The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are You A Pirate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 07:55 PM
chromedome09
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when did pirates where chaps? I don't remember that part of history i guess.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:04 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Aye matey, I ert thee pirate yee be lookin fer.
I score three on your test. Doo rag, boots and chaps.
I never seen a pirate with chaps in any of the pictures or movies, so drop that question and I'm down to 2.

You might want to add a question about skulls and another about flags. Bonus points for flying a flag with a skull on it. I still only score 2, but like I said, I ert thee pirate yee be lookin fer. Arrg.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:05 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have the puffy shirt. Or the big steering wheel. Arghhhhhh!

Old 05-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Friday55
Road Master

I scored 3 on the pirate test; doo rag, beard, chaps.

What about chaining your wallet to your belt loop?

Old 05-07-2011, 08:16 PM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LAMing
Alrighty now boys and girls...

Been gettin' the giggles reading some of my dual sport riding forums. The dirt boys refer to our cruiser bikes as "pirate bikes".

This got me to thinkin'... what constitutes a "pirate" biker???

Thought I'd take a self-test to see where I rank in this Pirate thing. Maybe I'm a Pirate too!

Lessee'...

1. Doo Rag: Yup, I wear one, even under the helmet. When I am out and about in the sun... and seeing as I have "less" than a full head of hair... it helps me to prevent looking like a boiled lobster up top. Pirate Point: 1.

2. Harley Jacket: Yup. Guilty. HOWEVER... it's a textile jacket and not leather. BUT... it DOES have a big HD eagle on the back. Pirate Point: 1

3. Tatoo(s): None. Thought about getting a really cool, bad azz looking one... maybe Sylvester the Cat? Anyway, no tat. Pirate Point: 0

4. Riding Boots: Argghhh!! I have HD boots!! Pirate Point: 1

5. Beard: No beard... but I DO have a "fu-man-chu" type mustache thingy. Pirate Point: 1/2. (For not having a beard, but having facial hair!)

6. Chaps: Whew! Missed this one. I don't do chaps. Prefer to ride in my jeans. Pirate Point: 0

7. Vest. Nope, no vest either. Doubt I'll get one... but I have considered it. After all, it would be a great place to display the patches n' pins that seem to be growing in numbers. Pirate Point: 0

8. Patches n' Pins: Have some, but not mounted on any riding gear! Dodged that bullet, didn't I? Pirate Point: 0

9. Fingerless Gloves: Nope!!! Typically, I ride with some old dirt bike gloves that I love. Very soft and great for all-day comfort. Pirate Point: 0

10. Wife Beater Shirt: Whew!! Don't have one! Typically I wear white in the hot months, instead of the common black color. More often than not it's just a plain jane, non-decorated T shirt. Pirate Point: 0

Lesse', that brings my total Pirate Score up to 3 1/2 out of 10.

How do you score?

Are you a full-blown Pirate Biker??
LAMing, I think any jacket that is the more traditional "biker" jacket, counts. There should be double points if the jacket says "Harley-Davidson". Jackets that would be worn on the track, along with those 3/4 lenght "touring" jackets, would not count. If you look like Brando in "The Wild One" you count.
Face masks: these should count. Double points if they have skulls or partial skulls.
Half Helmets: these should count
Boots: they shouldn't have to say "Harley-Davidson" in order to count. Engineer style, any Dingo boot, boots that weight 10 lb.s each, etc.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:17 PM
sjp3003
Advanced

I score about half a pirate point: Harley textile FXRG jacket I only use for day trips when its in the 50's and 60's...I use other stuff for longer trips (Aerostitch Darien), colder temps (textile Firstgear suit) and hot weather (Perforated Textile jackets).

On the other hand I've got good dirt cred: Ktm 990 Adventure/offroad boots/MX gloves/Dual Sport helmet/goggles/Adventure jacket/Waterproof Enduro pants. Never thought of HD riders as pirates though.

Last edited by sjp3003; 05-07-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Oldtigercub
Cruiser

1. Doo rag - check - I am also "hair challenged" so I like having something to give my noggin a little shade from the sun, and keep the sweat out of my eyes.

2. Harley Jacket - no - Though I do wear a leather jacket when it gets a little cooler.

3. Tats - semi-check- I have one, but I don't think Opus is exactly a biker Tat.

4. Boots - definate check - I nearly always wear sturdy boots when I ride.

5. Beard - Check - for the moment...it started off as a "playoff beard" but my team is out of the Stanley Cup running. Now it's just there 'cause I haven't gotten around to clipping it off.

6. Chaps - semi-check - I have 'em, but only wear them when it gets too cold to ride without them.

7. Vest - Check - and, yeah, it has patches and pins all over it. I don't wear it most the time though, usually just for gatherings and PG rides.

8. Pins and patches - see number 7.

9. Fingerless gloves - Check - Always wear the fingerless variety unless it's too cold. Full finger gloves always felt awkward to me, but I still like the improved grip I get compared to bare-handing it.

10. Wife beater - nope - just tee's (sometimes long, sometimes short)

7 out of 10....Arrrgggggghhhhh!! Shiver me timbers!

On a side note I also carry a sword and flint-lock pistol, wear an eye-patch, have a pet parrot, love rum and refer to my girlfriend as "Wench".

Now excuse me...I gotta head to Walmart and get a plush bear for the back of my Gold Wing!

Old 05-07-2011, 08:41 PM
LAMing
Road Master

Good to see most of you have a finely tuned sense of humor!

Arrgh!! Good points on the half helmet and double points if a jacket has an HD emblem. Reckon I'll take another swig of me rum and re-figure me points....

However, just today I DID purchase a replacement for the half helmet: A 3/4 so I can mount the intercom stuff inside in order to intercom with the wife on our first road trip aboard our new Ultra C. Our plans are to leave for Colorado in about 3 weeks.

sjp3003:

I hadn't heard the term "pirate bike" either until reading the term recently on the Adventure Rider forum.

As for KTM: Owned two of them over the years. Great bikes. I will have to say that the most durable and trouble free off road bike I've ever owned has been a '90 XR250R that I bought new. It's still out in the garage among the survivors of the Great Bike Sell-Off I've had the past year or so. Down from a high of 9 bikes packed in the garage at once to only 3. Looking to replace the XR later this year... but boy... it's been a good bike.

Last edited by LAMing; 05-07-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:44 PM
chromedome09
Road Master

Thinking maybe TV and movies don't have a clue when it comes to what pirates look like.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Thatguy08
Cruiser

Damn I got an 8 outta 10 for my riding gear today. Arrrgh... All I need now is a sword. I was missing a wife beater and beard. LOL.

Quick Reply: Are You A Pirate?