The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Patch -- Need Serious Answer

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have to ask, its probably an issue. I read threads like this pretty frequently on here. Then again, if your faith is that strong, why ask?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:46 PM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yljkt
Then again, if your faith is that strong, why ask?
Because I want to avoid problems and be respectful to the protocol of the biker clubs and culture. My faith (and my aim) are just fine, thanks.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:57 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,758 Likes on 799 Posts

If you want to avoid problems and be respectful, why put yourself in a position where you have to ask?

"We kinda wanna sorta look like an MC, but we don't want any trouble..."

Old 03-15-2011, 08:07 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPS1981
Because I want to avoid problems and be respectful to the protocol of the biker clubs and culture. My faith (and my aim) are just fine, thanks.
Then go for it. What could happen? I would love to be so secure in my knowledge that my faith would preclude any questions. I haven't seen it yet, but there"s no time like the present. No offence intended. Ride on.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:10 PM
purevil71
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotech
X2

And this is the first time I've heard that the MC patch is the third part of a three part patch. I always thought the center patch, the top rocker and the bottom rocker made up a 3PP and the MC in a square was an additional patch...

This is what I've always been told. If your not claiming territory on the bottom patch, it's really just a two piece patch, or so I've heard.

Are you a Christian oriented club that plans on using motorcycling as a tool to spread God's word, or do you just happen to be Christians from the same church that like to ride together? If your the latter, I'd change it to Motorcycle Ministry, that way people will understand what's going on when you start witnessing to them. You could look at clubs like the UnChained Gang and such to get an idea of what their patches look like.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:01 PM
drbald1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Protocol would have you remove the bottom rocker and add M/M (for Motorcycle Ministry) to your center logo.

This does a couple of things:
1. It makes very clear you have no interest in portraying yourselves as something you're not (an MC).

2. It makes very clear that you respect those in the lifestyle for whom the 3pp is a serious tradition (just like the military vets take the traditions they've earned seriously, so do bikers who work hard for their lifestyle). Not quite the same thing, but close.

3. It makes very clear what you are: a group out to help the brotherhood, honoring both your faith and their culture. It's "in the world, not of it" kinda living.

You've gotten some really good advice here. May I suggest a link that might help in navigating the MC culture?

http://www.bikersforchrist.org/clubprotocol.htm

Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 PM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you to all who expressed an opinion on the patch, for or against. That's the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

To those who couldn't resist passing judgment on whether someone should even want to wear such a patch, you're entitled to your opinion.

I'm a middle-aged, middle-class husband and father who likes to ride motorcycles. I don't claim to know anything about the outlaw/1% biker culture. Everything I know about outlaw bikers and patches I learned from watching Wild Hogs and from reading this forum. Sometimes it's hard to separate myth from reality when it comes to this stuff, and I was just looking for some direction.

I am not necessarily in favor of ANY patch. I think I made it clear in the original post that the patch was someone else's idea, and before he takes it too far, I want to make sure he's not causing a problem for himself or anyone else.

Anyway, thanks again for the helpful feedback.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:13 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An honest opinion.....

Put it all in one single patch and put RC on it.

Once you have seperate patches, the word "Motorcycle Club" or an "MC" patch and ride a Harley...you're in MC world like it or not. A trip to the confederation is in order, permission from your dominate mc in your state is in order ect...

Single Patch RC's are safe 100% from MC Club world protocol.

Enjoy your new riding group and rack those miles up...

Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 piece patch and no one gives you a 2nd look. 2 piece patch whether or not it has MC will get you a 2nd look. 3 piece patch enters you into another world...

Old 03-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Sprtstr1200
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUCKETASS
Put it all in one single patch and put RC on it.

+1 on that.

Motorcycle Ministry's from my experience are very active in the MC lifestyle. In this area they participate in COC's as chaplains, do bike blessings, come to the hospital when a patch holder goes down (regardless of the club) and are held in high regard for being so involved in MC culture.

But these MM's here have followed proper MC protocol to establish their ministry with the intentions of being fully involved in our world and to fulfill their goal of ministering to the biker community.

If your group is just going to be a group of riders who all happen to go the same church together then make it an RC. If your planning on being involved in the MC culture in your area and attending events and participating with the COC, etc. then you should go MM but in my opinion that would entail following traditional MC protocol to establish that.

Again, that's just my opinion based on my previous personal experiences with MM's here.

Quick Reply: Back Patch -- Need Serious Answer