The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant alert..Improper use of engineering terms

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 07:27 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by FBRR
"Wouldn’t stopping the process of pre-detonation in effect keep the engine from running.."

That's was the point!!!

And as far as getting our hands dirty, I'm not sure what type of engineers you are "training" but calibration engineers MAKES engines run. And when they don't it's our *** in the seat at 116 F in the summer and -35 deg F in the winter. WE have not only a vested interest in getting it right, but are right there when IT doesn't function as designed! We put all those values in the ECM that makes the software function and the engine run!

As to "needing" a thick skin, I could care less, as I said I only wished to help in the collective understanding. Failing that, why bother? I really don't have a need to add anything for those that already know the answer.

Different animals here I think . I've dealt with centrifugal compressor's turning 47,000rpm final stage too and yes on the money is ball park you missed a couple decimal places there .

No way in hell is what harley is still trying to get right going to compare with BILLIONS spent nailing specs you worked with , take a deep breath . I used to get the fresh out of school little fire pissers dropped in my pocket that seemed never to last more that 18 months at the plant .

Same pattern every time big bright way over done over engineered ideas going to change the world as we know it .
A few of our senior people did have a clue so they teamed said person with me . The buzz phrase " Think out of the Box " well I don't even known were the damn box is , I may not be able to give you all the math and tech speak behind what I do but it will always fulfill the project parameters simple fast and reliable with off the shelf materials and I will give you a working ready to use machine . Toyota is using a few of my designs and ideas in their production plants world wide .

I'm much better with a basic machine shop & a good stock pile than I ever was with a power point presentation with bullet points .

Old 10-25-2010, 07:37 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

does that explain their 2 million + vehicle recall's ????

jokin..

Old 10-25-2010, 07:44 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
does that explain their 2 million + vehicle recall's ????
jokin..

Actually you have a point , your seeing what happens when a very successful company starts trimming corners by outsourcing to cheaper sub suppliers . That always bites you in the *** sooner or later and Harley isn't paying attention to that little fact .

Old 10-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Didn't an engineer design those harleys that used to leak oil everywhere?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:13 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
Didn't an engineer design those harleys that used to leak oil everywhere?

Still do from what I've seen , glad I'm not one guess that's why my 38 yr old one doesn't leak .

Old 10-26-2010, 03:15 AM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought I typed it slow enough but, post #82 was a J O K E

Old 10-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,979 Likes on 4,171 Posts
Default ??

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
Didn't an engineer design those Harley's that used to leak oil everywhere?
This was caused by poor casting that were not machined properly if at all. However they only started putting the quad seal in the transmission in the last few years. In that area they depended on the metal to metal seal for a long time. Even my 04 primary cover is a good example. The face that seals is just a casting. It has two dowels to locate it but if you lay it flat on a steel table its out of parallel by over 1/32" of an inch. Its has the support for the starter drive located in it. The $30 gasket is laminated 3 piece slightly v-shaped. This helps. But if you expect it not to leak you better follow the directions starting in center and working out to get it not to leak. The assembly line at Harley even today must be a nightmare for the mechanics. However this is not necessary engineers but more to bean counters

Attached Thumbnails Rant alert..Improper use of engineering terms-scrooge.jpg  

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-26-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:08 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DUDE,....The reason you got jumped on right out of the gate was because you wanted to rant about improper terms & crap like that from a large group of riders who are not engineers. We are trained in different area's!
not too many riders here would know the terminology I use at work because thats not their area, It's mine.
don't expect us to come up to your level of proper wording just because you went to that school!
you were basically pointing out how dumb we all are compared to you!
Hatch.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't understand the anti-engineer tone of this thread. Engineering is a hell of a lot more than just making a drawing and sending it out to the shop. There can be an endless list of requirements the new design must meet; cost and schedules are just the tip of the iceburg. Engineers are directed to improve an existing design and to do at a lower cost. They often don't have the advantage of hindsight when developing a new feature of this design. There can be a 1000 or more details that can screw things up. I can't help but notice that a lot of non-engineering people really don't want to wrap their minds around what an engineer actually does or the challenges he faces. The OP is pissed off because he offered a thread with real content and in return he got flip remarks and Monday morning quarterbacking.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:26 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hatchetman
DUDE,....The reason you got jumped on right out of the gate was because you wanted to rant about improper terms & crap like that from a large group of riders who are not engineers. We are trained in different area's!
I'll give Hatchetman a point on this one. Although I looked for some of the text from the original post, I did not find it and therefore did not read it. However, when posting on a general audience forum, the authour of the OP needs to resist the temptation to use the exact language of science. A good engineer can get his point across in a more straight forward way.

Quick Reply: Rant alert..Improper use of engineering terms