The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why accidents happen to motorcycle riders

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:39 PM
noname
Club Member
Received 989 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by jbnl163
If you are in that big of a hurry, why did you let them overtake you to begin with? Once they did, yes you are obligated to wait it out patiently until it is safe to pass. The fact you are even questioning this tells me all I need to know about riding next to you when you are in your cage.
What the hell are you talking about? The OP didn't cause any of this. The way I read it a group passed him and didn't leave themselves enough room to "reform" it was their responsibility to pass safely without interfering with ANY other traffic. If I was him I'd be pissed off too. I don't ride in groups that are organized for this very reason. I do ride in the Flood Run with thousands of other riders. But, it's a loose group and everybody is doing their own thing. We're not a big pack all together. Noname

Old 11-18-2010, 09:40 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by noname
What the hell are you talking about? The OP didn't cause any of this. The way I read it a group passed him and didn't leave themselves enough room to "reform" it was their responsibility to pass safely without interfering with ANY other traffic. If I was him I'd be pissed off too. I don't ride in groups that are organized for this very reason. I do ride in the Flood Run with thousands of other riders. But, it's a loose group and everybody is doing their own thing. We're not a big pack all together. Noname
It has nothing to do with cause. It has everything to do with defensive driving. I would expect you to know the difference. He was obviously annoyed with the group as a whole by his "geezer" remark in the original post. In my opinion he has an aggresive attitude that leads to mistakes. If I'm wrong, well it wouldn't be the first time or the last. Just my opinion.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Route66rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems to me that many of the so called bikers here have too big of an idea of their own importance. So what is my view on this, as I have travelled enough to know that everyone isn't perfect. The OP says 'They cut me off, so I am going to be mad.' Get over it, as the next wrong move may be something you do that may cause someone else to wonder what you were thinking. Life is just too short to be irritqated by something this petty.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:21 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jandlcars
that is why i don't ride packs any more
My sentiments exactly, JC.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:35 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Very very simple problem. When they first started wedging in front of you, you should back off. Let the entire pack follow the lame-o leader and get back in their formation. You don't want to be too close when one of them goes down and takes a few more with him, you'll be next. Just hang back until they get their composure, then when the coast is clear you move over a lane or two to your left, pour on a little coal, just enough to pass them at a safe speed, you dont want them to think your racing or anything. Once you're clear, take er up to about 85 for a minute or so and put some distance between you and them.

Then, carry on the way you were.

What happened was the lame-o leader saw a bike ahead, you, and thought he'd show off by taking his entire pack ahead of you.

my 2c.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:49 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Ride captains, tail gunners, having a plan for passing while in a group. All basic stuff to experienced group riders. I'd expect the "Geezers" riding club have a serious lack of all 3.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:29 AM
rafael53
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
What happened was the lame-o leader saw a bike ahead, you, and thought he'd show off by taking his entire pack ahead of you.
Thought the OP said he was in his truck.

I get that alot and it annoys me too. Not in groups though but just folks that pass you, get in front and then slow down....cars and motorcycles.

But, what you going to do. Pass them or backoff and chill. If we weeded everybody that's done some bone head manuvers on the road we would just have sidewalks I be thinking.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:31 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbnl163
It has nothing to do with cause. It has everything to do with defensive driving. I would expect you to know the difference. He was obviously annoyed with the group as a whole by his "geezer" remark in the original post. In my opinion he has an aggresive attitude that leads to mistakes. If I'm wrong, well it wouldn't be the first time or the last. Just my opinion.
Must of made you upset with the use of the word Geezer......

Old 11-19-2010, 09:28 AM
SeLFiSh 1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RESPECT, what does it mean?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:31 AM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveO-ll
Must of made you upset with the use of the word Geezer......
Yeah, I am slowly approaching Geezerhood, but that isn't what upsets me. The OP describes a situation vaguely similar to the one that killed 4 bikers and a passenger in a cage last week here in So Cal. An aggressive driver who couldn't wait made an illegal pass and left a lot of carnage in his wake. The authorities are still looking for him. I'm so tired of aggro drivers here in So Cal.

Quick Reply: Why accidents happen to motorcycle riders