The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went for my first ride this weekend and something disturbing happened.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:18 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
This is great news. I was out yesterday and passed a LOT of bikes and got one wave. I was going to start a thread to say "Stop the wave!", looks like it's hapening. The wave is distracting, we see each other, I know you're there, don't need to wave at you and wait for you to wave back at me. Let the wave die.
Hey, where can I get a left-handed Harley for myself?

Old 04-11-2011, 12:35 PM
SodFather
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its funny before I started riding, it seemed like everytime I saw 2 bikes traveling in opposite directions they would wave. Now that I ride, seems like I rarely see waves.I always thought bikes were like classic cars, if 2 old car guys see each other they tend to reconise ea others work and share the bond of love of classic cars. But guess times change. But at the end of the day I dont really really care if people wave at me or not, Im out riding just like they are enjoying my time.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:07 PM
BBBSS
Cruiser

This threads been entertaining. I felt left out not making my own thread about waving. Seems everyone else had one. lol

I sometimes do the wave first, sometimes I wave back, sometimes I even ignore a wave for whatever reason it may be. I don't think its a big deal at all. Everyone has their own rhyme or reason to the wave. In the city if I waved to everyone I'd be riding around like this.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:43 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Hey, where can I get a left-handed Harley for myself?
I took that picture after smoking some left handed cigarettes.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bike-R-Mike
Maybe if some of us Harley riders wheren't so busy trying to be cool and wait for the "other" guy to wave first , we wouldn't come off as looking like such snobs . It's tridition . I won't wave if my situation dictates that I need both hands on the bars and a wave would be dangerous . But most of the time this is not the case and I do wave . If you can't take one hand off for a couple of seconds for fear of loosing control then maybe you need some riding lessons , or some ***** .

EXACTLY RIGHT!! I will continue to wave at everything on two wheels (high intensity events such as Sturgis, filled with the biker brotherhood, excepted). The end of waving means we're just like the sad people driving cages or riding the bus..no more than a way of getting from point A to point B. Riding a bike is fun....transportation is just....transportation.

And you know, maybe I just live in a friendlier part of the country, but I very seldom don't get a wave back, from HA, sportbikes, scooters, and everybody in between.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 PM
bp_shooter123
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out here in the rural areas its common for even the folks in cars and trucks to wave at each other. When I was a kid it was taken for granted that if a person didn't return your wave then they were probably from the city or up north somewhere.

Michael

Old 04-11-2011, 10:50 PM
vtwinhd59
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wave 90 percent of the time as long as it's not dangerous to do so. Why not wave? It feels good to wave. Put you hand out and down for a few seconds, extend 2 fingers and let it all hang out. Hey buddy look I'm on a motorcycle too. Ain't it great to be us? We are having such a great time. I love being me, I love my motorcycle and I'm going to wave at you and show you how I feel. If you don't wave back I figure your angry for some reason while riding. You suck you non waver!!!!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 PM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain

Yea I seem to get more Waves driving the Kids Jeep then I do on the Bike . and I know I riding the Ugly StepChild but hey it's still a Harley and on 2 wheels.

I still wave (taught from oldschoolers back in the day) and still will if your on 2 wheels you'll get the 2 finger drop off the bars from me as long as I'm not pulling the clutch.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I was taught from old scoolers to wave. I have books from early bike days and the founders of Harley-Davidson are quoted as saying to wave to riders whether they are on Harley-Davidsons or not. That's good enough for me. I usually only wave to bike cops in town, but return any in town. On the open road wave at any bike. Ran errands in town today and only wave came from a Victory. Passed HD's and sportbikes. Get waves from sportbikes and HD's when on the White Lightning.

Last edited by Harleyboyddk; 04-11-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:53 PM
hucks 08
Road Captain

it was alot diff when there wasnt as many bikes on the road ,now every tom dick and harry has one,i dont wave too often and i really dont care ,im out for a ride not a wave.

Quick Reply: Went for my first ride this weekend and something disturbing happened.