The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the coldest you've camped?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 04:57 PM
ThreatLevel Midnight
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
Default What's the coldest you've camped?

In a tent (on the ground/air mattress/cot) rather than in any kind of camper (off the ground)?

What equipment did you use? How was it? Any suggestions?

I myself have never camped during any other season than summer, so my coldest was probably somewhere in the 50's. I'd like to extend my season but without freezing me **** off!

TLM

Old 10-02-2010, 05:05 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreatLevel Midnight
In a tent (on the ground/air mattress/cot) rather than in any kind of camper (off the ground)?

What equipment did you use? How was it? Any suggestions?

I myself have never camped during any other season than summer, so my coldest was probably somewhere in the 50's. I'd like to extend my season but without freezing me **** off!

TLM
-5* F. Only once and never again. In the 20's isn't bad with a properly rated sleeping bag. Good bags make all the difference.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:29 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Temp was 40F at 12 am in a tent Columus day weekend in Hither Hills state park, Montauk NY. Full size thick heavy duty sleeping bag on the tent floor. Remember that I used to keep my socks on, and wear a hat to keep the top of my head warm cause I had to keep enough out of the bag to feel that I would be able to breath all night. Never slept in my pants or shirt but would put on a thermal shirt and pants.

I suspected a few nights where it was some where between 32 and 40 but never had a thermometer or didn't want to check the temp at lights out time.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:36 PM
mikedero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-10 in Utah, it was a canvas tent like the ones you see in the cabelas catalogs, it had a wood burning stove. Also a cot to keep off the frozen ground with a 130 mummy type sleeping bag. Also kept fur lined sleepers near by to keep feeding the fire. I love cold weather camping . I do not like hot weather

Old 10-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Ouroboros
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Single digits in Colorado. I had a good bag, decent tent, foam bed pad and heat by my dog. No problem at all. Just make sure the tent is ventilated otherwise it will be a soggy mess in the morning. Fond memorizes, but 25 years later I prefer my Lance camper.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:46 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I've slept comfortably around 0degrees F. Sleeping bags are rated by coldest recommended temperature. You can get small propane heaters that will keep the inside of a tent fairly warm. A lot depends on your own personal tolerance.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:15 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Anybody who voluntarily spends time in temps cold enough to freeze water, is brain damaged!!

Old 10-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-17*C is the coldest that I know for sure. Did that for two weeks (had a couple days off in between).

I've camped in colder, but I don't recall the temps off-hand.

I had two sleeping bags (inner/outer) and a cot.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:38 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Scoutmaster here for 12 years. Many campouts below freezing. One 3 day weekend the HIGH temp for the trip was minus 10. No heat sources allowed in the tents. I have found what is warm for one doesn't work for others. Cots are generally not good cause the air constantly changes under you while a pad or layers of blankets retain your heat. Most important is keeping dry. You sweat in cold as much as warm but it stays in your clothes. Change your socks often. Keep a hat on.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:31 PM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Not sure about the temp. here but it was in the mid to upper 30's. Those clouds came down & drizzled on us half the night. I recommend a better tent than the one pictured. If it had been windy we would have been in trouble. Had a zero bag w/ self inflating air mattress. Slept warm.

Quick Reply: What's the coldest you've camped?