The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley/Kawasaki

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 PM
babyray
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley/Kawasaki

Santa Maria HD recently started selling Kawasakis, I think your going to see more dealers going back to how it used to be when they had more than one manufacturer. Only back then Harley was usually the sideline choice.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:00 AM
nilro
Road Captain

IMO, I think it would be funny to go to a multiple make dealership like that. Kind of like the old David Allan Coe song, "where bikers stare at cowboys who are laughing at the hippies."

Old 09-02-2010, 09:03 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by nilro
IMO, I think it would be funny to go to a multiple make dealership like that. Kind of like the old David Allan Coe song, "where bikers stare at cowboys who are laughing at the hippies."
Who are praying they'll get out of here alive. Haha. Great song.

Maybe some one thinking of a kawi may see a harley and say wow, thats more like it.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Kapture1
Advanced

Im sure in this economy, like everyone else, they are trying to do more to make more money.

Plus more people could prob afford a Kawasaki than a Harley right now, and the dealership is going to jump onboard for increased sales and the nice bonus check at the end of each year.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Dog Father
Cruiser

Good move for the dealer but I don't think this would favor HD. Unless you want a HD, the price and features on other bikes are more appealing. My father in-law ended up with a new Vulcan 900 cause it was so cheap. Then I got my Heritage so I think he is regretting it now!

Old 09-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Romark
Road Master

My local long time dealer has sold Kawasaki's and Harley's for a long, long time. 25+ years. They used to have a small shop where the HD's were in the back and the Kaw's in the front.

They built a much larger and nicer HD brand shop and tried to sell kawasaki's out of it. This time, since HD's have gained in popularity, the HD's are in the front.

Kawasaki had enough. They made them open up a stand alone shop for the Kaw's next door on the "old" shop.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:06 PM
HBomb74
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The HD dealer here is owned and operated by RideNow powersports. That wouldn't surprise me at all. Kawasaki offers a pretty good product.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:44 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LMAO.

Santa Maria? The majority of the population is day laborers. Everyone that has money around there for the most part is too snooty to be seen on a HD anyway.

Maybe they started with the Kawi's to expand to a broader client base. It's an either or proposition. They will either sell more Kawi's because they are less expensive and end up being Kawi exclusive or the people with $$$ coming down from Pismo & SLO will look at both and say nah HD has more curb appeal.

Last edited by BBStacker; 09-02-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:46 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Romark
My local long time dealer has sold Kawasaki's and Harley's for a long, long time. 25+ years. They used to have a small shop where the HD's were in the back and the Kaw's in the front.

They built a much larger and nicer HD brand shop and tried to sell kawasaki's out of it. This time, since HD's have gained in popularity, the HD's are in the front.

Kawasaki had enough. They made them open up a stand alone shop for the Kaw's next door on the "old" shop.

We have dealer here that does the same thing. They've been selling Yamaha's and Harley's as far back as I can remember

Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't really see how that would make much of a diiference for hd, if you sold fords and chevvies on the same lot, folks that like fords would buy fords and likewise. Maybe a sidline of atvs might draw in some additional revenue, but don't really see it hurting die hard harley riders which is what hd depends upon.

Quick Reply: Harley/Kawasaki