The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

baffle or no baffle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:42 PM
cjwolf1979
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baffle or no baffle?

I have just recently purchased vance and hines short shots staggered and I like pretty loud pipes. I have heard that even with the baffles that these pipes are fairly loud. I would like to hear from some people who know??

Old 08-12-2010, 09:28 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I see your new here. This is the altogether wrong section. First, you need to tell us what year and model bike we're talkin' here. Then hit up that section for advice. Dyna, Softail, Evo, Twinkie. Theres even a section that deals with exhausts. Those issues are important to where you need to post to get answers. Exhausts are a pretty popular subject and you should get lots of feedback. I for one could care less about the few ft lbs of lost torque I suffer with straight threw pipes. I like a particular sound...but thats not what your asking.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:47 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

alot of people just read this section so this section is fine for a general question on exhaust sound. i've posted in other sections and you can wait a month before someone replies it's like a ghostown.

i have the V&H longshots and with the baffles they're perfect. i like the sound of a well tuned HD with v&h pipes but not really the sound of overly loud pipes (although i'll never begrudge a man for running without baffles).

tough to say with the short shots, my idea would be ride with the baffles, then turn a ratchet a few times and run without them. don't worry about loss of torque and horsepower because you already lost it with the short pipes.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:06 PM
MamacitaSteph
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard the V&H short shots staggered. They're some of the lodest pipes I've heard. They're also my favorite pipes. If you're planning on getting them, I'd say go ahead and leave the baffles in them. They're plenty loud with them, and alot of places are adding noise levels to their city ordinances, so you'd have to be careful when traveling not to catch the ears of the cops.