The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Harley owners really like this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011 | 01:11 PM
casique
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by averagejoe6pak
I got this off of an Honda board since I also own a Honda VTX 1300 along with my Road King. I love all bikes Harley or not, as long as it the style I like. Are other Harley owners like this? Just curious. Ride safe!

"Disclaimer: I have nothing against Harley Davidson or the owners, just this odd behavior we VTX owners experience from time to time:

I pulled into a gas station the other day and sitting in front in a big, black raised pickup truck are two big bearded guys who totally fit the Harley rider stereotype. Both are wearing ZZTop sunglesses, have head bands on and the windshield of the has a big Harley Davidson sticker across the top.

I see them notice my bike but they quickly look away. They need to walk past my bike so I look at them thinking they might say something to me (I am a fellow biker after all) but their eyes apper to look right through me and the VTX as they walk by.

Ok, so I've gassed up and am at the pump (facing it) as I wait for my receipt to print out, and I see the 'Harley boys' walking past me in the gas pumps glass reflection . Now that my back is turned I see them checking my bike out as they walk by it.

I smile to myself thinking how it's OK to look as long as the Honda rider isn't aware of it.

When I turn around the guys are getting in thier truck and pulling out of the station, and now that I'm looking at them they offer zero eye contact. I catch up to them and pass them slowly, but they seem to have pulled the truck up with me so it can ride along side me (checking out my bike???). They pace me for a short time, then roar away in a display of power of their truck (**YAWN**).

It was all good for laugh.

Another time I was in a parking lot and noticed a guy a few spots ahead who was standing next to his custom Harley yapping on his cell. He heard my bike and saw a little of it as I swung into a parking stall just two cars from him. He starts walking over with his head craned to see what bike just pulled in and when he gets close enough to see my bike he does a fast 'about face' as though he was scared to death someone might have seen him checking out my bike.

As I walked by I checked out his bike (a very nice custom Harley) but he would not give me any eye contact. If he had I would have paid him a complement on his bike.

Many times I've parked at biker hangouts and seen this same behavior where leather clad biker types will start to look at my bike and as you see them recognise it's not a Harley they quicking turn away/move on.

I suppose there is some shame in admiring a 'pretend' Harley? Is it the plastic-chrome? The fact that it's not made in America (my Honda was)? Is a Harley owner 'cheating' on the brand if he/she admires some other brand? I just don't get it.

I love just about every brand of bike made and can admire them all even if the peticular bike isn't my 'cup-a-tea'.

Now I've noticed that some crotch-rocket owner are indifferent to my bike, but I think that is more a style difference than anything else. I'm somewhat that way with a bunch of parked sportbikes in that I'm mostly bored by them.

Just odd. . ."
You need to stop checking Harley guys out! That's gay.....

Old 10-09-2011 | 12:57 PM
twerkman2
Cruiser

I have to agree from experience in the past I first started riding on a honda magna.
I would go to bike night and many biker dives and can truly say they are a different breed.
They have a different array about them. I now have a harley I ride like any other biker I would also help any biker no matter what kind of bike they ride. This really pertains to the old school bikers of course I think they were bread this way. "harley live or die i guess"
To hell with what you ride just ride man ride.

Old 10-09-2011 | 01:07 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member

Someone is looking for attention. Look at me I'm a big bad biker and you need to notice me.

Old 10-09-2011 | 01:16 PM
h2o
Road Captain

Sounds like the guy is making a lot of assumptions and worries too much about what others may think.

Old 10-09-2011 | 01:17 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by schumacher
this is what Harley owners are really like..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzE6gfx6O3o
Now that's why Shu is my hero. Classic

Old 10-09-2011 | 06:00 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member

I would never judge a person by what he rides. I, however, have absolutely zero interest in anything that isn't a Harley (except for maybe a restored classic,and yes, even classic rice) I find metric cruisers pitiful--kinda like a little girl that got into mommies makeup & high heels & is trying so hard to be grown up. They are shams,fakes,and frauds. They look ridiculous with those Roman helmet looking rear fenders sticking way out in a point like that.(WTF is up with those rear fenders,anyway?) With 1 or 2 exceptions, They sound terrible. They are trying to be something they are not. They are NOT honest bikes. (Even sportbikes, as much as I despise them, are "honest" bikes) Even the manufacturers are ashamed of 'em--which is why they emblazon the tanks with the BAAAAD sounding MODEL name (WARRIOR!), but the ricey sounding BRAND name is hidden in little tiny letters on an engine cover somewhere. They're SO ashamed of 'em, that even Yamaha changed the BRAND name of their cruisers to "Star". Wassamatter--Yamaha sound too Asian for Amellica? Hell, if the ricers made an honest bike, like an air cooled inline 4 that had no pre-concieved image like they had in the 70s, without having to be something else, like a cruiser,or sport-tourer, or sportbike,hell I'd prolly buy one.

So, when I go to bike night, and look at all the Harleys, but pass up all the metrics, it is just my way of saying I ain't interested in looking at your rice in the slightest. You could be the greatest person in the world, and I would have you over for dinner & you could even marry my daughter(if I had one, but I don't;I don't think anyway) but I ain't showin' the slightest interest in your sukiyaki. I'm not gonna be dishonest & say "nice bike,man" when I find your tempura-cycle repulsive & poseur-ish, I just ain't gonna say nuttin'(most people today "can't handle the truth"anyway, to quote Jack Nicholson) I find more fascination in a Hyundai.(actually, I really LOVE the new Elantras) Doesn't mean I don't like you;just your bike. But, I would still ride with you, 'cause I know a helluva lotta ******** who ride Harleys, and a helluva lotta great people who ride sushi. They just do nuttin' for me.

Last edited by dickey; 10-09-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2011 | 06:07 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member

I occasionally ride with a friend who owns a (gasp!) Honda Fury.

Old 10-09-2011 | 06:16 PM
Road Toad
Road Warrior

In all actuality, I have found metric riders to be better to ride with than Harley riders.

Old 10-09-2011 | 06:25 PM
klap
Road Master

..how is it the newbies always dig up the old threads?......<sigh>....

Old 10-09-2011 | 11:25 PM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member

Does it really matter that much? I think not!

Quick Reply: Are Harley owners really like this?