The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went for my first ride this weekend and something disturbing happened.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:55 AM
BBBSS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went for my first ride this weekend and something disturbing happened.

I was out cruising, enjoying life again, and then it happened. A Harley went by, nice looking bike, no wave. It's cool, I didn't wave either. Then another Harley and he had the ol lady on the back. No wave. No biggie, I didn't either again.

Then it happens. The sport bike coming up to me does wave at me! I do the wave back and then the world started spinning out of control. Clearly this wasn't right, and judging by the threads on here at times, I knew I had to rush back and report this to everyone! Clearly the world is about to end, possibly sooner than 2012.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:02 AM
Jbizzle
Road Captain

Hmmm. Yup. I agree, the end is near!! But hey, here's to a good ride!

Old 04-11-2011, 02:28 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

May be that the other two riders were waiting for you to wave first. Just sayin'.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:01 AM
DMacLeod
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
May be that the other two riders were waiting for you to wave first. Just sayin'.
HaHaHaHa Right. They probably went home bitching the same thing.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:07 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

This is great news. I was out yesterday and passed a LOT of bikes and got one wave. I was going to start a thread to say "Stop the wave!", looks like it's hapening. The wave is distracting, we see each other, I know you're there, don't need to wave at you and wait for you to wave back at me. Let the wave die.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 AM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe if some of us Harley riders wheren't so busy trying to be cool and wait for the "other" guy to wave first , we wouldn't come off as looking like such snobs . It's tridition . I won't wave if my situation dictates that I need both hands on the bars and a wave would be dangerous . But most of the time this is not the case and I do wave . If you can't take one hand off for a couple of seconds for fear of loosing control then maybe you need some riding lessons , or some ***** .

Old 04-11-2011, 06:26 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you based the end of the world on some Harley riders attitudes, it would have ended a long time ago.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:29 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by Bike-R-Mike
Maybe if some of us Harley riders wheren't so busy trying to be cool and wait for the "other" guy to wave first , we wouldn't come off as looking like such snobs . It's tridition . I won't wave if my situation dictates that I need both hands on the bars and a wave would be dangerous . But most of the time this is not the case and I do wave . If you can't take one hand off for a couple of seconds for fear of loosing control then maybe you need some riding lessons , or some ***** .
LOL, "tradition"
Back in the 70's I saw a cartoon in an Easyriders magazine. It was a drawing of a Harley dresser dash and one of the lights had the tag "Honda rider approaching, prepare to wave". I don't remember this wave stuff from back then, I guess it's a new tradition.

Last edited by OldMike; 04-11-2011 at 06:35 AM. Reason: added text
Old 04-11-2011, 07:02 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BBBSS
I was out cruising, enjoying life again, and then it happened. A Harley went by, nice looking bike, no wave. It's cool, I didn't wave either. Then another Harley and he had the ol lady on the back. No wave. No biggie, I didn't either again.

Then it happens. The sport bike coming up to me does wave at me! I do the wave back and then the world started spinning out of control. Clearly this wasn't right, and judging by the threads on here at times, I knew I had to rush back and report this to everyone! Clearly the world is about to end, possibly sooner than 2012.
So the guys on the other Harleys didn't wave first...and neither did you. Maybe you're the guy who isn't waving?

I was in Mississippi recently and was surprised that almost nobody waved - here it gets old because every 4th car is a motorcycle and you wave all day long.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts
Default country wave

I used to wave to everyone, but now there are too many bikes,so I usually don't wave in city, too much going on. On two lane I wave, if no return I think they either have a good reason, or are a jerk. I don't take it personal. Now that I sold my Vulcan 750 I am curiois if I get more Harley waves on my FLHTCUI.!

Quick Reply: Went for my first ride this weekend and something disturbing happened.