The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike vs dog

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big_al
I got chased by a german shepperd when I was like ten on a honda 50cc I accelerated as much as it would go and the SOB still caught up to me and bit me I saved it and did not fall but that has been the one and only time.
That was me too exactly, except I had a CT70.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:22 AM
DanD
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

our neighbor has a dog that has developed a problem as of late...they try to keep him in,but he gets out once in awhile,bit me across my foot as I was riding to my drive the other day,barely felt it through my boots though.he ran like hell for home soon as I stopped and got off the bike though.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in '88, I was into jogging. A large german shepherd was into charging/snarling/dripping saliva. One day, I'd had enough. I bought a can of Mace. Not that sissy pepper spray. Mace. The real stuff.

I let the dog charge. When it came to the edge of its yard, I emptied half of the can onto its head and back, drenching its fur. It sort of shivered all over and want home, looking confused. Last I saw it, the big dog was squeezing through its doggy door into the kitchen.

WHAT THE DOG LEARNED: People are strange. You threaten to kill them and they spray you with a cool, refreshing liquid. I'm hungry. Wonder what that damn cat is up to.

WHAT I LEARNED: Mace has no effect on dogs.

WHAT THE DOG'S OWNER LEARNED: Mace evaporates slowly and the vapor saturates every room in the house. A house filled with Mace vapor is not a pleasant place to stay. The dog is forever banished to a chain in the yard.

WHAT YOU LEARNED BY READING THIS: Nothing. You can't shoot Mace or pepper spray from a moving motorcycle.

WHAT THE ROO DOES ABOUT DOGS CHASING HIS BIKE: You, too, can handle dogs like RoosterBoots does. This method works every time and makes dog chasing FUN!

1) Drive past dog. Oh, heavens! That big mean dog is chasing me!
2) Accelerate smoothly away.
3) Adjust your speed to match the dog's speed. Remain ten to twenty yards in front of the dog.
4) Make whistling and/or kissing sounds to encourage the doggy to keep chasing you. If the dog goes home, go back and repeat steps 1-3.

Scoring:

Dog gets 1 block from home (2 points)
Dog gets 1 mile from home (3 points)
Dog suffers heat stroke (4 points)
Dog almost makes it past Chinese restaurant (5 points)
Dog tries to follow you across freeway (6 points plus 1 point for each lane successfully crossed)
Dog stops to mate with expensive dog breen down the block (1 point)

Roo! (238 points and counting)

Old 09-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Uncle Nick
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Great post roosterboots!

Sounds like a cool game, I bet a collie would chase for miles!

Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 PM
lambchopp
Cruiser
Lightbulb the one in north Carolina

the one i ran over in N.Carolina wasnt that happy.I would have attempted to miss it,but it jumped out un front if me.And didnt want to bother the local methlab dealer-lookin fellers, to appologise fir killin thier she-wa-wa guard dog.it WAS an accident.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:29 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Had a bulldog that chased me each time I passed his house. He had a habit of looking at my front wheel while running the left of my bike. One day a large 50's Chrysler was coming from the opposite direction. I moved to the left and he hit the car head on. Went back later and saw broken glass, dirt from the undercarriage, ect. Later in the week the dog sat in the front yard taped and bandaged. After about 6 weeks he was back at it. His new strategy was to stay to the right of me. Swear to God I'm not making this up. Just a few feet at first and after a few days he's up to full song again. Next thing he runs into is a street sign. Again he's bandaged up and moving REAL slow. After that when I rode by he just ran in circles in his front yard, well off the road. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:42 PM
ArkiKen
Advanced

Shoot the damn thing

Old 09-07-2010, 09:17 AM
IRideMineEverywhere
Tourer

My dad hit a grown german shepherd doing about 60 crossing RR tracks back in the 70's. His left leg and right arm are an inch shorter because of it. It almost killed him. After he recovered and started riding again he bought an old double barrel .12 gauge and cut it off REAL short. I never saw him actually shoot any dogs with it, but occasionally there would be a new notch cut into the handle... I personally carry one of the steel "snap batons" used by LEO's. I've only had to use it once and the dog hasn't chased me since.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:33 AM
exelonsrr
Novice

I had one chase me on my dirtbike once. I used ot live in a residential area, surrounded by woods. I would ride through the subdivision to the trails. Well this little boarder colli or somethingl like it would chase me every time. It started out I would just speed up and leave hime in the dust, but he kept getting closer and closer. He finally came all the way out and got hes snout, ear, jowl or somethin into the brake rotor. I felt it in the bars and he yelped off. Then the owner comes to my house and says I hit his dog. Well F*** me right, tell him the story and he doesnt care. Wants me to pay the local vet bill.

So I call the home owners association, enforce the leash, tie up law. Case dismissed in court, cost him 500 in lawyer and court cost, and 300 at the vet...

Funny part, after all the riding of the day, still had apeice of dog in the front rotor... No cost to me.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HillBilly73
On YOUR property then shoot the damn thing.
My thoughts exactly.