The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaved Heads and Goatees

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Older Biker
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shaved Heads and Goatees

Curiosity.
I have noticed a trend in recent years that more and more bikers are shaving their heads and wearing goatees.

When I started riding back in the 60's, we all wore long hair and some type of facial hair. I myself have worn a full beard ever since the 60's and still have my long pony tail, although the hair is starting to get a bit scarcer.

I know that with a shaved head, you don't have to worry as much about the wind blowing your hair, "that's why I tie my hair and beard when I ride. I also know that some bikers started shaving their heads for work, when companies started using hair for drug tests, but wearing the goatee would defeat the purpose of shaving your head. So, bottom line here, I would like to hear from people that have the shaved head and goatee to find out what the attraction is and why you personally started shaving your head.

I figure a couple of more years and I nature will remove all the hair on the top of my head, so I'll fit right in, but I don't really want to convert the beard over to a goatee and IMHO a bald head combined with a full extra long beard just doesn't look that cool.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:29 PM
cdculbertson
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from long hair to a buzz cut (a 1.5 blade...not quite shaved, though my wife calls me "bald") many years ago on a dare. Been wearing it that way ever since because I got too lazy to want to deal with hair. I wear a goatee because I look 20 years older with a full gray beard, and my wife likes the goatee better too.

FWIW, I've been sporting the buzz cut and goatee (and earring and tats for that matter) for far longer than I've been riding the Harley. Of course, now that I do ride, I suppose I look more like a poser but I really couldn't care less.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:42 PM
diesel6060
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Started shaving the head in college cause I was ahead of my time in terms of balding. Goatee hides the double chin and gives me something to comb. If I were skinny I might loose the goat but don't see that happening anytime soon.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Older Biker
Advanced

I understand wearing facial hair to make you look younger. That is one of the reasons I started wearing a beard "when I was 15 years old" and wanted to get served in bars. (We had to be 21 back then.)
I guess the popularity of wearing a goatee instead of a full beard snuck up on me cause now it seems like everyone is doing it. Personally, I hate to shave, so I just have a barber trim the tips of my beard once every 3 to 6 months. And yes, it does hide the double chin and before I got dentures, it used to help hide the lack of a full set of teeth too.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Smitty79
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to shave off my gotee for my job at a refinery that has a facial hair policy due to wearing supplied air respirators. As far as shaving my head, I just flat out hate having hair. Being bald is easy and comfortable to me. With the tats and earings thing I've had both since just after graduating highschool in the early 90's... I think I graduated...

Old 01-03-2011, 01:16 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was younger, what is now commonly referred to as a goatee used to be called a 'Van Dyke'. A goatee was just the chin hair with no mustache while the Van Dyke combined the two.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Older Biker
Advanced

Back in the day, about the only people you saw with goatees or Van Dykes were hippies at coffee houses reading stoned poetry or possible college professors, although, since I never made it to college or even high school, I can only judge the latter by what I saw in newspapers.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I have a shaved head,with a full goatee.I have had the same look since I was 18,going on 14 years now.I had it before it was the "in" thing to do.I used to get comments about it,now with everyone doing it,I don't even get looked at.Great feeling with a fresh shave and wind blowing as you cruise down the highway.The only way I get this is if I'am in a no helmet state,errrr Va laws.

Last edited by Cowboy Rob; 01-03-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:45 PM
MISFIT456
Outstanding HDF Member

I had my head shaved at a charity for a little girl who had cancer about ten years ago, thought it didn't look too bad, so I've kept it! The goat stayed because my ex wife Hated it!!!! Bwahhahhaa!!

Old 01-03-2011, 02:12 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Older Biker
Back in the day, about the only people you saw with goatees or Van Dykes were hippies at coffee houses reading stoned poetry or possible college professors, although, since I never made it to college or even high school, I can only judge the latter by what I saw in newspapers.
It's taken me a lifetime of education to learn that some of the best educations don't cost any money.

Quick Reply: Shaved Heads and Goatees