The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK Road Condition Rant

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Sledhed
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK Road Condition Rant

Wow, I am in OKC for the time being and seems everywhere I try to ride around here the roads are crap. I have been able to find somewhat decent scenery, but the road surfaces are very poor. Anyone have good rides through/around town? I find myself cringing at every bridge deck approach/departure, RR crossing, or culvert crossing. I hate the fact that my bike is getting railed constantly, may have to head east to ride!

Old 04-29-2011, 11:07 PM
bravo3g
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sledhed
Wow, I am in OKC for the time being and seems everywhere I try to ride around here the roads are crap. I have been able to find somewhat decent scenery, but the road surfaces are very poor. Anyone have good rides through/around town? I find myself cringing at every bridge deck approach/departure, RR crossing, or culvert crossing. I hate the fact that my bike is getting railed constantly, may have to head east to ride!
I lived in OK for a few yrs in HS and I honestly don't know what oklahoma does with it's tax money but it sure isnt spent on roads. The weather is pretty shitty during rain/tornado season so that may be why the roads get torn up so easily. Try a ride out to Lake thunderbird. Didn't ride when I lived there but the drive there was always beautiful

Old 04-30-2011, 03:56 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't say anything about Oklahoma's roads, but I know here in Mizzery they are "making sure that the public is safe," according to a MODOT spokesman. I'm not really sure what that encompasses, but I'm thinking the roads will be maintained on a marginal basis. It could be a rough summer.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:09 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Grew up in Oklahoma and I don't remember the roads being all that bad when I rode my motorcycle but when we went back there last June the roads were pretty craptacular especially I40 coming into Okiehoma from Arkansas.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Cheeto
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to my world. I grew up in North Georgia where the roads are great and then the USAF has had me in OKC for almost 5 years now. I haven't found any decent rides where both the scenery and road condition were worth a damn.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:14 PM
bravo3g
Advanced

Yeah. Not a whole lot to see or do in Oklahoma. I think if you have a big truck, you're better off. Go to the lake and go "muddin" or fishin.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Sledhed
Intermediate

If the weather will cooperate, I will be heading to the Fayetteville,AR area soon. These crappy roads and high speed limits are driving me nutz!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:49 PM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Rode about 600 miles this weekend and a lot of it was in the Arbuckle mountain areas then up to OKC and back home. You are correct, most roads are crap

Old 05-02-2011, 07:00 PM
SurfGuitar141
Tourer

It's pretty bad here in New Jersey, after two harsh winters with record snow fall, and a lot of freeze / thaw / freeze, every road has become an obstacle course of potholes, and where there's potholes, there's usually loose gravel around it to make things worse.....
It's also the reason I put a padded back rest on my Fat Boy, almost lost the wife a couple times because of the road conditions....

Old 05-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Sledhed
Intermediate

rpbrown, was the riding in the Arbuckles any better? I would like to head down there if its worth it. Any scenic routes with decent road surfaces?
I am from MN and we have much colder weather than OK and also have freeze/thaw cycles in the fall and spring. The roads up there get bad, but they settle down and heal, here they are not getting better! Go figure...

Quick Reply: OK Road Condition Rant