The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you ride with a windshield?
No way
26.35%
Won't leave home without it.
73.65%
Voters: 463. You may not vote on this poll

Windshield. Yes? No?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:53 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Windshield. Yes? No?

Had to go to the doc today. Jumped on the Heritage and took off. Didn't put the windshield back on from cleaning it.

Big mistake. I'll never ride without one again. Too much wind beating me around.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:57 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

I have done that before. Man I must be getting old, because back in the day never had one. But now it is like mastercard, I don't leave home without it.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:57 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

around town under 50mph, its nice riding without it.. but running back and forth to work on the highway, its a must.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

Highway winds at 70 mph just beat me up too much these days without one.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:09 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

My Softail doesn't have a windshield, ......yet. I got beat to death today by some really hard bugs. Eating bugs is just not as fun as it used to be. The wind at speed is an issue, also. I'll be riding my other bike a bit more until I get a quick detachable wimpshield!

Old 10-05-2010, 05:10 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't specify but I'm assuming you mean on my motorcycle? the answer is no way. I do have one in my car though......

Honestly I am always completely baffled by posts about windshields - I simply don't understand the appeal. I've ridden hundreds of miles a day for days at a time and never once have I wished I had a windshield - it simply never occurs to me....... feeling exposed with the wind in my face sounds a bit cliche but for me that's what it's about. When I hear comments like there's too much wind on my motorcyle without a windshield it reminds me of going into a restaurant and ordering a steak dinner but asking them to hold the meat.......

Old 10-05-2010, 05:29 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

I ride to relax. My time on my Harley is quality.

Having the wind buffet my helmet around back and forth for 100 miles is not quality.

I got home today and realized I had been clinching my back muscles against the wind for 100 miles. Both of my hands were numb. From gripping the bars harder I guess.

That sand truck on I-40 wasn't a whole lot of fun either.

Those of you that love it great. Enjoy it to the fullest.

When I was younger I rode with out one.

I'm an old fart now. I'll keep it on the Heritage unless I'm going down to the store.

Oh and CRF.

Seeing how this is a Harley Davidson forum and not a Chevy, Ford or Dodge forum, I really didn't think I needed to be so specific. I guess I was wrong.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Oldtigercub
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of my rides have had a fairing or shield. Too many bugs, small rocks and the like flying around on the road for me to feel comfortable without some protection, especially at highway speeds. I will admit that I used to prefer a large shield that I always looked through, but I have come to like the shorty shields now. I like having a better unobstructed view ov the road, with just enough wind deflection to keep the flying critters and debris off of me.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:36 PM
TerryFXST
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CRF
You didn't specify but I'm assuming you mean on my motorcycle? the answer is no way. I do have one in my car though......

Honestly I am always completely baffled by posts about windshields - I simply don't understand the appeal. I've ridden hundreds of miles a day for days at a time and never once have I wished I had a windshield - it simply never occurs to me....... feeling exposed with the wind in my face sounds a bit cliche but for me that's what it's about. When I hear comments like there's too much wind on my motorcyle without a windshield it reminds me of going into a restaurant and ordering a steak dinner but asking them to hold the meat.......
I'm glad I'm not the only one. My number one brother has a windshield on his Fatboy. I wouldn't hassle him about it or call him names for it, because the truth is the guy is every bit the biker. But, I still don't get it. I'll keep my stripped down Softail.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:39 PM
seph10
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say to those who has never rode with a windshild is, DON"T, it will spoil you,,thats what did me in,,no more mister tough guy for me, and no more bugs in my teeth either,,,,

Quick Reply: Windshield. Yes? No?