The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes Flip Flops and Tee Shirts

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:57 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Only time I've read about loud pipes was on a beanie sticker

Personally, I LOVE THE F*CKING SOUND and want the power gain
afta doing all the otha stuff mentioned

Old 01-13-2011, 12:08 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't buy the loud pipes save lives argument, but I don't mind pipes that are loudish and throaty sounding, but these drag pipes that are really shrill and crackle like a popcorn machine really sound like crap. My lawn mower sounds better that that.

When it comes to pipes, its not the volume that makes them sound good, its the tone.
The crackly sounding pipes are so shrill, they **** people off and cause hearing damage, but when you get a deep throaty rumble, that sounds like power.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:37 AM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So, how many of you out there when you went to install those V&H short shots or your drag pipes were sitting there thinking "hot damn this is gonna be one safe MFer"?

Old 01-13-2011, 05:24 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNoser
QUESTION- Can you justify the pipes arguement without justifying all the other safety gear.
Why do I want to "justify" anything? I believe loud pipes make the bike more visible, but that's not why I or most people have them, so there's no reason to claim we are only riding with loud pipes for safety.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:20 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Motorbones
Loud pipes do save lives, but not as much as some claim and more than others.

Don't think anyone is saying they "always" save lives. Not sure anyone has claimed any specific amount of times they have saved lives. Most are simply saying they definately help get peoples attention, as a result, they avoid a potentially life taking accident. Then you have those claiming they simply don't save anything, which again I ask...If you claim they don't save lives, what special abilities does it take to know such?

To think that loud pipes is the only required safety measure to survive riding, I don't think so.

If anyone suggested that, they are naive and have much to learn. However, I don't recall anyone here claiming such.

Enjoy the ride...

Old 01-13-2011, 06:28 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SgtSkiddz
So, how many of you out there when you went to install those V&H short shots or your drag pipes were sitting there thinking "hot damn this is gonna be one safe MFer"?
Can't speak for others but, every time I have installed after market pipes, I have the thoughts:
- This is going to sound good
- This is going to allow more people to hear me, thus decreasing the likelyhood of possibly 1 more mindless cager pulling into me or cutting me off and yes, quite possibly killing me.
- With the additional air kit and tuning, it should improve performance.

The cool part is:
- The pipes sound good
- Fewer people cut me off or drift into my lane
- The performance is enhanced
- I'm still alive to go for another ride!

So I can say "Yes", when i install pipes I do consider that they will be louder, more will be alerted that I'm in traffic with them and ultimately I am safer for it.

Last edited by Tazzrider; 01-13-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:56 AM
BlueNoser
Tourer

Can someone in a place where you can ride ( we are buried in snow here)do this experiment
-Find a rural road with an intersection.
-Determine the point where you couldn't stop if a car pulled out in front of you
-Now put someone in your car and sit at the intersection turn on the radio and air conditioning, carry on a normal conversation, but have the passenger blindfolded.
-Get a bike to ride by and see if the blindfolded person hears it before the bike enters the collision zone.
-Just my opinion but this would be definitve proof that loud pipes save lives.
This experiment would also be cool on the interstate with a bike coming behind you.

Careful though the LEO's might think the blindfolded person is being kidnapped.LOL

and like I keep saying to each his own, I am not a member of the loud pipe police,
Just trying to make this long winter a little funner by reading this forum.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,295 Likes on 1,585 Posts

That would be a tough thing to do.

I always carry my blindfolded passengers in the trunk.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:01 PM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by xk207
Loud pipes save lives.....flip flops save boots.
++1 on this comment. I remember driving into FL 2 yrs ago and watching a guy on the interstate zip by at about 75mph wearing a muscle shirt, shorts, flip flops and sunglasses. He was on a bagger and I thought to myself....that would be alot of asphalt to dig out of flesh but I heard him coming cause he had duals on his bike. No helmet either but that's a whole different matter. Freedom of choice at it's best

Old 01-13-2011, 03:10 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorbones
Tank tops, flip-flops and shorts are OK so long as you have loud pipes and a full face helmet (see it all the time in the summer on crotch rockets!!!)...

You forgot the back pack, an essential safety item!

Quick Reply: Loud pipes Flip Flops and Tee Shirts