The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apples and Oranges

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:16 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts
Default Apples and Oranges

Sorry. I don't like vague Thread Titles, but this really is about Apples and Oranges.

I started to say something in another thread, because I wanted to say something about statistics and regulations. But it wouldn't have sounded right.

In that thread, a Government used statistics to compare against randomly accumulated data to determine what regulations would be. They compared Apples and Oranges.

Sometimes, it's best to think about WHY you're comparing Apples and Oranges. Because it might just be smarter to buy BOTH the Apple AND the Orange, rather than compare them to see what's best.

I'm not disagreeing with any of the data, since it all seems to indicate that being visible is good.

I saw a research study once conducted at an intersection with a traffic light. Video of the intersection was used to postulate a vehicle's trajectory if it had not stopped when the traffic light changed from Green to Red. The study determined that a vehicle that did not stop when the light turned red only had a 17% (I think- it was less than 1/5) chance of hitting another car.

I mean, it's good to have data (as a trained metrologist, I wrote Uncertainty Analyses, and calculated Assurance Ratios and created Measurement Guardbands ). But data is seldom finite, and I try not to incorporate multiple compilations of additive data just to compare them to events that have random occurance patterns of a type totally unassociated with the other data pattern to ascertain a somewhat-nebulous comparison and then make policy decisions that attempt to certify that the study had scientific accuracy to the degree necessary to validate the desired political intentions.

Oops. Sorry. I used to get paid to write about the differences between Apples and Oranges.

That's what we do every day we ride. When a pickup slows in front of me to turn into a shopping center parking lot, I could probably blast down between lanes alongside that pickup and not hit it. But the pickup may have slowed even more to let the car out of the parking lot he was going into to make more room for himself. And, yeah, I probably won't hit that car coming out in front of me as I blast down the dotted line that's supposed to be clear. And if I don't hit it, it would be a blast.

We choose between Apples and Oranges all the time. If Apples are safe and Oranges are a little-less-safe but taste way better, I'm gonna choose some Oranges. But I'm sure going to try to make sure I have enough Apples, as long as it doesn't make my Oranges bad.

But EVERYBODY should be allowed the right to choose whether they want Apples or Oranges. In fact, they should have the right to have BOTH Apples and Oranges.

And the government shouldn't spend a lot of money deciding if I should want Apples, or whether I want Oranges.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:26 PM
artz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like grapes......

Old 10-04-2010, 01:32 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Thats nice.. but what color is Ur bike..?

Old 10-04-2010, 01:35 PM
TazInCT
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bananas for me.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:37 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer

Huh????

Old 10-04-2010, 01:42 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Put down the hash pipe and slowly back away.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:48 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
.......I mean, it's good to have data (as a trained metrologist, .....
Sorry but it was at this point I concluded that there was only a 10% chance that you may or may not be correct.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:51 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some stats are good for indicating trends. Trends are sometimes used to make major decisions.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:16 PM
mswmn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Sorry. I don't like vague Thread Titles, but this really is about Apples and Oranges.

I started to say something in another thread, because I wanted to say something about statistics and regulations. But it wouldn't have sounded right.

In that thread, a Government used statistics to compare against randomly accumulated data to determine what regulations would be. They compared Apples and Oranges.

Sometimes, it's best to think about WHY you're comparing Apples and Oranges. Because it might just be smarter to buy BOTH the Apple AND the Orange, rather than compare them to see what's best.

I'm not disagreeing with any of the data, since it all seems to indicate that being visible is good.

I saw a research study once conducted at an intersection with a traffic light. Video of the intersection was used to postulate a vehicle's trajectory if it had not stopped when the traffic light changed from Green to Red. The study determined that a vehicle that did not stop when the light turned red only had a 17% (I think- it was less than 1/5) chance of hitting another car.

I mean, it's good to have data (as a trained metrologist, I wrote Uncertainty Analyses, and calculated Assurance Ratios and created Measurement Guardbands ). But data is seldom finite, and I try not to incorporate multiple compilations of additive data just to compare them to events that have random occurance patterns of a type totally unassociated with the other data pattern to ascertain a somewhat-nebulous comparison and then make policy decisions that attempt to certify that the study had scientific accuracy to the degree necessary to validate the desired political intentions.

Oops. Sorry. I used to get paid to write about the differences between Apples and Oranges.

That's what we do every day we ride. When a pickup slows in front of me to turn into a shopping center parking lot, I could probably blast down between lanes alongside that pickup and not hit it. But the pickup may have slowed even more to let the car out of the parking lot he was going into to make more room for himself. And, yeah, I probably won't hit that car coming out in front of me as I blast down the dotted line that's supposed to be clear. And if I don't hit it, it would be a blast.

We choose between Apples and Oranges all the time. If Apples are safe and Oranges are a little-less-safe but taste way better, I'm gonna choose some Oranges. But I'm sure going to try to make sure I have enough Apples, as long as it doesn't make my Oranges bad.

But EVERYBODY should be allowed the right to choose whether they want Apples or Oranges. In fact, they should have the right to have BOTH Apples and Oranges.

And the government shouldn't spend a lot of money deciding if I should want Apples, or whether I want Oranges.
I'm sure this makes perfect sense...but you lost me at the bakery...

Old 10-04-2010, 02:51 PM
nilro
Road Captain

That post made me hungry, and confused...

Quick Reply: Apples and Oranges