The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to helping fellow riders out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 10:19 PM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What happened to helping fellow riders out?

Watch advertisement video for the HD Zumo 665, at about 30 seconds into the video. I know they are saying, hey if you had our GPS you would not be lost......but to promote leaving riders on the side of the road who obviously needing some help I thought sent the wrong message. I am not usually into MoCo bashing but this struck me as funny, since I always try to help other riders out when they are stuck on the side of the road.........

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Am I off base here or do you think they are sending the wrong vibe out?

Old 07-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd rather be lost.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Wicked Cricket
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
I'd rather be lost.
Mr too! A GPS on a bike of mine, you'll never see. With the advent of cell phones, stranded bikers no longer means what it use to. If someone looks like theiy're in trouble (no visable cell phone, that "ah $hit look on their face", I still stop.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:37 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
I'd rather be lost.
Men dont get lost, We explore.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Nabubba
Road Master

Don't want a GPS at all. I can still read a map and enjoy being lost. Heck it isn't a good ride unless yo do at least 3 u turns a day...lol

Like it was said cell phones have become common place so many folks have already called for help but I still stop and make sure all is well and especially in the heat of the summer someone may need some water or whatnot.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:59 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

You don't always have cell service. That's why I carry a Spot Satellite Messenger. I'll slow down and give someone the thumbs up or thumbs down to see if they need help or not.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:22 AM
USAFAUX2004
4th Gear

Originally Posted by mcrider1
You don't always have cell service. That's why I carry a Spot Satellite Messenger. I'll slow down and give someone the thumbs up or thumbs down to see if they need help or not.

Unless in a serious hurry, that's the right thing to do. Especially places out west though particularly the deserts where cell service can still be spotty to this day.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Wingnut51
Tourer

Originally Posted by RFG
Men dont get lost, We explore.
Hell, I'm not lost. I'm taking the scenic route.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:24 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like my GPS. But then I if I were there, I wouldn't have told the cave man who invented the wheel that I'd rather walk . Guess I ain't a real Biker?

Old 08-02-2010, 12:32 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

That "helpin' out" concept has been slowly dying for years now. Sure, there are those of us who will stop, but for everyone who will , there are hundreds who won't. Too preoccupied with livin' their life, gotta get there quick, don't want to miss anything. Most of them never thought maybe they would make a good life long friend, get the satisfaction that comes with getting someone back on the road, even if it cost you some of your time on your trip. Too much concern today to be at the event, the journey there and all the experiences related to that journey are becoming lost .......... A few years back, me and the ol' lady fried a coil on the shovel about twenty miles short of a bike gathering in Ohio. We had the seat off, tools out and sat wrenchin' on the side of the road. Luckily, we had a call into the nearest dealer (about 90 miles) and they were going to bring us a coil after closing. No one going by knew this. Hundreds of bikes, mostly Harley, rode by. A few waved, most pretended not to notice. Only guy who stopped was a teenage kid in a little pickup. He was nice enough to run into town and get us some water and snacks for our wait. Used to be if I had a problem I could count on another rider coming by and stopping. Today, it's my cell and my experience, I ain't countin' on none of the "new age" riders.

Quick Reply: What happened to helping fellow riders out?