The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant quite make myself.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:55 AM
itchin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant quite make myself.....

Ok I'am havin a tough time here. Heres the problem. I cant quite make myself do the whole HD thing...,yet. But i think I'am close. I do love me some streetglide. I Had an older FXWG back in the day and when my daughter was born i sold it and concentrated on raising my family. That done, i needed to ride. For alot of reasons, i finally settled on an 06 Triumph SpeedTriple. I LOVE this bike. But, theres always a but, it is not practical. I cant carry ****, it's made for the curves and there are'nt any around here, and last, my neck is fried and my shoulder is wrecked. I have no one to ride with , my age, because i just cant drone down the highway on that bike. That big triple talks to ya, ya know. I should mention that i turn 52 in the next couple weeks. I dont consider myself a squid, i'am just an older sportbike rider that still likes to rip it up now and then and is slowly coming to terms with the fact that he might have to start hidin behind a windshield, which might be kinda nice. My speedy is a nice bike and is a modern day classic IMO. I spent a few Dollars gettin her just right. I would have to sell her to finance the HX. What to do? Any thoughts?

Old 05-13-2011, 07:03 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Never let the idea of age predcit or run your life. Live everyday as if it was your last becuase it just might be. Your as young as you feel. Ride what and how you want to!!!! Never mind everybody else.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:36 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by itchin
Ok I'am havin a tough time here. Heres the problem. I cant quite make myself do the whole HD thing...,yet. But i think I'am close. I do love me some streetglide. I Had an older FXWG back in the day and when my daughter was born i sold it and concentrated on raising my family. That done, i needed to ride. For alot of reasons, i finally settled on an 06 Triumph SpeedTriple. I LOVE this bike. But, theres always a but, it is not practical. I cant carry ****, it's made for the curves and there are'nt any around here, and last, my neck is fried and my shoulder is wrecked. I have no one to ride with , my age, because i just cant drone down the highway on that bike. That big triple talks to ya, ya know. I should mention that i turn 52 in the next couple weeks. I dont consider myself a squid, i'am just an older sportbike rider that still likes to rip it up now and then and is slowly coming to terms with the fact that he might have to start hidin behind a windshield, which might be kinda nice. My speedy is a nice bike and is a modern day classic IMO. I spent a few Dollars gettin her just right. I would have to sell her to finance the HX. What to do? Any thoughts?
I'm a "performance" type rider as well, so I hope I can help.
If you can't keep the Triple you need a bike that you can ride comfortably as well as being able to "put the hammer down". The only harley that does that for me is Dyna. All you need is a windshield and a pair of soft bags to go Sport Touring or leave it naked for around town.
New bikes I'd consider would be Superglide and StreetBob, but the Bob would need low bars. Keep mid controlls and low bars. The position will still feel "relaxed" compared to the Triumph, but you'll quickly get used to it.
There are some fantastic deals out there on used bikes. I picked up my '00 Superglide almost 2 years ago for $4200.
I just can't see going from sport bike to 800 pound bagger ....

Old 05-13-2011, 08:41 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

use and get what you like
to reiterate Timmy and Alkay191

I'm 58 and I ride within my limits at this point of my life
Road Clyde and a "48"

Just enjoy!!!!!!!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:15 AM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

I had an 04 Speed Triple, an an 06 Ducati ST3 at the same time. They both could fly. The Ducati was a sport-tourer with hard bags, but could rip through the twisties and go over 150 MPH if that's what you're after. The Triumph Sprint ST is pretty equivilant to it. I made the mistake of selling both and getting a big bagger. Hated it after a while. 800pounds and real soft suspension, etc. just is not for me. On the other hand I don't ride 150 MPH any more (turning 60 next week), so now I ride a Triumph Scrambler - nice and light, fun in the twisties and still a cool bike and a Harley Rocker, which I love. You still might want a bagger but make sure you ride one first and really think if that's what you want. I throw bags on the Scrambler, or a big sissy bag on the Rocker and still go out and tour. The rest of the time the bags are off and I'm riding a nice naked bike.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:27 AM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

There's a reason Harley owners are an older demographic: Comfort!

Old 05-13-2011, 11:54 AM
smketr7139
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your age shouldn't determine "what or how" you ride. For example: I am 31 married with 4 children and I ride a 2003 Heritage Softail Classic (all my buddies ride FX softails for speed) my FLSTC is tricked out looks-wise but is bone stock motor, big fat ugly seat for the wife and I but a barebones for when I solo, leather bags, ect. I always tell my buddies when they give me "chit" bout riding slow that I bought a Harley to ENJOY MY RIDING MY WAY! I know quite a few guys with Street Glides and they are or can be a very fast scooter!! I have one buddy that is 23 and just bought a Street Glide and loves it. Its an endless list of different bikes for different styles of riding but if you are creative you can have the best of both worlds!!

Old 05-16-2011, 03:11 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

speaking of street bobs (alkay), sig below depicts my dyna as it was 5 years ago. i was 52 then. still have the same scoot, but now its loaded with bags, shield, crash bars and such. i'm too lazy to take pictures of it now...

Old 05-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 845 Posts

I agree with alkay191. I really like my Street Bob. I use it for all kinds of riding, including 500+ miles a day touring. I'm 52 years old, and I can't imagine getting a bagger. The Street Bob is a friggen Cadillac compared to the japanese bikes I used to ride.

Crazy

Old 05-16-2011, 10:20 PM
chromedome09
Road Master

Guy at work just sold his triumph and bought a streetglide. He loves it. He is doing more highway riding to work everyday. Says he loves the way it handles going down the highway and passing semi trucks.

Quick Reply: Cant quite make myself.....