The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes Flip Flops and Tee Shirts

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:46 AM
pgpn
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my bike had loud pipes on when I bought it. They popped when I would shift.no one could fix this.I found some stock pipes for cheap and put them on to see if that would solve the problem. no more popping and those long straight freeway runs are better on my ears. I have noticed I hear cars/tire whine along side more than before FWIW.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 634 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by pgpn
my bike had loud pipes on when I bought it. They popped when I would shift.no one could fix this.I found some stock pipes for cheap and put them on to see if that would solve the problem. no more popping and those long straight freeway runs are better on my ears. I have noticed I hear cars/tire whine along side more than before FWIW.
Free flowing (loud) pipes sometimes allow fresh air to get into the exhaust system and mix with the unburnt fuel. This results in the popping you hear.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:57 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

When all is said and done - loud vs quiet, helmet vs no helmet, flip flops vs sneakers vs boots - it's personal choice.

But, there's only two type of riders.

Those that have been down on a bike and those that will be going down on a bike..

Enough said..

Old 01-14-2011, 10:47 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

What is your ride? Perhaps the previous owner put on free flowing pipes and did not re-jet carb. That would explain the popping. Free flowing pipes require the fuel mixture to be tweeked. How about we turn this into a technical thread instead of the loud pipes and flipflops BS???? LOL

Old 01-16-2011, 08:32 AM
pgpn
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rh8234
What is your ride? Perhaps the previous owner put on free flowing pipes and did not re-jet carb. That would explain the popping. Free flowing pipes require the fuel mixture to be tweeked. How about we turn this into a technical thread instead of the loud pipes and flipflops BS???? LOL
01 roadking carbed. I had it on a dyno at an indy and he rejetted to what he said was the max. didnt help.I dont know the brand but they were open enough that the left pipe was clean inside.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:55 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rossn2
When all is said and done - loud vs quiet, helmet vs no helmet, flip flops vs sneakers vs boots - it's personal choice.

But, there's only two type of riders.

Those that have been down on a bike and those that will be going down on a bike..

Enough said..
And only 2 types of passengers, those that have been down on me, and those who are going to go down on me! <eg>

Old 01-16-2011, 03:33 PM
DRL1950
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have relatively loud pipes because I like them, no other reason.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:29 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

01 roadking carbed. I had it on a dyno at an indy and he rejetted to what he said was the max. didnt help.I dont know the brand but they were open enough that the left pipe was clean inside.
Check the spark plugs for color. Dark and sooty indicates a too rich mixture. White indicates a too lean mixture. If plugs are slightly tanish - mixture should be okay.
Check for intake leaks where carb attaches to manifold and between manifold and head. Also check for exhause leaks where pipes attach to head and where mufflers attach to pipes. Intake or exhaust leaks can cause popping.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:20 AM
maryland blackout
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98fat
I ride naked, when combined with the loud pipes I think that really helps me be saferrrr than clothed and quiet.
It's true. Nothing will make you more visible to other motorists than roaring naked down the highway with a cop following you with full lights and siren

Old 01-19-2011, 08:26 AM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,370 Likes on 2,184 Posts

Originally Posted by jimsflh
And only 2 types of passengers, those that have been down on me, and those who are going to go down on me! <eg>

LMAO......jus be careful with that if ya give your mom or sister a ride!!!