The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the coldest you've camped?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:57 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Growing up in New Brunswick Canada we camped in the winter in the snow in minus weather...Dug a hole in the snow, lined it with pine branches and a foam liner, good sleeping bag and pile the snow on top of you and you stay cozy warm all night....If you have a good quality sleeping bag it's no isse...You won't sweat so a little wet wipe pack should be enough to wash up....Getting dressed is a bitch.,...
I was introduced to winter camping at a very young age by a father that was in the 10th Mountain Division during WW2. They were called the “ski troops” then.

When I got old enough, Thanksgiving to Christmas were spent alone in the great north woods with backpacking equipment & a Model 94 Winchester. Those times are among the most cherished experiences I have.

Among the cold lessons learned—

Sleep on a bed of pine boughs. Use just the small stuff laid in rows with the tips pointing up. It’s soft, insulates, & drains.

Fear water. Never let snow or mud be carried into the tent. After a hard hike, strip & put on dry under layers before cooling off. Never enter your sleeping bag with the clothes you wear during the day. (btw, fold your day clothes neatly or you can wake up to a frozen wad.)

I never needed to heat the tent. The fire stayed outside to warm me & the clothes. I just never wanted to carry extra fuel & I worried about condensation.

Last edited by hollowpoint; 10-24-2010 at 09:04 AM.