The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sign Etiquette In Groups?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 06:02 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,196 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by emerican19
i'm surprised at the differences of opinion. i thought everyone would be all for "keeping the pack tight".
You opened the thread asking what was "legal"...you even put the word "legal" in bold letters to make your question clear.

The desire to "keep the pack tight" is irrelevant to "legal".

As you can see by some of the replies to this post....some people that participated in group rides...and organized it so that some blockers went out to halt traffic so that the pack could ride through together.....a cranky cop saw it and they got tickets. And I'm sure some cops in a good mood...if they saw it, and were partial to bikers...they'd let it slide.

Still..."legal" or not...has been made clear.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

...stated that basically a group of bikers is like a funeral procession where all vehicles in the group have the right to proceed as long as the front vehicle stops and makes sure the intersection is clear- this is in Florida.

Does anyone have any insight on this topic or know what the actual law or rules of the road indicate?
Florida statute 316.123 is a bout stop signs and traffic control devices. There are no exemptions listed in this statute.

Florida statute 316.1974 is for funeral processions, and their rights and duties. Exemption for stopping....

There are no other exemptions. Everyone must stop or get a ticket if caught....

However, I have gone thru when riding with a group.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:41 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansasfk
I don't know who you ride with dude, or where you ride, but you keep the pack together. What, you're gonna let cars get in between everybody and then try to form back up around them? You need to keep riding around cones.
I ride around cones when I want to... I ride solo when I want to, and i lead groups when I want to...
the question was is it LEGAL.... not do you do it.
Any one who "blocks" knows full well they are breaking the law, and they accept the consequences for their actions....

If riding your bike among cars scares you so badly, maybe you might want to rethink owning a bike....

Old 04-11-2011, 03:56 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No...it is not legal to run a stop sign/signal.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:17 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have any insight on this topic or know what the actual law or rules of the road indicate?
Geezus, he didn't ask how you felt about it he asked about the the actual laws.

V C Section 22450 Stop Requirements
Stop Requirements
22450. (a) The driver of any vehicle approaching a stop sign at the entrance to, or within, an intersection shall stop at a limit line, if marked, otherwise before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection.
If there is no limit line or crosswalk, the driver shall stop at the entrance to the intersecting roadway .
Amended Sec. 8, Ch. 630, Stats. 2007. Effective January 1, 2008.

Entering Intersection, Rail Crossing, or Marked Crosswalk
22526. (a) Notwithstanding any official traffic control signal indication to proceed, a driver of a vehicle shall not enter an intersection or marked crosswalk unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection or marked crosswalk to accommodate the vehicle driven without obstructing the through passage of vehicles from either side.

The second one is an anti-gridlock law.

Could they cite all the riders if they wanted to? You bet your azz they could. For both of the above. The gridlock aspect comes in because the "group" is blocking the flow of traffic from other directions by not stopping at the sign.

Originally Posted by kansasfx
I don't know, nor do I care if it's legal. We all go through. Always have, even with cops right there, and they've never done a thing.
Wow hope I get to be a real "biker" like you when I grow up. FFS, just because they didn't do anything doesn't mean they can't I would imagine you would the 1st one to cry if a cager blew through a stop sign with his "group" following him. Cuz everyone knows it's always the cagers that are wrong. I don't use cones before you say anything, I use 1/2 tennis *****.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Kansasfk
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BBStacker
Geezus, he didn't ask how you felt about it he asked about the the actual laws.

Wow hope I get to be a real "biker" like you when I grow up. FFS, just because they didn't do anything doesn't mean they can't I would imagine you would the 1st one to cry if a cager blew through a stop sign with his "group" following him. Cuz everyone knows it's always the cagers that are wrong. I don't use cones before you say anything, I use 1/2 tennis *****.
Well I want to grow up to be an **** retentive, lecture giving, holier than thou hall monitor like you Mr. internet. Be careful with those tennis *****, they could hit you in the eye while pulling them out of your ***.

Last edited by Kansasfk; 04-11-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:20 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

yes BB, that's what i was looking for. not "what do you think is legal" but does anyone actually know what the law or traffic ordinance is. not "i think it's cool to blast stop signs", or "no dummy stop means stop"

Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes BB, that's what i was looking for. not "what do you think is legal" but does anyone actually know what the law or traffic ordinance is. not "i think it's cool to blast stop signs", or "no dummy stop means stop"
Actually what I put in my answer was the California Vehicle Code defining both Failure to Stop @ Stop sign ($154 fine + 1 point on your driving record) and the Gridlock law ($200 fine). So what $354. But what do I know? I only wrote a few hundred or so in my time. If your cool with LEO you probably might skate on an individual basis.

It's the fools that say don't know, don't care that definitely will get a ticket scratched out. Ride safe.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Kansasfk
Banned

Originally Posted by BBStacker
Actually what I put in my answer was the California Vehicle Code defining both Failure to Stop @ Stop sign ($154 fine + 1 point on your driving record) and the Gridlock law ($200 fine). So what $354. But what do I know? I only wrote a few hundred or so in my time. If your cool with LEO you probably might skate on an individual basis.

It's the fools that say don't know, don't care that definitely will get a ticket scratched out. Ride safe.
What a surprise!

Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Old Sorrel
Road Captain

I thought you had to, or could, get a parade permit for large events. And if it's for charity, LEO's usually do the blocking. We have employed the blocking tactic informally on occasion, but only with about 15 or so bikes, so people really are not inconvenienced. But yeah, it's technically illegal.

Quick Reply: Stop Sign Etiquette In Groups?