The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why accidents happen to motorcycle riders

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by duluth
Some of the riders had patches on their jackets something about geezer riders club or something.
Highlighted, bold, and underlined where the OP got the "geezer" from. Reading is fundamental when responding to posts.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:57 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,103 Likes on 355 Posts

****HIJACK****

Hey DD....those bags look great.

Now as to the OP, he was minding his own business, not road ragin' when these boneheads decided to pass and slow down. Poor ride leadership is at fault here.

I wouldn't pull over until there's room for the whole pack, or maybe at least half. But I wouldn't slow down.

But another reason to stay away from an overly large group.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:33 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rafael53
Thought the OP said he was in his truck.

I get that alot and it annoys me too. Not in groups though but just folks that pass you, get in front and then slow down....cars and motorcycles.

But, what you going to do. Pass them or backoff and chill. If we weeded everybody that's done some bone head manuvers on the road we would just have sidewalks I be thinking.
That's so odd. You're right of course he was driving his truck, I wondered why he mentioned his front bumper. I just assumed he was riding.

Ok, that changes things. when the dumb *** bikers start wedging into your lane, you simply put on the left blinker in your pickup and slowly start to move to the left lane. The bikes on your left side will have no option but to either go ahead of you or behind you, you're bigger than them. You're giving them your spot in the right lane. Then you simply pass them.

They might consider you an aggesive driver cutting them off, but you're not. You're watching them so you won't kill them, and dent your truck in the process.

Dumbasses, playing in the traffic

Old 11-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
Very very simple problem. When they first started wedging in front of you, you should back off. Let the entire pack follow the lame-o leader and get back in their formation. You don't want to be too close when one of them goes down and takes a few more with him, you'll be next. Just hang back until they get their composure, then when the coast is clear you move over a lane or two to your left, pour on a little coal, just enough to pass them at a safe speed, you dont want them to think your racing or anything. Once you're clear, take er up to about 85 for a minute or so and put some distance between you and them.

Then, carry on the way you were.

What happened was the lame-o leader saw a bike ahead, you, and thought he'd show off by taking his entire pack ahead of you.

my 2c.

My sentiments exactly!

I thought OP was on his bike too. I still agree with above and also agree that I would turn on my blinker and slowly move over to get around them.

Last edited by Gonzy; 11-19-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Adding:
Old 11-19-2010, 02:16 PM
badbobby
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have just let up and let the idiots go.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:38 PM
SoonerSoftail
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jandlcars
that is why i don't ride packs any more
Originally Posted by krusty1
My sentiments exactly, JC.
Mine too. This is exactly why I quit a good purposed, well meaning organization that I really wanted to be a part of. I just couldn't handle the way they group ride.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:21 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a group rider myself, well except for the wife and her scoot, but curious what happened once they all got in front of you and re-formed. Did the pack pull away? If so then it sounds like the lead dropped his throttle where he should have kept it "up" so the pack could re-form AS they pulled away in front of you.

Guess this is why I can't ride in packs. If I had been in the pack and saw my move was to squeeze in........I would have rolled on throttle and found myself ahead of the pack running down the left lane.

Sounds like a poor lead followed by sheeple. I often remind my wife that even though we are riding "together" she has to make her own decisions constantly.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:58 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

This thread reminds me why I don't do the group ride thing any more. One of the best ways that I know of to get in one hell of a mess!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:03 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it hard to believe that a bike or bikes would try to squeezee or cut off a truck or car. All it takes is a Driver that refuses to get forced out because he is maintaining his speed and staying in his lane.

How do you change a bike rider into road kill?

Cut off a car or truck.

The best thing to do is assume the riders were exercising poor judgement rather then having a vendetta against the driver so slow down and let them go. In the grand scheme of things the driver would not even get to his destination one minute late.

Imagine the hours and law suits if he held his ground and there was an accident, injuries, death, law suits, and you have the police or a DA that wants to pin it on the truck drivers ***.

It's not important who was right or wrong.

It quite often more important who is the bigger man.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:14 PM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobbyD
Sounds like the ride leaders didn't execute the lane change correctly. It sounds like they moved in too soon not respecting you or the remainder of their "pack".
Thats what i was thinking....The local MC I ride with follows a protocol regarding lane changes. The Front row indicates a lane change using proper hand signals. They then wait for the back row of the pack to change lanes after which the front row changes lanes and each row after follows......kinda looks like a snake driving down the road......it ensures the pack is always together and in formation.

Quick Reply: Why accidents happen to motorcycle riders