The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes Flip Flops and Tee Shirts

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 03:15 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNoser
Can someone in a place where you can ride ( we are buried in snow here)do this experiment
-Find a rural road with an intersection.
-Determine the point where you couldn't stop if a car pulled out in front of you
-Now put someone in your car and sit at the intersection turn on the radio and air conditioning, carry on a normal conversation, but have the passenger blindfolded.
-Get a bike to ride by and see if the blindfolded person hears it before the bike enters the collision zone.
-Just my opinion but this would be definitve proof that loud pipes save lives.
This experiment would also be cool on the interstate with a bike coming behind you.

Careful though the LEO's might think the blindfolded person is being kidnapped.LOL

and like I keep saying to each his own, I am not a member of the loud pipe police,
Just trying to make this long winter a little funner by reading this forum.
That's where the airhorn comes in! I'm not afraid to give a couple short blasts when approching an intersection, or a long loud one if some cell phone talking moron starts drifting in my lane, and by the look on their faces, they have to go home and check their skivies for tobacco stains, so it's well worth it!

Old 01-13-2011, 03:28 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If the cattle/sheep in my area Cannot see or hear a big red truck with twinklies, airhorns and sirens and air Qs.

I consider myself totally invisible while riding my motor

Old 01-13-2011, 04:03 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I disagree. They hear the sirens and horns but most of the time have no idea where it is coming from. I see them looking everywhere and I see the stupid look on their faces when they finally look in their rear view mirror. I always watch the dumb asses to see if I can tell when they heard us and when they finally seen us. I also see the ones who ignore us or pretend to ignore us. People are stupid and they act stupid but most of them hear the sirens and horns. I don't think they see the truck or lights unless it is at night till we are right on top of them.
Originally Posted by firefighter616
If the cattle/sheep in my area Cannot see or hear a big red truck with twinklies, airhorns and sirens and air Qs.

I consider myself totally invisible while riding my motor

Old 01-13-2011, 04:17 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
I disagree. They hear the sirens and horns but most of the time have no idea where it is coming from. I see them looking everywhere and I see the stupid look on their faces when they finally look in their rear view mirror. I always watch the dumb asses to see if I can tell when they heard us and when they finally seen us. I also see the ones who ignore us or pretend to ignore us. People are stupid and they act stupid but most of them hear the sirens and horns. I don't think they see the truck or lights unless it is at night till we are right on top of them.

I agree with you, but I'm darn well pretty jaded and opinionated about the whole thing.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I like loud pipes because they sound good, although less so as I get older.

I wear boots or occasionally tennis shoes because I think flip-flops on a biker look about as manly as a halter top or thong would.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:22 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only have loud pipes to **** off the HDF members that don't have them. That's the only reason.
well...that and they can save lives..
I HAVE THEM BECAUSE I WANTED THEM. I like them. I think a Harley should be able to give a loud rumble. It should roar...not ...purr. Kitties purr.
Gonna go see how many more loud pipes save lives threads got started in the last ten minutes...

Old 01-14-2011, 02:34 AM
Evil
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNoser
Can someone in a place where you can ride ( we are buried in snow here)do this experiment
-Find a rural road with an intersection.
-Determine the point where you couldn't stop if a car pulled out in front of you
-Now put someone in your car and sit at the intersection turn on the radio and air conditioning, carry on a normal conversation, but have the passenger blindfolded.
-Get a bike to ride by and see if the blindfolded person hears it before the bike enters the collision zone.
-Just my opinion but this would be definitve proof that loud pipes save lives.
This experiment would also be cool on the interstate with a bike coming behind you.

Careful though the LEO's might think the blindfolded person is being kidnapped.LOL

and like I keep saying to each his own, I am not a member of the loud pipe police,
Just trying to make this long winter a little funner by reading this forum.
Interesting, Speed enters into the equation. Most LEO's will tell you that they actually outrun the sound of the siren at a certain speed. Most people with the windows up - stereo blasting and maybe alcohol will not hear you let alone know which way you are coming from.

Now with the loud pipes I have them, love the rumble and in town the blip of the throttle does attract attention. BUT, where I find them the most useful is on the backroads. I ride in the NW and over the years have watched deer running away from me as I approach, Nice! To each his own. Wear what you want and remember there are those who have fallen and those who will fall. Pipe question will be solved by the politicians anyway, sooner or later.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:15 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
True everywhere - I used to call it "blue light freakout" and we'd try to get through traffic without using lights in emergencies because the lights would lock it up and we'd be stuck waiting for some dumbass to think about how to get out of the way. I actually pulled over one woman for blocking the fire truck, after the FD got around and I followed her a few miles with my lights and siren on - she was stone cold sober, but had no idea she was supposed to stop for the lights and siren.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:19 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldn't wear flip flops on the bike ever... then again I wouldn't wear them anywhere, I like women.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
I like loud pipes because they sound good, although less so as I get older.

Same here.

When I was younger I liked loud pipes. Now, I'm less tolerant of the thunder. In fact, I'm thinking of removing my Rinehart duals and going back to stock.

Quick Reply: Loud pipes Flip Flops and Tee Shirts