The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgaters!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

If they don't back off for the brake light taps, I extend the clutch hand back, palm down, and flit the fingers in the "go away" motion.
It is absolutely amazing how nearly everyone backs off. I then give a thumb up "thanky" and keep a close eye on them.
Throwing stuff is the dumbest thing you could possibly do unless they're the only car on the road behind you and you're sure they aren't armed.
How could they hurt you then, when all they have is a 2000+ lb. juggernaut.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Piston71
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's unbelievable what some people will do when they get behind the wheel of a car...

Tonight I was at a stop light waiting to hit the highway onramp, lady pulls up behind me within inches of my bike! I look back and give the WTF gesture, I pulled forward to give a little room and she closes in. I just ignore it and hope no one plows into her as I have no where to go now.
So light turns green and we're heading towards the highway and she is literally so close I can't see her bumper and Im fairly close to the car in front of me... no where to go. I motion for her to back off but that doesnt work, I gradually slow a bit and give some room between me and the car ahead and accelerate quickly to get away.

WTF she's on my a$$ again so I pull to the shoulder (at night which is just as dangerous) and let her go by, of course yelling a few choice words that she might understand!!! I paced her for a while to see that she was texting and dang near pushing the car head of her in the process.

No offense intended to the ladies on this site but honestly about 80% of the issues I seem to be involved in are women behind the wheel.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:09 PM
kevmic28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtSkiddz
You left out my personal pet peave.

People who think they have to come to a complete stop to make a right hand turn.
I got a ticket last year for doing that, so you cant really be too ticked at someone actually following the law. Even on a green I will ease up on a right turn, too many damn red light runners out here in the country by me.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:39 PM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kevmic28
I got a ticket last year for doing that, so you cant really be too ticked at someone actually following the law. Even on a green I will ease up on a right turn, too many damn red light runners out here in the country by me.
If you would have red a few more posts down from that one of mine you quoted. You will see where I asked the question "Where in my post did I mention a red light?"

Old 06-05-2011, 06:45 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Always let these knuckleheads know I do not want them on my tail,when on the bike,or in my vehicles.They are not going away so we have to deal with them.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:27 AM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find about 99% of people don't tailgate or back off when you turn around or signal them to back off. The problem is 1% is still too many people. I call them the " It's all about me" people. They really don't care about anyone but themselves.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

I think I know what you tried to say; you just sorta got it a little mixed - I'd still rather get as many as I can to back off if I think they're even a little bit too close than just let them stupidly put me at risk.
I wonder what might happen if you had a pill bottle full of confetti you could open up and let the wind suddenly take it all back at someone who wouldn't back off?
Might be funny as heck, but could cause them to change lanes or slam on brakes and make the guy behind them hit them. Hate to mess up the wrong guy.
I had one like that woman once; scared the crap outta me: I thought they were AFTER me on some vendetta, like thinking I was the guy who raped their sister or something.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:13 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I've had people follow me closer than I would like, but in almost 30 years of riding I've never let it bother me. Usually it will be as I'm approaching or leaving a town, and just for a short distance. On the road I slow down and let them pass.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Well, it doesn't have to bother you man. It just takes you hitting the brakes ONE time when they're busy lighting a cigarette or looking elsewhere. It also hides you from others behind you, making it look like an open space in front of the tailgater.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:07 AM
madchemist24
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Was on a 25mph road yesterday, see a suv rolling up in my mirrors. Dude got so close only his windshield reflected back at me. I turned looked at him and gave the back off wave. I got the wtf hands in the air as a response followed by a get the f out the way yelled at me. Im on a two lane road with gravel shoulders, I got nowhere to pull over. I got a car ahead of me and cannot speed up to get away. So, I ride til the road split a mile up. The ***** flew passed me and his woman in the passenger seat yells obscenities at me as they passed.

Some people have no concept of the damage they can do if they hit a biker. Probably think they will just have some scratches they can buff out.

Quick Reply: Tailgaters!!!