The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went for my first ride this weekend and something disturbing happened.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 07:36 AM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sport bikes are friendly, jap bikes are friendly, scooters wave vigorously...

About the only riders that don't wave, or return a wave in my area are the pirate garbed, **** helmeted, leather studded, self proclaimed bad **** posers that are so focused on the fashion/image aspects of motorcycling that they're afraid to take a hand off the bars. Cracks me up.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:44 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,779 Likes on 802 Posts

Sometimes I get waves, sometimes not. Probably 50% of the time I initiate it. Majority of waves come from non-Harley brands and Harley tourers.

What gets me is a good majority of Harley riders I pass look so damned pissed off. I guess gotta have the bad-*** biker 'tude going on. I don't get it; I can't keep from grinnin' while I'm ridin'!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waved to 3 10speed bicyclers, 2 scooters, 1 Spider, 4 trikes, several crotch rockets and HD's yesterdays. The only ones out of all those too stuffed up with their own chit were on HD's.
Must be the "attitude" in it's glory...or maybe the "If i have to explain...." groupie mentality?
Either way, it matters not. I was ridin and lovin it.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:50 AM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

People in the army/air force don't wave up here. I guess when I ride by with my half helmet they can't see out of their peripherals with all of their expensive full faces on.. I get the "It's cold as hell out, why are you wearing a half helmet?" lecture all the time.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:51 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

we need rules...lots of rules. an AMA wave, helmet wearer wave, passenger wave, loud pipe wave, chrome ***** wave, etc.. your wave can tell others about you. might as well start a club-get a road captain to enforce waves. and of course an old timers wave for bikers with minimum of 20 years riding time.

and for posers: tour pins, badges, patches and rockers...all available for a small fee from your local HOG chapter. the moco is missing a cash cow here-for $20 at the time of purchase you can be taught the correct wave. hmmm, think i will call my lawer later today and see if he thinks i should get a patent on waving. i could then charge a small fee for every wave or sell yearly permits for unlimited waves.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:52 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I only wave at every 3rd bike just to throw em off and keep them wondering.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:58 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back in the 60's and 70's waving was an acknowledgement between two riders who shared a common interest in traveling by motorbike... today that commonality is a thing of the past with the posers, bike owners who don't ride or can't ride any further than the local bar, or who trailer their bikes from event to event in order to sit outside with a beer in their hands. I still wave... usually first... and could care less if you wave back. The riding brother WILL wave back or even first. Just one old rider who's living the life...

Old 04-11-2011, 07:59 AM
taz ride
Road Master

Just don`t care . Whatever...

Old 04-11-2011, 08:08 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just wonder how many "wave" threads there are in the archives.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I only wave at every 3rd bike just to throw em off and keep them wondering.
Sometimes I'll take my hand off the grip like I'm gonna wave, and adjust my helmet instead. Really screws with people. Funny watching them try to recover from an almost wave.

Quick Reply: Went for my first ride this weekend and something disturbing happened.