The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Harley owners really like this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011 | 11:47 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Ok, here is my response.....I was at a gas station once and met 2 guys from ZZ Top....we were talking and then noticed a guy riding a Honda pulling in. Now KNOWING that ALL Honda riders are gay crotch sniffers we all ran away.

The end.
LOL that's too funny. Sadly quite possibly true, but funny.

Old 10-10-2011 | 12:01 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by averagejoe6pak
I got this off of an Honda board since I also own a Honda VTX 1300 along with my Road King. I love all bikes Harley or not, as long as it the style I like. Are other Harley owners like this? Just curious. Ride safe!

"Disclaimer: I have nothing against Harley Davidson or the owners, just this odd behavior we VTX owners experience from time to time:

I pulled into a gas station the other day and sitting in front in a big, black raised pickup truck are two big bearded guys who totally fit the Harley rider stereotype. Both are wearing ZZTop sunglesses, have head bands on and the windshield of the has a big Harley Davidson sticker across the top.

I see them notice my bike but they quickly look away. They need to walk past my bike so I look at them thinking they might say something to me (I am a fellow biker after all) but their eyes apper to look right through me and the VTX as they walk by.

Ok, so I've gassed up and am at the pump (facing it) as I wait for my receipt to print out, and I see the 'Harley boys' walking past me in the gas pumps glass reflection . Now that my back is turned I see them checking my bike out as they walk by it.

I smile to myself thinking how it's OK to look as long as the Honda rider isn't aware of it.

When I turn around the guys are getting in thier truck and pulling out of the station, and now that I'm looking at them they offer zero eye contact. I catch up to them and pass them slowly, but they seem to have pulled the truck up with me so it can ride along side me (checking out my bike???). They pace me for a short time, then roar away in a display of power of their truck (**YAWN**).

It was all good for laugh.

Another time I was in a parking lot and noticed a guy a few spots ahead who was standing next to his custom Harley yapping on his cell. He heard my bike and saw a little of it as I swung into a parking stall just two cars from him. He starts walking over with his head craned to see what bike just pulled in and when he gets close enough to see my bike he does a fast 'about face' as though he was scared to death someone might have seen him checking out my bike.

As I walked by I checked out his bike (a very nice custom Harley) but he would not give me any eye contact. If he had I would have paid him a complement on his bike.

Many times I've parked at biker hangouts and seen this same behavior where leather clad biker types will start to look at my bike and as you see them recognise it's not a Harley they quicking turn away/move on.

I suppose there is some shame in admiring a 'pretend' Harley? Is it the plastic-chrome? The fact that it's not made in America (my Honda was)? Is a Harley owner 'cheating' on the brand if he/she admires some other brand? I just don't get it.

I love just about every brand of bike made and can admire them all even if the peticular bike isn't my 'cup-a-tea'.

Now I've noticed that some crotch-rocket owner are indifferent to my bike, but I think that is more a style difference than anything else. I'm somewhat that way with a bunch of parked sportbikes in that I'm mostly bored by them.

Just odd. . ."
Joe, do you think it's possible you're taking this too personally?

Old 10-10-2011 | 06:11 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by averagejoe6pak
I suppose there is some shame in admiring a 'pretend' Harley?
....... naah, the shame comes in after you've hitched up yer chaps & asked 'is that a Harley?'

..... btw, what IS a 'pretend harley' ?
... Funny how some refer to their rides as such, when i'm sure you'd never hear someone like an RG rider refer to his bike as a 'pretend goldwing' !

Old 10-10-2011 | 06:46 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior

I am always on the look out for for milf eyes when I gas up. I sort of get startled when a dude comes up and says 'nice bike'...not what I was ready for.

Old 10-10-2011 | 03:36 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

When I had a VTX1800, I made it look like the Harley. I called it "My Hardly a Davidson."

Old 10-11-2011 | 06:57 AM
wiredwilly
Tourer

another girlie boy worried what others think of him

Old 10-11-2011 | 08:27 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Road Toad
In all actuality, I have found metric riders to be better to ride with than Harley riders.
Please enlighten us

Old 10-11-2011 | 10:21 AM
softailman1227
Advanced

Personally I can't stand metrics because there isn't much to them and a lot of them all look the same. However I've seen some that has had some work done to them and look sharp and I've given the owner the credit that is do.

Old 10-11-2011 | 11:55 AM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member

a couple of Midol should fix everything

Old 10-11-2011 | 12:34 PM
wheel752
Road Captain

Weird... I've never seen a jap bike at gas stations or parking lots...just can't see them

Quick Reply: Are Harley owners really like this?