The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Patch -- Need Serious Answer

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:07 AM
cigarowens
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotech
X2

And this is the first time I've heard that the MC patch is the third part of a three part patch. I always thought the center patch, the top rocker and the bottom rocker made up a 3PP and the MC in a square was an additional patch...

Old 09-19-2011, 08:20 AM
Aviel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue SOG
The Messiah, Jesus of Nazareth.
Please clarify the meaning of your patch. The clubs name is Sons of God yet you have a picture of a man in the center? Please forgive my ignorance.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 AM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Used to be a free country...

No one and I mean no one could be offended by the OP's diddly doo on the back. Having said that, why they heck do you even need some sort of patch? Why not be creative, do something completely different on your back? There's a bunch of Christian clubs that show up at Sac Harley when the shop puts on a shindig. Seems really strange to me -- a born-again of a sort -- that a so-called Christian group would want to look even remotely like an Mc club, but,hey I ride by myself and that works for me and YMMV...

Old 09-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aviel
Please clarify the meaning of your patch. The clubs name is Sons of God yet you have a picture of a man in the center? Please forgive my ignorance.
check out our website... it's in my sig

Old 09-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bjewell
Used to be a free country...

...There's a bunch of Christian clubs that show up at Sac Harley when the shop puts on a shindig. Seems really strange to me -- a born-again of a sort -- that a so-called Christian group would want to look even remotely like an Mc club, but,hey I ride by myself and that works for me and YMMV...
You must have a distorted view of Motorcycle Clubs. It's a club... just like any other... that centers around motorcycles and the love thereof. Therefore, we look like what we are... a Motorcycle Club.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ya man. Put ministries on it and I don't think you will have a problem

Old 09-19-2011, 10:25 AM
midcitysaint
Advanced

I’m a Christian and I’m a 3 piece patch holder so I’ll do the best I can in giving advice. Most of what I have to say has already been said here. The first thing I’d do is ask myself, why do I want to wear a patch? If it’s to minister to other bikers because you feel like it is a calling, then I strongly suggest exploring your area for an established Motorcycle Ministry that has already laid out the groundwork for you or contacting one in your state and discussing potentially opening a chapter in your area. Motorcycle Ministries have certain expectations and responsibilities they take on in the MC world. Some of it has been discussed such as ministering to other bikers, acting as chaplains on occasion, praying for others in the lifestyle, lending a friendly ear and maybe a little counseling, etc. They also don’t do things like get drunk in the local bar, get in fights, get between clubs and their business, etc. They follow and are expected to follow a pretty strict code of ethics.

If you are just a group of buddies wanting to ride around and display your love for each other and riding, I feel you on that. All MCs and patch holders are doing the same thing to one extent or another and so I know firsthand how important how that can be. The advice of starting an RC or even joining and established RC might be better. Just think of the benefits joining another RC will get you guys, exposure to new people, new places and maybe you can glean some experience from other riders, it can be a lot of fun and the best thing is your responsibilities and expectations are very, very minimal compared to those of an MC or even an MM. The Southern Cruisers might be a good start as they seem to get the concept of the MC culture and do a pretty good job at keeping their nose clean from what I’ve seen and heard. The ones I’ve met seem like pretty nice guys for the most part.

Creating a new RC might require a visit to your local COC just to keep on good terms. Basically you are not simply “asking permission” as much as informing them of whom you are, what you stand for, why you are forming an organization, etc. They may suggest changes to your patch, your organization or send you packing with some suggestions on revisiting your original idea. There is a reason behind all of this and believe it or not most of it is for your own protection in some way or another.

First, the established or dominant club in your area acts almost as a police force in the MC world, they baseline a “norm” which prevents anarchy from prevailing. They also can act as a go between for different clubs to settle matters in a non-violent manner which would bring undue attention to all MCs. Which bring s me to the second reason why visiting the dominant club or COC is a good idea; it introduces you to other clubs and clearly establishes your identity and where you fit in. It keeps suspicion down and smoothes over any hard feelings that may arise if you decide to organize without telling anyone. Their club did it and they feel yours should too. The dominate club protects the culture from being watered down with wannabes and fly by night groups who half heartedly sew patches on their back in order to “look cool”. There is a distinct culture which must be protected, respected and understood by those in it.

Lastly the “undue attention” I mentioned above is a paramount concern. Basically anything that gives bad press to a motorcycle club affects all bikers in terms of criminal enforcement, legislation and just negative general public perception. Members of the COC and various political action groups work very hard, spend millions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of man hours lobbying for favorable legislation and to keep the cops honest when dealing with us. One screwball group can bring heat on everyone because let’s face it the public doesn’t discriminate between the different clubs, a “biker” is a “biker” to them and a dominate club keeps this kind of crap in check. Just so you understand, clubs tend to be much more politically involved than independents and with good reason. They wouldn’t appreciate people who might look like them (in the public’s eyes) unraveling their hard work.

You should also understand that the dominate club in your area fought hard and earned their place to be the dominate club in your state. For some they paid in blood and they take it very, very seriously and they should. You are simply showing respect by approaching them with your idea first. Yes it’s a free country and yes you should be able to wear whatever you want wherever you want whenever you want, but God gave you discernment and common sense too. You don’t enter a subculture without respecting their values and customs without some pushback but I don’t think that is your intention so I’m just trying to illustrate a point here (I think your motivation is honest).

I think it’s great that you have a group of guys that you have the honor and pleasure to ride with and I encourage you guys to do what you love to do, just do it smart. Be innocent as lambs and wise as serpents.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:29 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Sorry, but even if it's a church club, that has to be the gayest patch I've ever seen. No offense but it almost makes me sick. The white and pink, and Chrome & Leather?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Aviel
Advanced

You need to contact the COC for your state. I'm in the process of organizing a 3PP Messianic MC since none are in existence. Currently I have approval from the Georgia COC regarding my two piece design and threads. They informed me to speak to the local club in my area for clarification of intent. I'll be posting a thread on the complete process once we receive bottom rocker and the cube.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:23 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

Yeah, that does look gay. Might not want to present that image to the public. That would catch my eye, which you might consider "unwanted attention" and you would be confronted about it. I am looking at 3 piece patch. 1...2...3. I can count. Oh yeah, beside all other considerations tell the cops you are a christian club when you are on the road side at gunpoint having your saddlebags gone through and see how they care. One piece and keep MC off of it. Then you are riding club. We don't care about those.

Quick Reply: Back Patch -- Need Serious Answer