The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Assless Chaps....When?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:07 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Bored to death at work, reading all over the forums to pass the time. Was reading funny comments about assless chaps when it occurred to me that I had no idea when these began to appear in the general riding community. Anybody recollect? Surely it didnt start with the Village People.
Wikipedia says: "Leather chaps, adapted from cowboy gear, were used by American bikers starting in the early 1960s."

Old 01-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never really considered them until one year on my way to Bike Week in Daytona. It was 30 degrees and my uncle who has ridden forever let me use a pair he had. Night and day difference. They really work to block the cold. They have a function and serve a purpose. I'm not trying to make a fasion statement one way or the other when I ride so I really don't care what people think of them. Like some others have posted they make the cold much more tolerable.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:42 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i get the cold is more tolerable with chaps, but why not leather pants, or a pair of black winter riding pants if you must? chaps work for people on horseback because it's made to block thorns and branches,. and when i ride my thighs and calves are the last thing to get cold, my *** and ***** are typically the coldest. i just don't get them, i think chaps are largely useless and only worn for nostalgia's sake.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:45 PM
glideride113
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone stated earlier, I own a horse facility, I have been trainig horses since 1980 and riding H-D's since 1977. I purchased chaps and coat right after I began my clubbing life, still have and wear the same set, My horse freinds still make fun of me wearing Willie G. chaps while riding horses, but they will save you legs, brushing up against trees,fence post ect. not to mention getting a better leg grip on the horse.Likewise on my harley, they also help with leg grip while making hard turns, as well as soften the blow from flying debree ect.Just my 2 cents worth, anybody got any change.....

Old 01-27-2011, 02:52 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,535 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
i get the cold is more tolerable with chaps, but why not leather pants, or a pair of black winter riding pants if you must? chaps work for people on horseback because it's made to block thorns and branches,. and when i ride my thighs and calves are the last thing to get cold, my *** and ***** are typically the coldest. i just don't get them, i think chaps are largely useless and only worn for nostalgia's sake.
Biggest advantage is they come off in seconds so you can hang out in the bar in jeans. Go anywhere on your bike, zip off the chaps & hang out for hours without sweating to death. Now whats more gay to you, chaps on a bike or a man drinking beer in leather pants

Old 01-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
They are easier to get in and out of. The leather is not coming into contact with your skin like pants would be. All I can say is they work for me. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:00 PM
DeD Fred
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been riding my entire life.
I know they didnt wear them in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. After that everything is a bit fuzzy.

I think the cowboys quit wearing them after the Village People came out, and from there, who knows how RUBS ended up with them.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
Now whats more gay to you, chaps on a bike or a man drinking beer in leather pants
Either one will do (wink wink)

Last edited by Buckinfitch; 01-27-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:02 PM
DMacLeod
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to laugh at this, assless chaps....I guess if ya only ride in 60+ degrees on the way to the nearest Starbucks they would be useless.

Take a long road trip and you may be very glad they are bungie corded on. Especially if rain turns up or it gets cold. Leather pants on the other hand Atleast with chaps unzip the legs,undo the belt and store em. No need to be stuck in leather pants when ya get to the bar.

If you are wearing leather pants do ya have jeans under them ?

Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Plasteredcat
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this crew does not wear *** less chaps

Quick Reply: Assless Chaps....When?