The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sign Etiquette In Groups?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:31 AM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Stop Sign Etiquette In Groups?

I've always wondered: When riding in groups, is it legal to all proceed through a stop sign together as long as the first bike stops and goes on their turn? I know it's done but does anyone know the actual vehicle code, specifically in California? Nothing on the DMV website so far. I know most people, including me, do all go through as a unit. The best i've found so far (i lost the link so im going from memory) stated that basically a group of bikers is like a funeral procession where all vehicles in the group have the right to proceed as long as the front vehicle stops and makes sure the intersection is clear- this is in Florida.

I know it's acceptable and done all the time, but i wonder if a cop could cite everyone if they really wanted to.

I'm assuming the less riders you have, the less lenient the law is on this. For example, if you had 3 riders in a group and 2 ahead stopped and went, but the 3rd rider was a couple of seconds behind, he couldn't blast through the stop sign to catch up.

Does anyone have any insight on this topic or know what the actual law or rules of the road indicate?

Old 04-10-2011, 11:39 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

It's illegal in every state. All motorists including motorcycles are required to follow all traffic rules.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:50 AM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

Well now, what part of STOP don't you understand???

Old 04-10-2011, 11:56 AM
USMC2010
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

I have done many USMC group rides in California with CHP and SB county riders participating. All traffic rules apply.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

It is illeagal....
Butt when we ride in a good size group....The two in front stop, Two road guards are sent out and everyone rides thru....
If we did not do this, the pack would strung out all, and cages would sneaking into the formation...

Old 04-10-2011, 12:24 PM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

When we have three or four bikes we usually all shoot through together. I always give a little thanks nod or wave to any cars that are stopped and allow us through. If you have a large group you'll usually have to have a blocker out there to stop the cars from breaking in. Buts it's less dangerous to do that than to have cars in the middle of the bikes. The drivers just tend to get real nervous anyway with a lot of bikes in front of and behind them.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:26 PM
USMC2010
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

On our rides with CHP and SB county they would sometimes run intersection blocking with there lights on but they also said that it wasn't legal for us to do it on our own.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:07 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah i agree, definitely a lot safer to be one big unit and not let a bunch of cars into the pack, i just wondered what Johnny Law thought.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by emerican19
Yeah i agree, definitely a lot safer to be one big unit and not let a bunch of cars into the pack, i just wondered what Johnny Law thought.
I was part of a run last summer where a couple of intersections were blocked while the pack got out of town and an IL State trooper pulled the WHOLE pack over just outside the city limits. Two of the guys who organized the ride got tickets. Safety of the riders was not a consideration, it's all about obeying the law.

Hope that answers your question.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Greg755
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The two in front stop, Two road guards are sent out and everyone rides thru....
If we did not do this, the pack would strung out all, and cages would sneaking into the formation
In NY it is illegal to direct traffic unless you are a cop, fire fighter, city road crew etc etc.

They wont bother you if it is an emergency like a traffic accident, but they will ticket you if you stand out there (road guards) and direct traffic.

And a stop means Stop... not a CA "rolling stop"...
I got the tickets.. NY sucks....

Quick Reply: Stop Sign Etiquette In Groups?