The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant quite make myself.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:55 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Sell the rice, buy the Harley, and don't look back. You'll be happy you did!

Old 05-17-2011, 01:02 AM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shut up and get the Harley. Stop this bickering. We'll talk later.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:02 AM
Piston71
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny, I just went through this samething a month ago!

I had always been a sportbike or dirtbike rider and cringe at the thought of giving that up so that the wife could ride with me. So, I go out and buy a CBR929 and have a blast just like the old days... but something was missing. Don't get me wrong, I loved riding the bike and felt more comfortable on the 929 because of the sitting position. But, as anyoe knows you don't spend more than about 30 minutes to an hour on them before its time to get/fall off.

I decided to pull the trigger and get my first HD (Street Glide) in which I needed to use the 929 as a trade-in, it was a sad day for me but I've always wanted a HD and now was the time! Every one of my friends that had HD's said "Oh you'll never miss that crotch rocket once you fire up the HD". While that might be true, they also hated sportbikes and I still loved them... that aside I went ahead and picked up the SG.

After 3 weeks I can honestly say I don't miss the sportbike AT ALL. Its hard to explain but its a totally different mindset now, whole different attitude towards riding. And with the 103, it can still get me in trouble lol

Old 05-17-2011, 02:37 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter616
use and get what you like
to reiterate Timmy and Alkay191

I'm 58 and I ride within my limits at this point of my life
Road Clyde and a "48"

Just enjoy!!!!!!!
What he said , I just built my own the way I wanted a bike . It's dual purpose I can toss on the bags and a windvestfor road trips or drop the baggage stiffen up the air shocks , adjust the damping in that 60mm inverted Marchozzi frontend and with about 90hp I can get all the chicken stripe on the sides of the tires in the canyons around here and look good doing it .

Old 05-17-2011, 08:11 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Sell the rice, buy the Harley, and don't look back. You'll be happy you did!
Not that there is anything wrong with Japanese bikes, but Triumph is Brit.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:18 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by S_Glide
Funny, I just went through this samething a month ago!

I had always been a sportbike or dirtbike rider and cringe at the thought of giving that up so that the wife could ride with me. So, I go out and buy a CBR929 and have a blast just like the old days... but something was missing. Don't get me wrong, I loved riding the bike and felt more comfortable on the 929 because of the sitting position. But, as anyoe knows you don't spend more than about 30 minutes to an hour on them before its time to get/fall off.

I decided to pull the trigger and get my first HD (Street Glide) in which I needed to use the 929 as a trade-in, it was a sad day for me but I've always wanted a HD and now was the time! Every one of my friends that had HD's said "Oh you'll never miss that crotch rocket once you fire up the HD". While that might be true, they also hated sportbikes and I still loved them... that aside I went ahead and picked up the SG.

After 3 weeks I can honestly say I don't miss the sportbike AT ALL. Its hard to explain but its a totally different mindset now, whole different attitude towards riding. And with the 103, it can still get me in trouble lol
The whole point is that OP isn't sure if he is ready to give up sport riding.
Your SG is a cool bike, but there is no way you can "manhandle" 800+ bike thru the twisty stuff the way you can a Sporty or Dyna.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmhlP...eature=related

Old 05-17-2011, 08:33 AM
dFREDb
Club Member

Originally Posted by hd_sob
speaking of street bobs (alkay), sig below depicts my dyna as it was 5 years ago. i was 52 then. still have the same scoot, but now its loaded with bags, shield, crash bars and such. i'm too lazy to take pictures of it now...
Now that is some funny chit! Never had a sport bike so I can't empathize with letting go of the Triumph, but you could get something to rip it up later down the line a little less expensive. I know what it's like to get a bike just the way you want it, then have to part with it for one reason or another. +1 on the Dyna line up.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by alkay191
Your SG is a cool bike, but there is no way you can "manhandle" 800+ bike thru the twisty stuff the way you can a Sporty or Dyna.

Bro you'd get a hardon riding my bike , she a culmination of 38 yrs in the saddle and a tendency to be a maniac when the call of the wild strikes . My bars gotta go I like them a bit lower with more turn out aside from that it will handle close to a Vrod in the twisties , straight line roads are for pussies and posers .

The vid doesn't make a real point , that an apple vrs oranges thing there . That kind of track takes a very short wheel baselight bike , a XR-750 would be a blast on that one .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 05-17-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:38 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Bro you'd get a hardon riding my bike , she a culmination of 38 yrs in the saddle and a tendency to be a maniac when the call of the wild strikes . My bars gotta go I like them a bit lower with more turn out aside from that it will handle close to a Vrod in the twisties , straight line roads are for pussies and posers .

The vid doesn't make a real point , that an apple vrs oranges thing there . That kind of track takes a very short wheel baselight bike , a XR-750 would be a blast on that one .
The video was just to show that even Dyna is a handful in tight stuff and you'd have to be Superman to do that with big 'Glide. When I first started racing I was a Endurance Racing ***** and would jump on anything offered. I've been on few different bikes from 250 Ninja to 150HP R1 Yamaha. When it comes to corners, little bikes are much more fun.

I love the way your Shovel is set up! Other than the tall bars, I'd love it long time! Oh, mid controls too, please!

Last edited by alkay191; 05-17-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Piston71
Advanced

Originally Posted by alkay191

Never said my SG handles like a sportbike, I mentioned its a whole different mentality to riding. There's a compromise for sure but what im saying and what I understood the OP is questioning is the benifits far outweigh the cost of giving up the sportbike.

Quick Reply: Cant quite make myself.....