the jeep for a trip to the store, I'm on two wheels, rain or shine.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:01 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i ride everyday its over 30 deg, not pouring rain or snowing.. ya'll can laugh, but in winter i use a snowmobile suit for my morning cummute.. its easier to pull on 3 zippers and thrown the ff helmet on then it is all the different layers. plus its dark in the morning and most people can't see i look like a goonball .. i usually don't need it on the ride home because being a mechanic i wear thermals on a daily basis anyways..

Old 06-11-2011, 06:10 AM
drbald1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Froggy, I used to use a snowmobile suit I picked up cheap, but it had some kind of slippery nylon shell on the outside, and I slid around a lot on the seat.

I always felt like I was gonna slide off into traffic.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:35 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Originally Posted by RT750
Everytime I use them since joining this forum, I laugh at all the good days the guys who won't wear chaps are missing riding.
Choosing not to wear chaps doesn't mean one is missing out on riding in the cold weather. I don't, and won't, wear chaps. But I don't miss opportunities to ride year round either. See pic in my sig? Wife and I rode on New Years Day....yup...that's snow on the ground you see in that pic. She won't ride in the winter much, but I usually get out at least once a month during the New England winter days. I'll go when it's as low as in the 20's. This year went for a 6 week stretch without..due to extreme snow. But that was unusual...so it's usually once a month in the winter when the roads are clear enough (sand/salt/snow factor).

Winter jeans...flannel on the inside of 'em. And...uhm...I'm not missing a thing.

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 06-11-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Garandman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Roadster is a fair-weather bike.

Ride the V-Strom from March to November because it has large aluminum bags, windshield, hand guards, heated grips, Gerbing hookup, GPS, ABS brakes, 5.8 gallon tank, etc etc. The weekends are for family so most of my miles are commuting or business visits.

There are a few folks that ride over the winter but I put everything away once the road salt comes out - few bikes stand up to that.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:59 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by drbald1
Froggy, I used to use a snowmobile suit I picked up cheap, but it had some kind of slippery nylon shell on the outside, and I slid around a lot on the seat.

I always felt like I was gonna slide off into traffic.

i'm not sure what my is made of.. i never had the slippery feeling though. maybe the fatboy wide seat has something to do with it. i know wearing the suit gave me a place to stuff my laptop when i needed to bring it back and forth to work a few times.

the hard drive went south and i had to bring it home to put it up on the puter lift for major repairs. the lifts at work were to big..

Old 06-11-2011, 07:15 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im a daily rider too but lately I have been getting this feeling like riding the bike to and from work is just as routine as driving my truck. What Im sayin is that there is no enjoyment in it. At least to me. It hasnt always been like that but in the last year or so it just seems that way. Ya get on and go to work. Ya get on and come home. Simple, routine, same roads, same sights day in and day out. Im beginning to wonder if its even worth riding to work if I cant enjoy the ride. Its 30 miles round trip to and from. On weekend rides or trips its always a good ride and feels good all the time. Maybe its just me and this feeling will pass. I dont know. I am trying to split between the truck and bike every other day or two on the commute but so far it hasnt helped. Im workin on it.

Quick Reply: Daily Bike Riders??