The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have learned my lesson. A short rant.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010 | 02:30 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member

rule of thumb is about half of the people who say they are coming will show up for anything. And it is a better idea to get people pay ahead of time they will feel more committed. Also then they are out of luck.

Old 10-04-2010 | 04:55 PM
ae4782tt
Road Master

I feel your pain! I hate planning stuff too far in advance and I do not commit myself weeks out either. It seems that work, weather, or other commitments often have a way of popping up at the last minute.

I prolly woulda told ya if there is a spot still available, and I am still welcome I'll let ya know a day or two before if I can make it.

Old 10-04-2010 | 05:55 PM
hardwork2
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Man, I absolutely understand where your coming from. I literally had to join up with some guys in a Goldwing club here in VA, just to get people to ride with. Over and over my wife and myself make plans with my "Harley" buddies to go riding, and one by one they systematically bail. It looks like rain, it might rain, its too hot, its too cold, I'm tired, the wife wants me home....its freaking ridiculous!!!! I will say this, the HOG guys do ride, but my days of paying dues for the privilege of riding with my buddies is long past. Just saying.....don't tell people your going riding, them make excuses.
LOL It sounds like your harley buddies are like mine. Excuses Give me a break. everytime It gets brought up for the past 10 years it is always left up to me to do the reservation itenerary ect. I try to plan around everyones schedule to find a date that nobody has commitments for that weekend. Its gotten to be a freakin nightmare. then half show up and I'm out extra cash.
Like somebody said I'm just going riding and let by everyone else do the same.
WTF happened to hard riding, hard drinking, looking to have a good time harley riders?

Old 10-04-2010 | 06:06 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

I hate planning trips and hate going on overly planned trips. Had a buddy plan one several years ago. He had the route mapped out months in advance, had rooms reserved, even had certain events, locations and restaurants.
A couple guys backed out as soon as he asked for deposits.
During the week before he calls and says that he can't go because his new girlfriend wants to take a trip later in the year, he doesn't have enough vacation time and can't afford 2 trips anyway.
I ended up going on the trip alone (didn't tell him I was still going). The day after I got back he calls and says she broke up with him so he wants to do the trip in a couple weeks.
Damn he was pissed when I said that I just got back.

Old 10-04-2010 | 06:17 PM
lrays280z
Road Master

The larger the group, the bigger PIA it is. It's always something that "comes up.", Or once on the trip, it's a whole new set issues: "I need to stop cause:, I gotta ****, I'm hungry, I'm thirsty, can you slow down, can you speed up, why did you go this way?, I think it's better to just go alone or with your spouse/gf or just one other bike/person that you can get along with. Either camp with your own tent or share a room and split the costs.

Old 10-04-2010 | 06:33 PM
yljkt
Banned

One of the main reasons I ride alone, or with the wife. My next oldest brother will show as long as he's breathing. The others? In the doghouse with the OL, might rain, got the weekend with the kids [divorce], too hot/too cold, whatever. I would demand the cash upfront with NO chance of rebates.

Old 10-05-2010 | 10:47 AM
justjohn
Road Master

Originally Posted by Nightstalker88
4 gallons of Chili...be glad 12 people didn't show.
After 2 days, the first match lit would have blowned the place up, LOL

Old 10-05-2010 | 05:42 PM
hardwork2
|
Road Warrior

Here are my rules for enroute
1)speed is 80 mph on the open road. traffic will dictate any change. after the trafficdelay its back to 80.
2) If you ride a metric or have loud *** pipes that is going to annoy the guy behind you..You get a lucky break you ride in the back.
3)If you got to stop the whole group before the scheduled stop for anything. (You know what you need to do When we are at the fuel stop go take a leak get a snack drink ect.)
Pull out a bottle of Bourbon and the offending party gets to have a shot.
4)Ride safely let the guy behind you know about roadkill debris laying in the road.
These are my basic. We're Harley Riders act like it. Not a a$$hole but a stand up guy.
I wonder how many of you'll would want to ride with me now?

Old 10-05-2010 | 06:05 PM
jafhdo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hardwork2
Here are my rules for enroute
1)speed is 80 mph on the open road. traffic will dictate any change. after the trafficdelay its back to 80.
2) If you ride a metric or have loud *** pipes that is going to annoy the guy behind you..You get a lucky break you ride in the back.
3)If you got to stop the whole group before the scheduled stop for anything. (You know what you need to do When we are at the fuel stop go take a leak get a snack drink ect.)
Pull out a bottle of Bourbon and the offending party gets to have a shot.
4)Ride safely let the guy behind you know about roadkill debris laying in the road.
These are my basic. We're Harley Riders act like it. Not a a$$hole but a stand up guy.
I wonder how many of you'll would want to ride with me now?

Sounds good to me, let's go!!!!

Actually the best luck I've had are when the rides are small groups, 5 or less. I perfer that everyone make their own arrangements/reservations for lodging. Otherwise cash up front. One buddy will be late to his own funeral, another plans his trips to the corner 7-11. Nothing worse then a good ride spent getting stuck between the two.

1. Don't make commitments you can't keep.
2. Don't expect everyone to do the same thing.
3. Enjoy the ride and go with the flow.

Old 10-05-2010 | 08:48 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Please don't take unskilled riders to the Dragon just to make things cheaper. There's enough slowass goobers ruining the run as it is.
Anyone who drinks and rides (including you) needs to stay home and ESPECIALLY off of the Dragon. I hope you were just joking.
80? Many of us don't like to rev engines that hard all day, but it's your call. I save mine for the twisties.

Quick Reply: I have learned my lesson. A short rant.