The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't sell my Sporty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:13 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron James
Hello all. I'm having an issue. I've been trying to sell my 2004 Sportster for a couple months now, but I only have it on Craigs List as well as putting word out at the local shop. While I have it listed at a steal, no one is biting. The only interest I've had are from people who basically want me to give them the bike. I was wondering if it would be worth it to post the bastard on cycle trader. Does anyone have any experience with it? I'd just like to get an idea before I pay to advertise. Thanks!
So how much do you want for it?

Miles, mods, etc...

Old 12-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Aaron James
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2004 XLC. Formerly 883, currently 1200. Vance & Hines short shots and V&H air cleaner. Burly Slammer suspension kit and Licks Cycles 10" aped z bars. 7200 +\- miles. I'm willing to let her go for $3500.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:04 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,282 Likes on 1,318 Posts

Originally Posted by last12know
don't waste time or money with cycle trader.. your email address gets out and then everyone and their brother is trying to get you to pay them to sell your bike for you or relist in in another "national advertsing forum"..lol

try your local paper.. the one here lists it until it either sells or you quit trying. i ended up trading it in... course i got fair trade in and a good price on my street glide.

have a sour taste from dealing with cycle trader... waste of time. did better with a for sale sign on it in the front yard.

just my two cents

WOW!!!! last12know's got a BOATAIL sporty!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's something you don't see every day. Very impressive (and rare).

As far as the other sporty goes, have you listed it right here on the HD forums site? How much you want for this little gem? Used Sportsters sometimes sell pretty cheap. However; 2004 was the first year for rubber mount motors so yours should be more desirable.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Aaron James
Advanced

It is now listed in the motorcycles for sale section of this forum. And right now my rock bottom price is $3500. All in all, it's a he'll of a deal for that bike.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Find an indy shop who will let you put it in their showroom, and sell it on consignment. The worst that can happen is that it's out of your way this winter.

When you run a want ad, you only reach people who are looking to buy a motorcycle that day, and as you're finding out, there are lots of people looking to take advantage of folks who are hurting for money. Classified ads sell on price. If you're not the cheapest one listed, you're wasting your time.

Put it in a motorcycle shop somewhere and everybody who comes in will see it. They'll walk around it, look at it, and imagine themselves blasting down the highway. THAT's what will make your bike sell above the minimum. Suddenly your price doesn't have to be cheap--just reasonable. If your price is that much of a smokin deal, somebody who didn't plan on buying a motorcycle will become interested.

Work out a flat fee or a percentage with the shop owner that you pay him ONCE YOU GET PAID, and resist the temptation to be stingy. The more you pay him, the harder he will work for you. Give him a reasonable amount of time. And do NOT cut a side deal while it's in his shop. While he has it, any buyer must go through him.

A strategy that's worked well for me is to give the shop owner two figures--the price I want and the lowest I will take. He gets a flat fee for selling it, but if he gets me the price I want he makes a bonus. Sometimes they'll even cut a newbie a deal on helmets and other gear in his inventory just to close the deal and get the bonus that comes with the higher price. (Would you throw in a $50 MSRP helmet if it got you $100 cash? Hell yes you would.)

You know the old saying, "sportsters are easy to buy and hard to sell". Good luck.

Last edited by Sharknose; 12-14-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron James
It is now listed in the motorcycles for sale section of this forum. And right now my rock bottom price is $3500. All in all, it's a he'll of a deal for that bike.
Damn right it's a steal of a deal! When the motor in my '93 blew I had three choices:

1. Buy a used motor - $2500+

2. Rebuild the motor - $4000+

3. Buy another bike.

I chose #3, and bought a '02 Heritage.

You may have to wait till it warms up a bit, but at that price it will sell.

When it does sell, do NOT take any kind of check without going with the buyer to his bank to cash it!

Old 12-15-2010, 09:00 AM
chevy94ss
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may not be getting very many bites due to it being winter time. If you could wait for spring you might get a better response. Not many people want to buy a bike just for it to sit all winter. Just my .02

Old 12-15-2010, 09:12 AM
nilro
Road Captain

Just a thought, if your local shop is an indy shop you might go talk to the guy and see if he will let it sit there. If it's a good indy shop there are people always looking towards those kind of places for a deal on bikes even though they don't sell.

You might have better luck than just a picture or a flyer hanging in his shop.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:36 AM
nasomi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sharknose
Find an indy shop who will let you put it in their showroom, and sell it on consignment. The worst that can happen is that it's out of your way this winter.
I went to buy a motorhome from a shop that was doing this. Let me tell you, the shop was not interested in selling me the one i was looking at. However they had many ohter models available that were theirs, and would be willing to bend over backwards to sell me one. I stopped dealing with places like that.

$3500 is a pretty good deal, however weeks away from major holidays, and the sudden freezing temps will turn many buyers away. Riding it home isn't to appealing when it's 25F out, no matter how short the distance. Wait until spring and you should be able to get another $1k easily. My 2 cents at least.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:51 PM
wuaname
Road Captain

When my friend went to sell his Sportster 1200 a few years back, the bike was 2-3 yrs old, he had bought it new, and less than 2K miles.. He just went and sold it to the dealer; end of story, he got trade in for it, but no stress of letting sit unsold, etc...

I've done that myself, I rather trade it in and not deal with the bs of having to give it away

Quick Reply: Can't sell my Sporty?