The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes Flip Flops and Tee Shirts

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Loud pipes saving lives is more about the freedom to mod a bike than rider safety. But don't worry. Other states will soon follow Cali's lead and ban loud pipes. Then y'all can debate the merits of boots versus flip flops.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:26 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL! I would never ride is flops, hell I don't even wear flops unless at the beach, but whatever. My XL50 has open Martin Bro's pipes and I love them, they are loud-some might say too loud, but I love them. The slip on's on my 1200C are loud, but not crazy. I'm not going to sit here and say that my loud pipes will save me from getting hit or cut off, but I do see alot of poeple look my way so they do see me. My last sport bike was not loud at all and not too many people would notice when I rode by then or next to them, but they notice my HD's. Yeah I'm bad aobut not wearing a helmet most of the time so I'm not one to talk. I have loud pipes becasue I love how they sounds and that's the only real reason-I'll admit it.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:57 AM
1996_tourglide_ultra_classic
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toypuller
It's called free choice.

and there was once a time when people didn't have to justify their free choices.
+1 brother!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:03 AM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNoser
I didn't want to hijack the current "loud Pipe" thread so here is a different twist.
Last summer in Laconia my buddy left our place (about 2 miles from Weir's) wearing flip flops on his feet and a Teeshirt, yes he was wearing pants LOL
My buddy is one of the most vocal persons I ever met for "loud pipes save lives".
I am a fan of loud pipes I have V&H true duals and big ovals.
My question is How do you Defend the Save lives part but ignore every other Save Lives part of riding.
I don't remember ever seeing a HD with loud pipes rolling down the road with a rider wearing Fullface, leather grear, reflective vest etc.
Once again to each his own and you have the right to do what you want. This is just an observation and I would like to hear your thought.
QUESTION- Can you justify the pipes arguement without justifying all the other safety gear.
Seems more like you didn't want to READ the other post. This exact approach was taken in around 1/3 of the posts in it, so nothing new here.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't care if loud pipes saves lives or not. I like my bikes to be loud and proud while I am out riding. Just like old dragsters and muscle cars back in the day. You just love the sound they make.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:31 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I like my loud pipes because I like them! When it comes to saving lives - the most important factor is AVOIDING ACCIDENTS! Full face helmets may give you some protection if you have a wreck, but they will do nothing to prevent having a wreck, They may even hinder your vision and hearing, making a wreck more likely. Flipflops will not cause you to wreck, but if you do have a wreck, you may regret wearing the flipflops. Loud pipes may make you more noticed in traffic, and may reduce your chances of a wreck, but counting on them to do so would be a mistake. Leather gear will perhaps reduce your injuries when you do have a wreck, but it does nothing to help you prevent a wreck. I frequently ride in tee shirt and tennis shoes. I never wear a helmet. All my bikes are loud. That's the way I like it!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:42 AM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loud pipes ,Kevelar thongs, steeltoed flip flops, coolman cool...! It maynot make sense what others do but we do live in the free society.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:49 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNoser
The irony is they will all say their loud pipes are for safety.
I love the sound of them but they serve no safety purpose.

I am starting a new slogan

LOUD PIPES SOOTHE LIVES
How about LOUD PIPESSOOTHE EGOS?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:59 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wear boots, period, may or may not wear chaps and leather jacket, helmet when I have to. T shirt if the weather is nice, always eye gear even with a windshield. Most of the safty gear will save me some road rash, helmet, may/may not save my gourd, loud pipes only scare old people who then run your *** over, bright lites front and year get you seen, but YOU driving like all of the sob's are out to get you will outclass all of the preceding. YOU have the responsibility to keep your own *** alive, no one else.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Motorbones
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tank tops, flip-flops and shorts are OK so long as you have loud pipes and a full face helmet (see it all the time in the summer on crotch rockets!!!)...

Quick Reply: Loud pipes Flip Flops and Tee Shirts